Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Student Grant*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Nicole. wrote: »
    I submitted my application on June 14th and I only got my letter now. It depends on whether your parents were working etc. Documents I was asked for were P21s and P60s as both my parents were working last year. For myself I needed proof of residency and birth cert. Obviously sending copies not originals. If someone wasn't working you would need P21S and P45s and proof of social welfare payment.

Thank you so much :D You've been a great help to me!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Sent my application on the 19th of June and still havent heard back:/

Also for anyone that did hear back, just wondering what documents did they ask for if your parents were self employed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Sent my application on the 19th of June and still havent heard back:/

Also for anyone that did hear back, just wondering what documents did they ask for if your parents were self employed?

Haven't finished my app. yet but I've been told it's pretty much the same documentation for HEAR, except for 2011 instead of 2012.

So, for self-employed parents that would be a notice of assessment I believe. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

Could anybody tell me whats the difference between Student contribution and Tuition Fees??
    Which is the €2250 fee?
    I'm trying to figure out will i get any sort of grant and i'm awful confused!
    Any help is appreciated!

Hey, firstly I would advise you to go to the Leaving cert boards page, they have a thread about all things to do with student grants. Secondy, the student contribution is the 2,250 euro one. Tuition fees are the price of the course itself, first time undergraduates don't have to pay it, the government does. The following websites should help: Student Finance, Citizens information and Spun Out has a little information on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Got my application in the post today after applying on the 22nd of June

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

Does anyone know the cut-off income point for one dependent child? I've looked at the website but I can't work it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

silversky wrote: »
    Does anyone know the cut-off income point for one dependent child? I've looked at the website but I can't work it out

They're here:

http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

So below 55,920 you would get half fees paid
    Below 51,380 you get full fees
    below 47,205 you get full fees & 25% standard rate which is 305 if you're adjacent and 755 if you're not
    & so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

i received my grant letter today on the documents i have to get sent away. I will sent them all away before the leaving cert results on the 15th.

but i'm just wondering if i dont get the points i want what do i do then with the grand application? do i just ring up the susi crowd and tell them i dont need the grant

anyhelp thanks in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭INFODAD

just to let everyone know. i needed to get the social welfare form filled out for this process. i needed the FIS people to do this in the dept of social protection longford. SUSI said it had to be their OFFICIAL form to be filled out by the dept,but the dept said they only issue THEIR OWN OFFICIAL form with all the same details but in a different format. i informed SUSI of this problem and they said if i send the dept of social protections form with a cover letter explaining the situation it will sufice. just thought id pass on the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

INFODAD wrote: »
    just to let everyone know. i needed to get the social welfare form filled out for this process. i needed the FIS people to do this in the dept of social protection longford. SUSI said it had to be their OFFICIAL form to be filled out by the dept,but the dept said they only issue THEIR OWN OFFICIAL form with all the same details but in a different format. i informed SUSI of this problem and they said if i send the dept of social protections form with a cover letter explaining the situation it will sufice. just thought id pass on the info.

Where can one source the OFFICIAL SUSI form ???

• Advertisement

Zipppy wrote: »
    Where can one source the OFFICIAL SUSI form ???

i think this is it

http://www.cdvec.ie/getattachment/Student-Supports/Grants/Social-Welfare-Statement-2012.pdf.aspx

sorry my link doesnt seem to work.
    link above works perfect.

IF ANYONE GETS ANY JOY WITH THE FAMILY INCOME SUPPLEMENT DEPT (FIS) REGARDING THIS FORM PLEASE POST HERE. THEY INSISTED THEY ONLY ISSUE THEIR OWN DOCUMENTATION TO ME.

Many thanks for the link !!

no problem. hope you have better luck than i did. maybe it was the fact it was the FIS i was dealing with and not the full welfare dept. let us know how you get on.

INFODAD wrote: »
    no problem. hope you have better luck than i did. maybe it was the fact it was the FIS i was dealing with and not the full welfare dept. let us know how you get on.

I believe another person had this problem too, just go back & speak to someone else about it.

Sunny!! wrote: »
    i received my grant letter today on the documents i have to get sent away. I will sent them all away before the leaving cert results on the 15th.

but i'm just wondering if i dont get the points i want what do i do then with the grand application? do i just ring up the susi crowd and tell them i dont need the grant

anyhelp thanks in advance:)

You shouldn't need to do anything, because SUSI will want proof of your acceptance to college before giving you the grant. I hope you get the points & course you want though!

Does anybody know exactly what they ask for in the last stage of the online application?
    Im kinda panicking here because both my parents are self-employed and it's proving very difficult to get all the info. together.
    So If anybody could tell me what exactly I need to finish my onlin app. asap I would be very very grateful!
    If your not sure where I'm at, I just finished putting in my parents and siblings details.

Also, in the first step it said who do you want to apply to, and SUSI was the only option so I clicked that.
    But then when filling in my brother's details, as he is applying for a grant too, I had to choose which one he was applying for it it had a really long list, including my own county's awarding body?
    So, which am I applying to!?

biohaiid wrote: »
    Does anybody know exactly what they ask for in the last stage of the online application?
    Im kinda panicking here because both my parents are self-employed and it's proving very difficult to get all the info. together.
    So If anybody could tell me what exactly I need to finish my onlin app. asap I would be very very grateful!
    If your not sure where I'm at, I just finished putting in my parents and siblings details.

Also, in the first step it said who do you want to apply to, and SUSI was the only option so I clicked that.
    But then when filling in my brother's details, as he is applying for a grant too, I had to choose which one he was applying for it it had a really long list, including my own county's awarding body?
    So, which am I applying to!?

The last stage is about your family income. Mostly it just wants amounts (though my parents aren't self employed so I didn't pay much attention to that part) but it will be about how much they earned in 2011 & that sort of thing. You can always go ahead & look at that section, save your progress & go back & finish it later! It will save the completed parts but I don't think it saves any partially completed sections.

Also the thing with your brother, the reason it's coming up is anyone who has got a grant in previous years used to apply to their local authority, and they have to apply there again this year. Only people who are new applicants or never received the grant apply to SUSI, so if your brother got it last year he might have to apply somewhere else and that's why they're asking.

• Advertisement

Muir wrote: »
    The last stage is about your family income. Mostly it just wants amounts (though my parents aren't self employed so I didn't pay much attention to that part) but it will be about how much they earned in 2011 & that sort of thing. You can always go ahead & look at that section, save your progress & go back & finish it later! It will save the completed parts but I don't think it saves any partially completed sections.

Also the thing with your brother, the reason it's coming up is anyone who has got a grant in previous years used to apply to their local authority, and they have to apply there again this year. Only people who are new applicants or never received the grant apply to SUSI, so if your brother got it last year he might have to apply somewhere else and that's why they're asking.

Thanks!
    Yeah, I was trying to go ahead and look but you have to have the section completed before you do that.
    I was just gonna put in figures off the top of my head and change later, but U'm afraid I wont be able to change or something. haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

biohaiid wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Yeah, I was trying to go ahead and look but you have to have the section completed before you do that.
    I was just gonna put in figures off the top of my head and change later, but U'm afraid I wont be able to change or something. haha

Just put in a random figure and move on!! As long as you don't click validate application and click save progress nothing will happen trust me! I did the exact same thing myself :) I actually put in €1 for my dads income and just moved on and put in the right amount later when the family accountant was there to call out the right figure! So yeah just keep going. As long as you don't click validate application at the very end you'll be grand :D

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Just put in a random figure and move on!! As long as you don't click validate application and click save progress nothing will happen trust me! I did the exact same thing myself :) I actually put in €1 for my dads income and just moved on and put in the right amount later when the family accountant was there to call out the right figure! So yeah just keep going. As long as you don't click validate application at the very end you'll be grand :D
    Great, thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Rebekahx

Just got a letter saying I'm eligible for the next part, happy days. Just have a small question. My mam works one day a week cleaning in an office, cash in hand job. On the form it says that I need to send her p60, but she doesn't have one due to being paid in hand. Her employer said that he would write a letter to this effect to send in lieu of the p60, would anyone know if this would be acceptable? Thank you.

Rebekahx wrote: »
    Just got a letter saying I'm eligible for the next part, happy days. Just have a small question. My mam works one day a week cleaning in an office, cash in hand job. On the form it says that I need to send her p60, but she doesn't have one due to being paid in hand. Her employer said that he would write a letter to this effect to send in lieu of the p60, would anyone know if this would be acceptable? Thank you.

Cash in the hand is the 'black economy' ... you really shouldn't have mentioned it at all...
    Could get messy if revenue found out that employer was paying cash in hand with no returns to revenue (regardless of tax employer is due to pay PRSI contributions for all employees and, depending on payment amount, your mum could be liable for USC.
    I wouldn't imagine a letter would suffice...P60 will be required..any way you can backtrack and say this employment did not happen in 2011??

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭wibblin

so got the letter for the grant and I'm slightly confused! Was just wondering what they meant by certified copy of my passport? is that just a photocopy of my passport? if not how/ where would i go about getting a certified copy? also for evidence of doing the junior and leaving cert could i use a photocopy of my junior cert results and say my cao options letter as evidence?

if anyone could help clear this up for me, i'd really appreciate it!:D

wibblin wrote: »
    so got the letter for the grant and I'm slightly confused! Was just wondering what they meant by certified copy of my passport? is that just a photocopy of my passport? if not how/ where would i go about getting a certified copy? also for evidence of doing the junior and leaving cert could i use a photocopy of my junior cert results and say my cao options letter as evidence?

if anyone could help clear this up for me, i'd really appreciate it!:D

Photocopy it and bring photocopy to Garda station where theywill stamp and sign it (bring proof of iD as well as passposrt and remember than most Garda stations will only do this 9-5)

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

Ya know to prove you lived in Ireland for the last 3 of 5 years? Will an addresed envelope/letter with a date do?

ConTheCat wrote: »
    Ya know to prove you lived in Ireland for the last 3 of 5 years? Will an addresed envelope/letter with a date do?

i think junior cert results will do for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Sunny!! wrote: »
    i think junior cert results will do for that
    Or a letter from your school.

Advertisement