Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Student Grant*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

I was just wondering I was hoping to get into my first choice which was nuig unfortunately I didn't get enough points and I know for sure I won't be going this year. I've decided to do a plc course for the year and apply for my course threw that next year. But what I wondering is can I still get the grant if I'm doing a plc? Like I got the letter the last day saying what documents I have to send off but can I still get the grant even though I'm doing a plc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Princessxx wrote: »
    I was just wondering I was hoping to get into my first choice which was nuig unfortunately I didn't get enough points and I know for sure I won't be going this year. I've decided to do a plc course for the year and apply for my course threw that next year. But what I wondering is can I still get the grant if I'm doing a plc? Like I got the letter the last day saying what documents I have to send off but can I still get the grant even though I'm doing a plc?

Yes, you can get the grant for a PLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Okay so I sent my application in the 19th of June and I decided to ring on Monday there as I hadnt heard back. They told me that they had posted back the information already but I still haven't got it:/ really annoying cos I'm gunna now have to get a massive loan out if I don't find out whether I get the grant soon:/ this happen to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Went to the social welfare office but I now need to wait for information to be sent to me, so that I can bring this information and the form back to them to be signed.. They could not just access it and fill in the form.. Very frustrating. Wish I had just checked what docs we may need and gone and gotten them, instead of waiting to see what they request. I feel there may be a back log of people now at this point..

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lauz94

Does anybody know when you get final confirmation of the grant? :) I sent back the relevant documents that they asked me to send back a few weeks ago and just wondering if I should expext another reply soon? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

So I've been accepted for the grant, not sure how much of it I will be getting but I'm assuming that if I get a job in the next few months I'd have to put it on the form next year which would probably decrease the amount I'd be receiving?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Luno wrote: »
    So I've been accepted for the grant, not sure how much of it I will be getting but I'm assuming that if I get a job in the next few months I'd have to put it on the form next year which would probably decrease the amount I'd be receiving?

When did you get accepted for it and how did you find out?(letter/email or whatever) I sent the documents off last week but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

When did you get accepted for it and how did you find out?(letter/email or whatever) I sent the documents off last week but haven't heard anything back from them yet.

Oh sorry, I just meant that I've sent my documents back but I assumed that if they're all correct I'll be getting some form of grant. Sorry for not being clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭BellaVerita

Luno wrote: »
    Oh sorry, I just meant that I've sent my documents back but I assumed that if they're all correct I'll be getting some form of grant. Sorry for not being clear.

Oh right, no that's fine. Them asking for the documents probably means that the person will receive the grant though, right? I suppose they wouldn't ask for documents if they didn't plan on giving the grant.

We got that request for documents. Said we've passed the initial stage and they want certain documents now. Now it's in the hands of social welfare waiting for a document to be sent to me, that I can bring to my local office for them to stamp another document.. Wish they had just asked for everything in the get go, rather than a month going by and deadlines getting tighter.

Will the grant payments now be made monthly? Think I read that somewhere. Does anyone know what expected start date of grant payments will be, assuming they get all the paperwork before course starts. I feel there's going to be delays..

• Advertisement

Oh right, no that's fine. Them asking for the documents probably means that the person will receive the grant though, right? I suppose they wouldn't ask for documents if they didn't plan on giving the grant.

Yeah I'd presume so, I'm fairly confident I'll receive some form of grant but for people who are uncertain I can see how the wait for a reply would be annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I haven't finished my online app. yet (It's complicated, accountants sorting out stuff).
    So while I am tight on time, could anyone tell me the documents I need to start getting together?
    Both my parents are self employed, my mother received Social Welfare in 2011, my brother is starting 3rd level this year too, then I have a sister in secondary and a brother in primary ..
    I think that should be enough info.
    Please help :/

After we submitted the online application, they wrote out about a month later looking for documentation. It will give you a list of what you will need. Most likely you'll need a copy of your junior cert results to show residence. There was also a form for social welfare that I printed out and the social welfare office will stamp. If your mother was on Illness benefit, that request will go through Dublin. My local social welfare office rang the dept for me and I'm waiting for that info, then it'll be back to my local office to get it stamped. I can't remember what site I downloaded that from , but I'll take a look and see if I can provide a link - or does someone else have it hand ?

I don't know about self employed but remember you won't need the documents to submit online. Check the closing date for online - I think someone mentioned 31st previously.

Muir wrote: »

I literally just found those exact links!hah.
    Thanks all the same though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AK123

I received the letter telling me what I need the only problem is I cannot find my P45. I have my P21 but I can't find my P45. Is it essential to have it does anyone know?

Oh, one more question.
    I don;t have my original long form birth cert anymore.
    It was lost and I now have a replacement regular one as they do not print long form anymore.
    Will this do?

biohaiid wrote: »
    Oh, one more question.
    I don;t have my original long form birth cert anymore.
    It was lost and I now have a replacement regular one as they do not print long form anymore.
    Will this do?

http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/
    You can order your long form from there so they do still print them. It actually says here:
    http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/content/bdmonline/cms.nsf/content/f.a.qs

that short form is no longer acceptable & they only print long form. So maybe yours is long form?

http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/
    You can order your long form from there so they do still print them. It actually says here:
    http://www.birthsdeathsmarriages.ie/content/bdmonline/cms.nsf/content/f.a.qs

that short form is no longer acceptable & they only print long form. So maybe yours is long form?

When I went to get mine they would only do short form :/
    I remember my long form one, my new one definately isn't long form.
    Is anything else acceptable, like a certified copy of my passport?

AK123 wrote: »
    I received the letter telling me what I need the only problem is I cannot find my P45. I have my P21 but I can't find my P45. Is it essential to have it does anyone know?

Yeah, they'll expect it if it's on your checklist. Ring up revenue, they should be able to send it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Sure why would you need your long form one? I photocopied my long form Birth Cert and resized it to fit onto an A4 sheet. You can send off whatever birthcirt you have :)

I'm not actually sure. I know when I applied to Dublin City Council before I was able to go in with my passport & they photocopied it. But SUSI seem to want the birth cert, could you not just apply for your long form on there? Or maybe ring SUSI & ask if a certified copy of passport is okay.

I'm not actually sure. I know when I applied to Dublin City Council before I was able to go in with my passport & they photocopied it. But SUSI seem to want the birth cert, could you not just apply for your long form on there? Or maybe ring SUSI & ask if a certified copy of passport is okay.

I'll ring them. I could order it but I'm afraid it wont come in time.
    It wasn't even 2 years ago I got my other cert, did things just change recently?

I'll ring them. I could order it but I'm afraid it wont come in time.
    It wasn't even 2 years ago I got my other cert, did things just change recently?

Well the online deadline is the 31st, but I don't think there's a real deadline for sending documents back because that depends on SUSI telling people what they need to send in. I'm still waiting on a new checklist off them.
    I have no idea when it changed, just googled & that came up. I would be wary sending short form if it says that short form is no longer accepted, but SUSI may not mind if you ring & ask.

Well the online deadline is the 31st, but I don't think there's a real deadline for sending documents back because that depends on SUSI telling people what they need to send in. I'm still waiting on a new checklist off them.
    I have no idea when it changed, just googled & that came up. I would be wary sending short form if it says that short form is no longer accepted, but SUSI may not mind if you ring & ask.

Oh, I didn't know there was a deadline for documents too .. I'm going to see the accountant tomorrow and get this underway, and I'll ring SUSI too.
    Thanks for the help. :)

Oh, I didn't know there was a deadline for documents too .. I'm going to see the accountant tomorrow and get this underway, and I'll ring SUSI too.
    Thanks for the help. :)

I meant I don't think there really is one for documents. The 31st is just for the online part. You just get documents as soon as you're able. No problem.

I meant I don't think there really is one for documents. The 31st is just for the online part. You just get documents as soon as you're able. No problem.

Ooh okay, phew!haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Anyone have a list of what is accepted as proof of residency for last 5 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Zipppy wrote: »
    Anyone have a list of what is accepted as proof of residency for last 5 years?

Official copy of junior cert resulted, for the fifth time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Is it quicker to apply for a P12 by phone or using PAYE Anytime?
    Currently waiting for the PAYE Anytime pin, should I request by phone also?

Advertisement