Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Student Grant*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

How long after the application does it usually take for a response of what you need to send (or notification that you aren't eligible)?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

has anyone received confirmation of grant yet? Send in the documents requests in the mail yesterday so now just a waiting game for my daughter. And then the payments are going to be monthly right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Don't expect to hear back until at least mid-September.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AK123

They're email service is not helpful. Emailed them last friday night and heard no reply so ended up ringing them today only to say that they are very busy but its takes 3 minutes to write an email back!
    I think monthly instalments is ridiculous as accommodation require to pay in full/half or in three which isn't very good on parents such as mine who are jobless!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I emailed them yesterday around 3pm, despite their promise to give you a reply: 'within 1 working day', they haven't bothered contacting me back.

And giving students an excuse 'we're too busy' is ridiculous, they're only active from about May-September, they should be able to process the information quicker..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Same here emailed them 3 or 4 days ago and still haven't heard back:/. I'm just wondering I'm sending off my documents on Tuesday its the earliest I can get my last document done. How long does it usually take the letter to come back them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Nazata wrote: »
    How long after the application does it usually take for a response of what you need to send (or notification that you aren't eligible)?

Can someone please answer this as I am in the same situation ..

I'm surprised people are having trouble getting email responses, they were very prompt a couple of weeks ago. I'm betting a lot of LC students waited until after results/offers to apply & now they are really really busy. It's one place dealing with over 50,000 students.

AK123 - monthly installments might seem stupid to you, but you have to consider the fact that when people got it all in one or two payments, many hadn't been paid up to the time college ended for the Summer. The monthly payments is to insure people actually get paid on time instead of when college has ended already. You could ask in your college for some financial assistance or maybe they will allow you to pay it later/over a longer period of time. They do understand people have financial difficulties.

Princessxx - look a few posts above, you most likely will not hear back until mid-September. Tuesday will be perfectly fine but you are going to wait a while to hear back, same as everyone else.

WarZoneBrother - it's difficult to answer as people who applied online the same day don't all hear back at the same time, there are weeks in the differences of responses. But you definitely wait a few weeks after applying online, probably 4-6 in many cases.

What sort of emails are people sending? I imagine they are getting loads of emails asking "when will I hear back?" which will be taking away attention from bigger problems. The grant system is and always has been very slow. Everyone else is in the same position with waiting to hear back etc. Your college should be understanding of the fact that you are waiting to hear from SUSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Harblarblar

Nazata wrote: »

Can someone please answer this as I am in the same situation ..

Well I applied on the 19th of June and only got my pack in the post today..but I think that might've been cos my situations a little more complicated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

does any one know the form to prove your waiting on the grant and you are eligible?

Is that the form you receive where they ask for all the documentation etc.

is this the form requred for registration?

• Advertisement

Sunny!! wrote: »
    does any one know the form to prove your waiting on the grant and you are eligible?

Is that the form you receive where they ask for all the documentation etc.

is this the form requred for registration?

Did your college say you require a form for registration? I've never required anything like that. If they do require it though, the letter asking for documentation should be adequate.

Muir wrote: »
    Did your college say you require a form for registration? I've never required anything like that. If they do require it though, the letter asking for documentation should be adequate.

yes it said a form to say your eligible they said

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭SystemsGuy

To anyone wondering, ye should get your confirmation sometime in September but the first payment doesn't come in until the 9th of October. See here: http://www.gmit.ie/register-at-gmit/grants/index.html

Sunny!! wrote: »
    yes it said a form to say your eligible they said

Well SUSI have told people that they wont get confirmation until mid-September, so just show them the letter asking for documentation, that's the best that anyone will have anyway.

SystemsGuy wrote: »
    To anyone wondering, ye should get your confirmation sometime in September but the first payment doesn't come in until the 9th of October. See here: http://www.gmit.ie/register-at-gmit/grants/index.html

That's for the TLT grant, not the Higher Education grant. It will be October before payments are made, but people can not expect that those will definitely be the dates.

Well SUSI have told people that they wont get confirmation until mid-September, so just show them the letter asking for documentation, that's the best that anyone will have anyway.

oh ok and then send the confirmation to the intitute when i get it thats fine thanks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I'm surprised people are having trouble getting email responses, they were very prompt a couple of weeks ago. I'm betting a lot of LC students waited until after results/offers to apply & now they are really really busy. It's one place dealing with over 50,000 students.

AK123 - monthly installments might seem stupid to you, but you have to consider the fact that when people got it all in one or two payments, many hadn't been paid up to the time college ended for the Summer. The monthly payments is to insure people actually get paid on time instead of when college has ended already. You could ask in your college for some financial assistance or maybe they will allow you to pay it later/over a longer period of time. They do understand people have financial difficulties.

Princessxx - look a few posts above, you most likely will not hear back until mid-September. Tuesday will be perfectly fine but you are going to wait a while to hear back, same as everyone else.

WarZoneBrother - it's difficult to answer as people who applied online the same day don't all hear back at the same time, there are weeks in the differences of responses. But you definitely wait a few weeks after applying online, probably 4-6 in many cases.

What sort of emails are people sending? I imagine they are getting loads of emails asking "when will I hear back?" which will be taking away attention from bigger problems. The grant system is and always has been very slow. Everyone else is in the same position with waiting to hear back etc. Your college should be understanding of the fact that you are waiting to hear from SUSI.

Do I send them out forms now or wait fos them to post something to me? Thanks for quick reply

Do I send them out forms now or wait fos them to post something to me? Thanks for quick reply

You have to wait until they send you out a checklist which tells you what documents they want from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Does anyone know how much the full grant is? i.e for someone whose parent(s) are on the Lone Parents scheme and dole/social welfare. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Does anyone know how much the full grant is? i.e for someone whose parent(s) are on the Lone Parents scheme and dole/social welfare. Thanks. :)

Plus one to that, although my "parent" (Sole parent, Father not on the scene) works a small number of hours a week, and gets one parent allowance aswell.

Income would be very low, would like to know what the level is.

I have sent all of the details off, that SUSI asked for, still waiting for a response couple weeks later...

Has anyone actually been awarded a grant yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Plus one to that, although my "parent" (Sole parent, Father not on the scene) works a small number of hours a week, and gets one parent allowance aswell.

Income would be very low, would like to know what the level is.

I put the info below together for the Mature Students forum but the limits and rates are the same for all students:
    Grants for Education 2012

Reckonable Income limits for the Maintenance & Fee Grants 2012.

Family income limits
    The means test for a maintenance or fee grant in 2012/2013 is based on your family's income for the previous full tax year (2011). The income limits for a maintenance grant are set out below.

Number of Dependent Children Full Maintenance Part Maintenance (75%) Part Maintenance (50%) Part Maintenance (25%) Exempt from student contribution *Exempt from 50% student contribution
    Less than 4 €41,110 €42,235 €44,720 €47,205 €51,380 €55,920
    4 to 7 €45,165 €46,415 €49,145 €51,880 €56,460 €61,440
    8 or more €49,045 €50,400 €53,360 €56,320 €61,295 €66,700
    * Full student contribution is paid where income is at or below this level.

Other family members in college: The income limits are increased if more than one family member is in college. See www.studentfinance.ie for more details.

Ordinary Rates of Grant
    Rates of Grant Non-Adjacent Rate Adjacent Rate
    Full Maintenance €3,025 €1,215
    Part Maintenance (75%) €2,270 €940
    Part Maintenance (50%) €1,515 €605
    Part Maintenance (25%) €755 €315

The non adjacent rate is only paid to students whose chosen course is more than 45km from their normal residence. This applies to all students including mature students.

Special Rate of Maintenance Grant
    Disadvantaged students who meet a number of conditions can qualify for special rates of the maintenance grant.
    Special Rate of Grant Total Grant
    Non-Adjacent €5,915
    Adjacent €2,377

In order to be eligible for these ‘top-up’ rates, your reckonable income must be at or below a certain limit, (in 2011 the limit was €22,703), and must also include at least one of a range of social welfare payments including Jobseekers Allowance, Jobseekers Benefit and One-Parent Family Payment. Disability payments may also be included.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    I put the info below together for the Mature Students forum but the limits and rates are the same for all students:

Thanks alot for that, very useful indeed.

It explains alot RE: Payable rates etc. I suppose i gotta wait until i hear back from SUSI.

My sister is also applying for a grant, will that affect us in a negative way, would you know?

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thanks alot for that, very useful indeed.

It explains alot RE: Payable rates etc. I suppose i gotta wait until i hear back from SUSI.

You're welcome
    :)
    My sister is also applying for a grant, will that affect us in a negative way, would you know?

R

No the fact that your sister may also be attending a higher or further education course could actually help your application as the reckonable income limits increase by €4,980 if there are more than one of you attending a recognised course. Details: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

paperclip2 wrote: »
    You're welcome
    :)

No the fact that your sister may also be attending a higher or further education course could actually help your application as the reckonable income limits increase by €4,980 if there are more than one of you attending a recognised course. Details: http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/1341494564/Schedule_1_reckonable_income_limit_2012.pdf

Brilliant! - Thinking positive for the first time about it now haha.. was full sure that it would affect us both in a negative way.

Cheers again!!

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Thanks for the info paperclip :) For the higher rate of the grant, i.e for students from a disadvantaged background, is there a different application route that should be taken or will SUSI decide just through the stuff I send them? Cheers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭TimeClock18

Thanks for the info paperclip :) For the higher rate of the grant, i.e for students from a disadvantaged background, is there a different application route that should be taken or will SUSI decide just through the stuff I send them? Cheers :D

You'll just be automatically awarded the Special Rate if you are eligible.

Has anyone heard a final 'yes or no' answer back from SUSI yet? I sent my final documents back around 12 days ago (just a birth cert, J.C. Results and proof of income) and haven't heard anything? :confused:

I'm getting really anxious as I can't afford to pay the Student Contribution charge of 2,250 to get into college, I honestly can't after paying for accommodation.

I emailed SUSI and they never replied..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,237 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm getting really anxious as I can't afford to pay the Student Contribution charge of 2,250 to get into college, I honestly can't after paying for accommodation.
    I'd say they're swamped with forms from everyone now.

As regards the Student Contribution, tell the college you are waiting on your grant.

It's a bit daft, you'd think they'd know someone relying on a grant would not have two grand lying around.

spurious wrote: »
    I'd say they're swamped with forms from everyone now.

As regards the Student Contribution, tell the college you are waiting on your grant.

It's a bit daft, you'd think they'd know someone relying on a grant would not have two grand lying around.

My cousin got a letter from Sligo IT saying they needed the Student contribution charged paid before he started or they wouldn't be able to let him start. I really hope NUI Maynooth are a bit more understanding! And yes, I know, it's really stupid, I actually will have no chance of getting 2 grand and to pay for accommodation, it won't happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

My cousin got a letter from Sligo IT saying they needed the Student contribution charged paid before he started or they wouldn't be able to let him start. I really hope NUI Maynooth are a bit more understanding! And yes, I know, it's really stupid, I actually will have no chance of getting 2 grand and to pay for accommodation, it won't happen!

NUI Maynooth let you off with it until you get your grant letter, I know that for a fact! You'll be provisionally registered is all!

As for wondering why you didn't hear back after 12 days? I sent my documents on July 6th and am still waiting.. :(

Advertisement