Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FFIII - NES

Options
  • 27-05-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

Ive steadily been making my way down the original releases of the FF games. I finished FFIV using the J2e translation and highly recommend anyone who hasnt to play this game RIGHT NOW!!!

Im looking at playing the nes release of FFIII. Ideally id love to buy this game but only a remake with 3d graphics is available. Is there any recommended fan-translations of the original release? I dont wanna get into the game and find out its full of spelling mistakes, sentences that dont make sense and even worse bad translation with loads of unneeded cursing and lines like 'hey dude' coming from a likes of a dark knight.

I know this game isnt going to be to the level of FFIV and everything onwards but still think it'll be a game worth experiencing.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF3 is not a great game. It was made to try and catch up with Dragon Quest so tried to copy the DQ job system at the time with an inferior one. Thankfully come FFV they turned it into something spectacular.

The DS remake is pretty much the same as the NES game except in 3D, nothing has really been added. The only thing is there are load times for the battle that make the game much slower paced so I'd go for the NES version. One thing to remember is that once you get the Dragoon job make at least two characters Dragoons or you can get into a game breaking situation and have to start again. The job system in the game is very weak. Old jobs are completely obsolete and are replaced by the newer and better jobs.

The NES fan translation is excellent so go with that if you really must play it. The storyline is crap so not like it needs to be so good anyway.

My advice, play some better games like Earthbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Since starting to play these older FF games ive gained an appreciation for these 2d pixel told stories. I have chrono trigger, illusion of gaia, secret of mana, terranigma and earthbound on my list. Secret of mana is a sequel to a final fantasy gameboy game right?...and illusion of gaia is the third installment right?

I might leave FFIII for a little later but i take it there is only the one fan-translation of this game available? Just so i know i got the right one ^_^

The most annoying thing about these roms is that there are so many its hard to tell which ones to play. Most of the roms i have in each folder have tons of versions. When i have more monies im going to have to hunt down a nes and snes console and get a few of these on cartridge...if theyre not too expensive on ebay!!!
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    One thing to remember is that once you get the Dragoon job make at least two characters Dragoons or you can get into a game breaking situation and have to start again.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The SNES era had great storylines, none of the existential evangelion BS that blighted some PS1 games. The 8-bit games were much simpler with only Mother and Dragon Quest 4 standing out.

Illusion of Gaia is the second game in a loosely based trilogy of games by quintet that include Soul Blazer and Terranigma and sure you can add Actraiser to that list.

Secret of Mana is the second game in the seiken densetsu series that final fantasy adventure is the first game in. Again it's a loosely based series like Final Fantasy so you are not missing anything by not playing the first. There's a fan translation of Seiken Densetsu 3 and it's a game definitely worth checking out.

If you are worried about what fan translation to choose then look at rommhacking.net to get the right one. Pretty sure there's only the one by Dejap I think and that team has always been quality.

Advertisement