Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to maintain your fake tan?

• 27-05-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies,

So by now i'm a pro at applying the fake tan but the problem arises maybe a week or so later when it starts getting patchy and dirty looking.

My current routine is - every morning after a shower I mix some of the fake tan with a lot of moisturizer and reapply every where so it's not like I'm just letting it fade.

What's the best way of ensuring I always have a bit of colour? Should I not be mixing the fake tan and moisturizer and just re-apply just the fake tan fully every 3 or so days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Kimia wrote: »
    Hi ladies,

So by now i'm a pro at applying the fake tan but the problem arises maybe a week or so later when it starts getting patchy and dirty looking.

My current routine is - every morning after a shower I mix some of the fake tan with a lot of moisturizer and reapply every where so it's not like I'm just letting it fade.

What's the best way of ensuring I always have a bit of colour? Should I not be mixing the fake tan and moisturizer and just re-apply just the fake tan fully every 3 or so days?

What tan are you using? I use rockstar but only apply once a week (twice if I am going somewhere special). I shower and Moisturise everyday and it never looks patchy. I have a rockstar Moisturiser that has some tan in it but never use it as I don't
    Like wearing unwashed tan with my clothes! I was always told to apply tan to unmoisturised skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Do yourself a favor and ditch the fake tan.

In 10 or 15 years time people will look back at pics of this fake tan phase and they will wonder WTF were people thinking back then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I'm using Clarins Delicious which is lovely. I'm moisturizing every day and I use an exfoliating loofah every day too.

Then when i'm out on the shower I get a bit of the fake tan and a dollop of moisturizer, I mix them together and then apply. It works for a while but then the patchiness comes back and it looks terrible.

I'm thinking, would I be better off just applying the fake tan, moisturizing then for the next couple of days and then just re-applying the fake tan again about 3 days later?

Perhaps something is happening to the fake tan when I mix it with the moisturizer and its not working as well as it should.

Also Fuzzy - if you've nothing constructive to add, don't post!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and ditch the fake tan.

In 10 or 15 years time people will look back at pics of this fake tan phase and they will wonder WTF were people thinking back then...

Helpful posting only, the OP did not ask your opinion on tan.

Kimia - please report posts, don't address them in thread, aka backseat modding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Any tan I've tried, if I use it more than once a week, there's always a bit of patchiness. I usually use St. Tropez once a week, after a good scrub with those glove mitts. I give my lower legs another go during the week as I find the tan doesn't take as much there, and comes off more too. I just use the St. Tropez moisturiser to dilute it down a bit where needed.

I don't think a lot of moisturisers are suitable for mixing with fake tan. I tried a Johnson's one before as a cheaper alternative, and the tan just didn't take. I did buy the Clarins tan before, and it was nice, but ran out really quickly and I found it a lot more patchy around ankles, heels etc, even after running over those areas with a damp cloth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Kimia wrote: »
    I'm using Clarins Delicious which is lovely. I'm moisturizing every day and I use an exfoliating loofah every day too.

Then when i'm out on the shower I get a bit of the fake tan and a dollop of moisturizer, I mix them together and then apply. It works for a while but then the patchiness comes back and it looks terrible.

I'm thinking, would I be better off just applying the fake tan, moisturizing then for the next couple of days and then just re-applying the fake tan again about 3 days later?

Perhaps something is happening to the fake tan when I mix it with the moisturizer and its not working as well as it should.

Also Fuzzy - if you've nothing constructive to add, don't post!

I have never used the Clarins tan. Do you want a dark shade of tan or natural? I think you are better off reapplying the tan fully but I think that to do this every three days is high maintenance! Maybe you need a different shade/brand of tan? Finding the perfect tan is tricky but tan that will fade too quickly or patchy is not good value for
    Money! I shower everyday but only use shower gel with a sponge but don't scrub my skin I only lightly rub! I also use baby oil in shower and I think that it helps to maintain my tan. Then I moisture. I only scrub my skin before applying the tan (only once a week and sometimes use an exfoiliating scrub)!

It really is high maintenance to re-apply fully every 3 days but i don't know what the alternative is! I will stop mixing the moisturizer and the fake tan as it's clear it's not working and see what it's like when I re-apply fully every week or so.

It's so hard! Surely someone has the answer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

try applying moisturiser step 1

step 2 loofah to even out the uneven colour of tan

step 3 garnier fake tan spray just to top up over it

christmas - do you mean, apply the fake tan first, then over the next few days apply the moisturizer over it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Hi OP,

I would definitely say mixing it with moisturiser and re-applying like that is whats making it go patchy. There are tan extenders available which is just like a daily moisturiser with some low levels of DHA in it.

The DHA in tans is what reacts with your skin and makes it colour, as you shed skin cells daily, re-applying every few days will make it look patchy.

I think you would be far better off applying tan weekly and just maintaining it by moisturising etc. I would also definitely cut out the baby oil and look for a body lotion that is oil free as oil strips tan so that could be another factor as to the patchiness.
    A good scrub weekly, apply tan and then keep moisturising daily. You should be getting a week out of a tan definitely. If you want to keep that same freshly applied tan colour and its not working with your current brand then you will have to completely remove and re-apply every 3/4 days.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

HI

If I am going out u cant beat st tropez or tantastic. However for a more sutle daytime color I use the dove body lotion with tanning product added the best. I found theJohnsons one looked very patchy and "dirty" after a few days but the dove one stayed better. I then fully remove with exfoliating gloves and reapply after about 5 days. After showering I moisture with garnire 7 day moisture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I do my tan every week and have done for 10 years. I use Lancome Flash Bronzer. I find I need that length of time to be able to get it off, if I do it every few days, it starts getting patchy quickly.

I don't tend to bother much with moisturising. I do scrub off the old before I apply the new. I put Sally Airbrush legs on me to keep the tan topped up.

I did see this product which promises a 2 - 3 week tan. I might purchase it soon. http://www.vitaliberata.co.uk/store/?q=0&cid=7

Advertisement