Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rally Car Crashes into Spectators in Cavan- Two Dead Seven Injured

• 27-05-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0527/two-spectators-killed-at-cavan-stages-car-rally.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0527/breaking10.html
    A garda investigation is under way after the incident, which happened 2km outside Bailieborough at around 11:30am this morning.

Witnesses have said the car appeared to go out of control before hitting a group of people standing beside a road side fence.

The HSE said seven people were being treated for their injuries at Cavan General Hospital.

It did not disclose the severity of their injuries.

The rally has been cancelled and garda experts are examining the scene of the accident.

One witness Matthew McMahon said that "the car went over the crest, spun off the road through a fence and I heard the skid of the car."

He continued, "people were screaming and shouting red flag, red flag, stop the stage! There were people crying."
    Two people were killed and seven injured in an accident at a motor rally in Co Cavan today.

The incident happened after one of the vehicles lost control and crashed into a fence outside a house near Bailieborough, where spectators were standing.

Gardaí confirmed there were two fatalities following the crash which occurred at about 11.30 am.

Local sources say one of the victims was a female spectator in her 20s and the other was a male photographer, though this information has yet to be confirmed by authorities.

The Health Service Executive said seven others were taken to Cavan General Hospital for treatment, but declined to provide details of their injuries.

Emergency services were at the scene of the incident shorty afterwards and the rally was suspended.

One eyewitness, Mathew McMahon, saw the accident occur and described the scene in the aftermath.

“The car went over a crest [in the road] and I don't know if something broke or if he lost control, but he spun off the road into a fence and, I assume, into spectators,” Mr McMahon told RTÉ Radio.

“Then I heard people screaming, ‘red flag, red flag, stop the stage’. Then all hell broke loose, basically. There were people crying, people white as ghosts. It was clear something serious had happened. Then someone announced that someone had been killed.”

Another onlooker, who declined to be named, described the chaos following the accident.

"It was harrowing: bodies strewn all over the place. A lot of carnage. From what I could see there were two fatalities. Maybe eight injured, one seriously. There were seven or eight ambulances on the scene shortly afterwards," he told The Irish Times.

"From what I saw, the car came over the crest, lost complete control when it landed and just careered into the crowd."

The accident occurred during Cavan Stages Rally which was making its first appearance in Cavan. Around 130 racing crews were taking part in the event.

A Garda spokesman said that roads in the area remain closed and the scene of the accident is being examined by a forensic collision investigator.

The event was staged by Cavan Motor Club, which expressed deep regret at the incident.

“At this time all our energy is focused on the families of those involved in this tragic accident,” it said in a statement.

“The relevant authorities were immediately advised of the incident and the rally rescue services attended the scene. An investigation has begun into all facts surrounding the accident.”

R.I.P

Guess that's the end of fellas hanging off ditches with their iphones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

God, dam.. so easily happens at these events. It's actually a little surprising it doesn't happen more often..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RIP and condolences to those families of loved ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

That's why I detest those rallies.

RIP to those who lost their lives. A senseless waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

RIP
    Guess that's the end of fellas hanging off ditches with their iphones.

My wife read somewhere the man was a photographer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

RIP.

This was a terrible freak accident, although I think its a bit early to be making generalisations about those who attend the events, or discussing the merits of the sport.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

irish-stew wrote: »
    RIP.

its a bit early to be making generalisations about those who attend the events, or discussing the merits of the sport.

Quoted for emphasis. I can expect people saying rallying should be banned. etc.

It's basically the case with every rally. Spectators aren't exactly 100% safe standing on a ditch next to the road and coloured tape isn't going to stop a car from hitting something or someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Rallying can be great craic, with today's weather it's perfect for spectators to enjoy it & relax.
    However people get way too close to the action, hanging off ditches, sitting on piers etc.
    Without trying to sound dramatic a car is a very dangerous weapon, I'm just surprised it hasn't happened more often.

Rip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Heard this on the news earlier.

RIP to those involved.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

RIP to the victims.
    Lets not start calling to ban rallies, it's a great sport and enjoyable for the spectators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

RIP to the victims and best wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured.
    Freak accident, lets hope for no kneejerk reactions looking to ban a very popular sport.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I really don't understand why spectators are allowed just stand at the side of the road at these events, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

I really don't understand why spectators are allowed just stand at the side of the road at these events, it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
    I agree, but where else do they stand?
    Standing on a grass verge or on a wall gives you the best vantage point to see the action.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Lol! Those rallies. As in there are certain types of rallies that are ok but you detest the one held in Cavan today.

Its a tragedy that people died following something they liked/loved. RIP to the two dead and I hope their families and other hurt involved get the support they need.

How and ever motorsport is inherently dangerous and these people knew they were taking risks standing where they did. Sad and all as it is this shouldn't be a template for the banning of motorsport. If its banned then surely everything, with any risk of injury whatsoever no matter how minute the risk is, should also be banned with it.

How do you mean a senseless waste ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

hondasam wrote: »
    If it's not a senseless waste, does that make it a sensible waste? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Horrible news.
    but I hate rallys - I get forced out of my house for an entire sunday because they close the road where I live (and I'm not going to be stuck in waiting for a car to come thru my wall). Have to keep my pets indoors for the day before and after as well. I live on a dangerous narrow country road, where people drive too fast every day and because of them you risk your life walking or cycling. What message does a rally send, driving dangerously fast on unsuitable roads is a sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

When rallies were on TV alot when I was younger, it always struck me how insane it was to have crowds of people gathered around the corners these cars are sliding around. Dunno what their safety stats are, but I gather they're pretty good or there would be more fuss made.

It's pretty silly to call for the sport to be banned, but surely the organisers should be held responsible if it's the case that spectators were allowed to gather in dangerous spots. I dunno the facts of it though, so won't jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

RIP.

This was a terrible freak accident, although I think its a bit early to be making generalisations about those who attend the events, or discussing the merits of the sport.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    RIP to the victims and best wishes for a speedy recovery to the injured.
    Freak accident, lets hope for no kneejerk reactions looking to ban a very popular sport.

Ye two must have a very strange definition of the term 'freak accident'. Standing on the side of a narrow winding road while cars drive along it as fast as humanly possibly is a recipe for disaster.
    On the contrary, this accident was all too predictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭kirving

You can only hold the organisers responsible to a certain extent. That is, if they realised people were in a dangerous place, and allowed the event to continue.

No matter where you go, there will always be people putting themselves in dangersous situations without realising it, and there is very little you can do about it.

Ye two must have a very strange definition of the term 'freak accident'. Standing on the side of a narrow winding road while cars drive along it as fast as humanly possibly is a recipe for disaster.
    On the contrary, this accident was all too predictable.

Freak accident, in the sense I haven't heard it happening too often.

• Advertisement

I've been to many rallys. The organisers do laps and usually warn and move people on from unsafe areas, but as soon as the race begins these people return. Happens every time

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

planetX wrote: »
    Horrible news.
    but I hate rallys - I get forced out of my house for an entire sunday because they close the road where I live (and I'm not going to be stuck in waiting for a car to come thru my wall). Have to keep my pets indoors for the day before and after as well. I live on a dangerous narrow country road, where people drive too fast every day and because of them you risk your life walking or cycling. What message does a rally send, driving dangerously fast on unsuitable roads is a sport?

Is this every sunday or one sunday of the year?

:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Yes i agree, what with all the health and safety of today, im very surpised there isnt more done.
    Ive often watched rallies but keep a distance, ive seen people with kids running back the road for a better view between cars:eek:

Horrible news.
    Actually most rally drivers I know are excellent drivers& don't speed on roads in their everyday cars. I don't know where to find a link but apparently rally drivers are less likely to take chances & speed on roads compared to other drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

Ar dheis De go raibh siad.

Please do not make generalisations or speculations regarding the incident and motorsport in general if you have no knowledge regarding it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I wasn't at the rally today, but I've been to several in the past, and they've always been very well marshalled.

However there is an incredible amount of work involved on the day, and they can't have marshals at every step along the stage. And, even if they could, it probably wouldn't prevent the possibility of spectator injuries, unless they were to cordon off a couple of hundred yards each side of the road all the way round the track!!

I'm not going to speculate on how today's accident happened. But there's no mention in the articles of any corners etc - if it was a relatively smooth straight part of the road, chances are there wouldn't have been much of the area to the sides cordoned off. So it's up to the spectators themselves to decide where to watch from. Personally at rallies I've attended, I've often stood in behind the ditch at the side of a straight stretch of road, and felt safe enough there. Of course, I was always aware of the possibility of a freak accident happening (such as today's.) But, if you're going to have that attitude, you're in as much (more?) danger of being hit by a car while walking along the footpath beside a busy road at any time of the day or night!

There are high standards of regulation at these rallies, and they are thoroughly enforced. Spectators attending the rallies are aware of the risks involved.

Those killed and injured today were very unlucky, it sounds like it was a freak accident and they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Yeah, it mightn't have happened to them if they hadn't decided to spend a nice sunny Sunday afternoon out at a rally - but sure how many accidents would have been avoided if people stayed safely sitting at home all the time?

Condolences to the families and friends of those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hge19

It's not that simple. Motorsport Ireland do a great job on crowd control and these events are very well organised and regulated. If MI assumes an area to be safe they do so in the best interest of the competitors and spectators. This was just a tragic and unfortunate occurance. It's not organised by a group of boy racers, these people have brains.... Sympathies to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

RIP There's not much you can really say about the tragedy apart from that.

Hopefully there wont be calls for the sport to be banned. I think this is the first time this has ever happened in this country, but there is a need for better crowd management at these events, but how do you go about telling someone they can't stand on public/their own property?
    It is dangerous, no one can deny that but usually the marshalls and organisers are more than keen to make people aware of the dangers involved.

Of course these people could have been standing in a relatively safe spot, according to the eyewitness the car had landed but lost control after that so we don't know how far the people were from the jump.
    Unfortunately the sport doesn't have the best image already, every rally attracts the usual muppets and boy racers but it certainly doesn't encourage people to drive dangerously, as someone above suggested. Its a closed road with no traffic its not like there's going to be a tractor around the corner is it.
    If you want to ban something for spectator danger ban fecking airshows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Horrible news.

You're not forced to do anything. You can stay in if you want. And no car is going to come through your wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

What message does a rally send, driving dangerously fast on unsuitable roads is a sport?

Please define what a 'suitable' road is. That's the point of rallying, trying to get the fastest time on a difficult stretch of terrain. Wouldn't be very exciting if they just drove on a flat straight for a few miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Some ridiculous comments been made on this thread. Lets not forgot that people lost their lives today in an accident and others we presume are fighting for their lives or may have to cope with life changing injuries.

Some ridiculous comments been made on this thread. Lets not forgot that people lost their lives today in an accident and others we presume are fighting for their lives or may have to cope with life changing injuries.

yes but you have to remember these people were there as spectators to watch a sport they liked.
    It's up to everyone to watch from a safe distance, I have been to lots of rallies myself and I know what it's like, everyone wants the best view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not too mention the impact this will have on the driver and his navigator.

There will always be a risk level and the safety standards are higher than they used to be - anyone remember Group B in the 80s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I am not into rallying but I was channel surfing about a fortnight ago and watched it for 20 mins or so and one thing that I really noticed as I watched was how dangerous some of the spots the spectators were standing were... like on the outside of bends and stuff like that. I actually remember thinking at the time that it's amazing it doesn't happen regularly.

Unfortunate accident though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

They really need to get on top of the spectator situation to be honest. How they do it I neither know nor care, but these won't be the last fatalities unless things get a bit tighter. You've a ton of metal doing 90 on sharp corners only meters from crowds, I'm surprised its lasted this long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Race stewards are always telling people to move away from the spots that are deemed to be more dangerous. A lot of corners are cordoned off these days so people simply can't stand at them. It just wouldn't be feasible to man the entire route with officials or to keep it completely clear of spectators.. that may be possible in much larger events but not small amateur rally stages like this.

This happened on a relatively straight stretch of road iinm. It was a tragic accident and couldn't have been foreseen.

As for the people that stand on extremely tight and dangerous corners regardless of being aware of the risks and warned not to.. well, they're idiots.

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    They really need to get on top of the spectator situation to be honest. How they do it I neither know nor care, but these won't be the last fatalities unless things get a bit tighter. You've a ton of metal doing 90 on sharp corners only meters from crowds, I'm surprised its lasted this long.

Apologies in advance, but based on that comment I'm assuming you dont really follow rallying. TBH I'm not really a huge fan my self but I do know there is many all over the Island throughout the year, four of which I can name in this region alone, this weekends Cavan Stages, the Donegal Rally, The Forestery Rally (something like that) also in Donegal, The lakes (Caven, Leitrim, and I think Fermanagh).

I'm also guessing if it wasn't for todays unfortunate news, how many people who have called to changes to the sport on this thread would have even known it was taking place this weekend?

Yes they weren't the first, and unfortunatly they probably wont be the last, its a very small unfortunate satistic, but then so is footballers dying on the pitch, if the same attitude was taken to that and other sports we would be calling for changes and bannings to many sports.

These things a reviewed all the time, and this will also most definalty prompt another review, but lets not write the sport off all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'm also guessing if it wasn't for todays unfortunate news, how many people who have called to changes to the sport on this thread would have even known it was taking place this weekend?
    We've plenty of experience with rallies where I come from, never fear.
    Yes they weren't the first, and they wont be the last, its a very small unfortunate satistic, but then so is footballers dying on the pitch, if the same attitude was taken to that and other sports we would be calling for changes and bannings to many sports.
    All I'm saying is, when people start dying, things start changing. Its up to the sport to survive with those changes or not. Its not even an argument, this is almost certainly how its going to go. Rallying is a cool sport, I for one stand beside any who want to see machines go faster, but the spectator safety issue needs to be definitively handled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ares wrote: »
    Lol! Those rallies. As in there are certain types of rallies that are ok but you detest the one held in Cavan today.

Its a tragedy that people died following something they liked/loved. RIP to the two dead and I hope their families and other hurt involved get the support they need.

How and ever motorsport is inherently dangerous and these people knew they were taking risks standing where they did. Sad and all as it is this shouldn't be a template for the banning of motorsport. If its banned then surely everything, with any risk of injury whatsoever no matter how minute the risk is, should also be banned with it.

'Those rallies', as in rallies in general. I think you knew exactly what I meant.

I detest rallies and always have done. Individual people and groups have fought to get speed limits reduced. There are constant advertisements encouraging people to slow down. And then we have this legalized race, which fine has professional drivers taking part, but it is encouraging 'boy racers' thinking they are the next best thing. And people standing inches away from cars speeding.

There is no sense to it. It is not a sport. And I would 100% back a campaign to ban it. I have always held that opinion, long before the events of today.

A senseless waste of life of course. Do you think it wasn't a waste?

I detest rallies and always have done. Individual people and groups have fought to get speed limits reduced. There are constant advertisements encouraging people to slow down. And then we have this legalized race, which fine has professional drivers taking part, but it is encouraging 'boy racers' thinking they are the next best thing. And people standing inches away from cars speeding.

Certain drivers are always going to drive irresponsibly, in every country, whether rally driving is a pastime or not.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you have never seen a rally car speeding or driving in any way that could be considered dangerous outside of a rally stage, as they would be very heavily penalised for this (and why on earth would they risk the damage to their car, anyways.)

Is it not a good thing to be teaching people to keep speeding, etc, where it's appropriate and regulated? At any rally I've attended, there's been a massive emphasis on safety, and sure there are tonnes of Gardaí in the area at any rally, regularly breathalising and checking for insurance/tax/NCT etc. It's not a hang-out for "boy-racers", it's for motor enthusiasts, who care about their cars, and who aren't going to go risking their cars and their licences through "messing"!

• Advertisement

And for those suggesting that you can rock up to a rally and stand on the outside of a corner or at any old spot you want to - just try it, someday! At any rally I've attended, it's very well regulated, the most dangerous spots are cordoned off. And there are plenty of marshalls (or the race cannot go ahead.) While the marshalls (who work in a voluntary capacity) can warn you away from certain spots, they can't force you to move - and they will call off the stage, rather than leaving you standing in a very dangerous zone.

However they can't have marshalls at every bit of the stage. For very obvious reasons. So, naturally, the discretion of the spectators is required.

I've been talking to people who were at the rally today, and from what I've heard, it was a completely freak accident at a relatively "safe" part of the stage. It's just very sad. But there are risks involved in every sport, and rally participants and spectators accept those risks - there's only so much you can do to mitigate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

yes but you have to remember these people were there as spectators to watch a sport they liked.
    It's up to everyone to watch from a safe distance, I have been to lots of rallies myself and I know what it's like, everyone wants the best view.

There was a reason I said some of the statements where ridiculous as two of the injured just so happen to be my cousins. (They try to stay safe as best they can and have been following rallies for years up and down the country) Hoping they pull through and my thoughts are with the famiies of those that have passed away :(

'Those rallies', as in rallies in general. I think you knew exactly what I meant.

There is no sense to it. It is not a sport. And I would 100% back a campaign to ban it. I have always held that opinion, long before the events of today.

FFS. What a backward statement. Should we ban all motorsport? Formula 1 encourages the same, should we ban that?

There was a reason I said some of the statements where ridiculous as two of the injured just so happen to be my cousins. (They don't try to stay safe as best they can and have been following rallies for years up and down the country) Hoping they pull through and my thoughts are with the famiies of those that have passed away :(

I'm sorry about your cousins and I hope they get better soon.
    I really don't understand your comment tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

RIP.

Regardless of calls for bans and thinking of the childer, you can't call it a freak accident,a car travelling very fast indeed on a country road goes flying out of control? Hardly unforseeable is it?

Bambi wrote: »
    Regardless of calls for bans and thinking of the childer, you can't call it a freak accident,a car travelling very fast indeed on a country road goes flying out of control? Hardly unforseeable is it?

How often does it happen ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Indeed. How often are people killed falling off horses? BAN EVERYTHING!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It happened today. I know im pointing the obvious but there has to be a way to get tracks built with proper safety. I know its probably not the best solution but if these idiots want to pump money to watch things go fast, pay for and build a track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

If it was on a track it woudn't be a rally.

It happened today. I know im pointing the obvious but there has to be a way to get tracks built with proper safety. I know its probably not the best solution but if these idiots want to pump money to watch things go fast, pay for and build a track.

A track would not be the same thing at all.
    You calling the drivers or spectators idiots?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement