Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rally Car Crashes into Spectators in Cavan- Two Dead Seven Injured

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Neady_b wrote: »
    You sir are talking crap. I seen the video too. there were people standing on top of the crest not after it, there were people standing in a layby not on the road. There was no cheering and waving at the driver, there was cries as then seen he was going to crash. He didn't come over the crest "turned sideways in the air" the car snapped upon landing and it wasn't collosal speed either, you've never been to a rally if you think it is .

The place where the accident happened the people were inside a fence in a garden some 30 meteres from the crest. Not on the road.

You need to get a life and stop getting off on this if you ask me!

Here is a screengrab of the page, in the top right is a thumbnail of the video. I have blown up the image. Judge for yourself. There were more people further down than what you see there. Notice the flimsy tape and the abscene of a hedge at that point, whatever protection a hedge would offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Here is a screengrab of the page, in the top right is a thumbnail of the video. I have blown up the image. Judge for yourself. There were more people further down than what you see there. Notice the flimsy tape and the abscene of a hedge at that point, whatever protection a hedge would offer.

You're having a very enjoyable time are'nt you.
    Sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No need to speculate in my situation De Hipster, there was zero warning or advice in my case, and the rally passed right outside the gates, in a similar bumpy straight line sort of set up.
    I am part of a photo club and could have had 20 photographers standing there no marshall would have been the wiser.

I mentioned earlier too I could have had a bouncy castle outside in my front garden with a few kiddies on it, and no one would have been the wiser.
    Scrap the bouncy castle since some sarcastic smarty pants might argue they are dangerous, which incidentally I agree to, and would not hire accordingly.

I could have had my kids playing with their cousins in the front garden, for all the advice and warning I was given (that is, none).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

De Hipster wrote: »
    Due to not one but two separate investigation which are currently underway, I am not in a position to confirm nor deny what people were or were not told...this is for the invstigations only...but it will be discussed, verified and included in any findings.

Until there is an official conclusion I suggest that speculation is ended.

What speculation are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Neady_b

So tell me why did you ignore my whole post :confused: At no point did I mention a hedge but since you've kindly put up a screenshot;
    Yes, after the crest, the driver wouldn't even have seen them until he came over the crest in the air,
    There were no spectators on the road fullstop. can you go grab a screenshot of where they are standing on the road and not a screenshot of them in a layby behind tape in a safe place would you beleive, and then claim oh but further down the road they were on the road, which is a lie!
    they where right on the roadside, some of them leaning out over flimsy safety tapes,
    They were in a layby / gate and in a relativly safe place at the end of a straight stretch of road [as one poster here who is loacal said it was.
    waving and cheering at the driver.
    Again another lie as your own screenshot exposed not one person waving!
    The car turned sideways in the air, landed and then travelled sideways at collosal speed down the road to the fatal impact.

again foiled by your own screenshot the car look pretty straight to me.

red sean wrote: »
    You're having a very enjoyable time are'nt you.
    Sad.

Actually, I'm not. I'm sick in the stomach after seeing that vid. It was the same feeling I was getting when I attended rallies, caused by the neglience I have spoken about throughout this thread.

No offence intended neady but you are wrong on several points.
    If it were a safe location then what happened?
    Nobody said they were on the road.
    The car did move sideways in the air, obviously not 90 degrees but there was movement.

So tell me why did you ignore my whole post :confused: At no point did I mention a hedge but since you've kindly put up a screenshot;

There were no spectators on the road fullstop. can you go grab a screenshot of where they are standing on the road and not a screenshot of them in a layby behind tape in a safe place would you beleive, and then claim oh but further down the road they were on the road, which is a lie!

They were in a layby / gate and in a relativly safe place at the end of a straight stretch of road [as one poster here who is loacal said it was.

Again another lie as your own screenshot exposed not one person waving!

again foiled by your own screenshot the car look pretty straight to me.

I repeat....I never said they were on the road. 'Practically' when used in a sentence has a meaning. :rolleyes:

I was neither referring to those who lost their lives, my post points out that I am talking about the people after the crest, being in danger AS WELL.

And apologies, it wasn't you who mentioned a hedge.

ch750536 wrote: »
    The car did move sideways in the air, obviously not 90 degrees but there was movement.

Thank you. It certainly looked to me that the car turned in the air but I wouldn't have sworn to it.

ch750536 wrote: »

Don't worry I do not offend easily. ha ha.

My respone is to a person called angerman happyman. Whom posted a whole load of lies about the removed video, the main lie which he will pulled up on about people standing on the road he then edited his post to take that part out when people were giving out to him about it. Post 242 shows his origional post before he removed it.

I've just proved by way of his own screenshot. ha ha. that he was wrong.

• Advertisement

I repeat....I never said they were on the road. 'Practically' when used in a sentence has a meaning. :rolleyes:

I was neither referring to those who lost their lives, my post points out that I am talking about the people after the crest, being in danger AS WELL.

And apologies, it wasn't you who mentioned a hedge.

Apology accepted, you did say there were people on the road post 242 shows that and yet you still deny it. You removed that from your post when people started berating you for it.

planetX wrote: »
    They don't advertise the location in the press because people have to buy the program to find out - that's about money.
    I had no visits either, just a letter stating that I would have no access to my road between certain hours (all day). It meant being out all day with my child and dog, better than being in listening to the roaring engines - I think they should have paid for our dinner though...
    My wish to see the end of rallies has nothing to do with safety. It's about closing a public road and ruining a Sunday for people who dislike the sport.
    Think of a sport you hate.... say cricket, and now imagine that you are forced either in or out of your house all day because someone wants to come and play cricket on your road all day. Why should this be allowed?

Same here Planet X, I went away for the day the second time, lucky I have some family not too far to spend the day with, I was pregnant and with a 2 year old.

Tbh I would put up with the inconvenience of being put out of my house for the day the same as I would put up with the inconvenience of a noisy concert if I was close to a festival site once a year. Albeit in a disgruntled mood.
    What I simply cannot accept is the putting at risk of people who have nothing to do in the event, that is, the residents, and the lack of safety for people who might enjoy the event but being local farmers and youngsters, have no notion of the level of risk and no experience of previous rallies.

It is up to the organisers really to ensure that people are informed of the risks, and as far as I have witnessed there has been no safety briefing for the people in my locality residents or not.

I do remember the press advertising a big meeting in a town 20 km away before the event, to see the cars presumably, and for the competitors to subscribe etc...they might have briefed the people present that day.

That is not briefing residents and locals on safety though.

Apology accepted, you did say there were people on the road post 242 shows that and yet you still deny it. You removed that from your post when people started berating you for it.

What?
    Do you not understand 'practically standing on the road'?

We are really plumbing the depths of denial now! :eek:

Don't worry I do not offend easily. ha ha.

My respone is to a person called angerman happyman. Whom posted a whole load of lies about the removed video, the main lie which he will pulled up on about people standing on the road he then edited his post to take that part out when people were giving out to him about it. Post 242 shows his origional post before he removed it.

I've just proved by way of his own screenshot. ha ha. that he was wrong.

Can you show where I edited or removed anything in my post please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents like this in the past.

I know these are highly skilled drivers for the most part, but so are F1 drivers, and you don't see fans standing by the side of an F1 track and not protected by barriers, cheering them on which is what you often see at rallies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

What I simply cannot accept is the putting at risk of people who have nothing to do in the event, that is, the residents, and the lack of safety for people who might enjoy the event but being local farmers and youngsters, have no notion of the level of risk and no experience of previous rallies.

Are you saying farmers are thick.:pac:

Are you saying farmers are thick.

Ahhh... AH.
    The land of "I'll watch your every word and try and find something to get upset about".

No. I am saying farmers are not necessarily the ones to have time to go to rallies, therefore, might not have the "rally experience" some other professionals may have. Or some urban dwellers, who might be more into the car thing.

Watch out for my every word, I'm French and likely to feed you with a good few opportunities to get upset.

Ahhh... AH.
    The land of "I'll watch your every word and try and find something to get upset about".

:D:D They get upset about stuff you didn't say as well Mountainsandh! Ye can't win.:D

I usually just peep, it's just easier than having to pre-empt the nit-picking. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

:D:D They get upset about stuff you didn't say as well Mountainsandh! Ye can't win.:D

WIN!?! It's not a fcukin game - two people are dead and many others injured!

I posted a slightly offensive comment on a thread over the weekend and got infracted for it. How some of your comments have been let go is beyond me. :mad:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    WIN!?! It's not a fcukin game - two people are dead and many others injured!

For goodness sake. It was a lighthearted comment and had nothing to do with the sad and tragic incident yesterday.
    I posted a slightly offensive comment on a thread over the weekend and got infracted for it. How some of your comments have been let go is beyond me. :mad:

What have I said that is 'offensive'?
    I haven't personally insulted anybody or wrongly accused anybody of lying. I have apologised for making a mistake about something I wrongly attributed to a poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

... the bit I have in bold above;

There are a few here including the above poster who were. Although when they were asked to provide some facts and reasoning to their post's they replied with "I'm out".

I don't think any person involved in the sport, be it an organiser, competitor or spectator, will deny that the safety can be improved, even if the unfortunate events in Cavan yesterday hadn't of happened they would still be saying that because nothing can ever be at the stage where it cannot Improve, for anyone who knows anything about rallying or even for those who don't they only need to go back and look at videos or pictures from 30 odd years ago and compare it to today to see the sport has come on in leaps and bounds since then as regards safety. But what is annoying the rallying fans (well myself) about this thread is there is a certain element of bandwagon jumpers who are using yesterday's events to drag the sport through the mud and are providing no reasoning behind it apart from "it's not safe enough". Some of them have been disrespectful into the bargain.

I, like Paddy, will discuss this to death because I don't like to see this happening to a sport that I devote a good portion of my free time to.

BUT this thread will just keep going around in circles with people for and against but I feel Paddy has summed it up perfectly below,

*** unfollow's thread ***

We meet again on this theme, young Homer and no growth in your ideas. Why, many asl, do these rallies have to be on public roads? Why not on a track, where safety can be properly dealt with? Why on lanes and roads where folk live? At some stage, safety and sense need to come before sport. How many more tragedies? For a hobby sport? The cost is far too high on all counts. It really is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Graces7 wrote: »
    We meet again on this theme, young Homer and no growth in your ideas. Why, many asl, do these rallies have to be on public roads? Why not on a track, where safety can be properly dealt with? Why on lanes and roads where folk live? At some stage, safety and sense need to come before sport. How many more tragedies? For a hobby sport? The cost is far too high on all counts. It really is

Why can't people watch soccer from home, no risk of a crushing incident then. Sure why can't people ride fake horses in their living room, because real horses are dangerous. How many more incidents of marathon runners dying of heart attacks will it take to ban running. Do I hear you ask all these questions, no, because you don't have ill informed prejudices against those sports, btw all of which are much more dangerous than rallying.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Mother ****ing sweet jesus christ. Rallies are rallies because, and I repeat, not held on a circuit or track. Would you have mountain biking taking place in a velodrome? Would Formula 1 be held on a back road betwee Youghal and Midleton?

You and the misled numpties who thanked your post clearly have no knowledge of motorsport whatsoever. Talking about staging rallies on tracks. Fúcking hell that's some ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

I dont know if you realise this, but. I think he unfollowed the thread. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Ares wrote: »
    Mother ****ing sweet jesus christ. Rallies are rallies because, and I repeat, not held on a circuit or track. Would you have mountain biking taking place in a velodrome? Would Formula 1 be held on a back road betwee Youghal and Midleton?

You and the misled numpties who thanked your post clearly have no knowledge of motorsport whatsoever. Talking about staging rallies on tracks. Fúcking hell that's some ignorance.

The language and tone are certainly not going to win over followers from the numpties who as you rightly state have no knowledge of motorsport whatsoever.

Now you have a numpty (me) who would be very much inclined to make trouble the next time the rally organisers decide to take over my area and pass in front of my house.

If you are going to put people who have no knowledge of motorsports whatsoever in a situation of danger (and it is, there is absolutely no way you can convince me that people zooming past my house at twice the speed limit is not dangerous), then it might be wise to argue your point in a more civil manner.

Lookit, if your sport is not safe enough, it should simply not take place in a public place, and use public roads. And we numpties are arguing that your sport is not safe enough.

I have suggested earlier that if the marshalling is the problem because tracks are too long to be marshalled sufficiently, then if people rallying really really reaaaally want to continue rallying, they will have to amend the length of said rallies.

If you have 50 marshalls on the day, use them wisely on a shorter track to make it safer. Simple and feasible. You cannot maintain a "making do" approximately safe situation simply because rally organisers want a 100 mile rally.
    Public roads : rally has to be safe.
    The very sad event that started this thread demonstrates how unsafe it currently is, no excuses valid.

And there lies the problem with the sport. I have come across this attitude too often. Lose the attitiude, listen to the people, make changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

The language and tone are certainly not going to win over followers from the numpties who as you rightly state have no knowledge of motorsport whatsoever.

Now you have a numpty (me) who would be very much inclined to make trouble the next time the rally organisers decide to take over my area and pass in front of my house.

If you are going to put people who have no knowledge of motorsports whatsoever in a situation of danger (and it is, there is absolutely no way you can convince me that people zooming past my house at twice the speed limit is not dangerous), then it might be wise to argue your point in a more civil manner.

Lookit, if your sport is not safe enough, it should simply not take place in a public place, and use public roads. And we numpties are arguing that your sport is not safe enough.

I have suggested earlier that if the marshalling is the problem because tracks are too long to be marshalled sufficiently, then if people rallying really really reaaaally want to continue rallying, they will have to amend the length of said rallies.

If you have 50 marshalls on the day, use them wisely on a shorter track to make it safer. Simple and feasible. You cannot maintain a "making do" approximately safe situation simply because rally organisers want a 100 mile rally.
    Public roads : rally has to be safe.
    The very sad event that started this thread demonstrates how unsafe it currently is, no excuses valid.

Perhaps you've missed the point that the families and friends of the victims and wider rallying community are grieving, that two people are dead & have yet to be buried, two investigations are underway, which when complete will make recommendations for improvements to safety 'where or if' gaps exist that could have helped prevent the tragic events unfolding yesterday...perhaps in your world making trouble is vitally more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Mother ****ing sweet jesus christ. Rallies are rallies because, and I repeat, [SIZE="7"]not[/SIZE] held on a circuit or track. Would you have mountain biking taking place in a velodrome? Would Formula 1 be held on a back road betwee Youghal and Midleton?

Oh deary me, insulting people who do not agree with your view point does not make for an intelligent discussion.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar ;)

Peoples safety is what is paramount here. And yesterdays accident shows that safety is lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

Oh deary me, insulting people who do not agree with your view point does not make for an intelligent discussion.

Asking for the ban of an entire global sport is pretty insulting.

• Advertisement

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar ;)

Peoples safety is what is paramount here. And yesterdays accident shows that safety is lacking.

Yesterday's accident requires proper investigation by the proper authorities who with the proper access to the evidence can make an informed decision as to whether safety (or lack there of) was the cause, a contributing factor or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 6 SPEED

Second time I'm asking the Moderators to lock this thread. It's going absolutely nowhere and nothing is or will be achieved.
    There's two families getting ready to bury there loved ones and the amount of bull being wrote is the last thing anyone needs to see, It's gone off topic 10 pages ago aswell.

What's happened to respect this weather ?

DELETE OR CLOSE THIS THREAD NOW

KeithM89 - You should be ashamed of yourself by saying ''Theres no need to remove the link, no ones being forced to watch and theres a clear warning.'' ... You are meant to be a Moderator and you need to use common sense in times like this. Would you like it if your otherhalf/father/son got killed at a rally and the video up here in After Hours on Boards ? Obvious Answer ain't it.

6 SPEED wrote: »
    Second time I'm asking the Moderators to lock this thread. It's going absolutely nowhere and nothing is or will be achieved.
    There's two families getting ready to bury there loved ones and the amount of bull being wrote is the last thing anyone needs to see, It's gone off topic 10 pages ago aswell.

KeithM89 - You should be ashamed of yourself by saying ''Theres no need to remove the link, no ones being forced to watch and theres a clear warning.'' ... You are meant to be a Moderator and you need to use common sense in times like this. Would you like it if your otherhalf/father/son got killed at a rally and the video up here in After Hours on Boards ? Obvious Answer ain't it.

Abusing a mod? And your the very one asking wheres the respect? By golly tis not right!

Also I may add the video was taken down moments later after it was posted.

Abusing a mod? And your the very one asking wheres the respect? By golly tis not right!

Also I may add the video was taken down moments later after it was posted.

So it's alright for him to disrespect people and not alright for me to state a weakness on his part ? I asked once for action to be taken and it wasn't entertained so this is my second attempt.

Mods did well by getting the video down but a comment like ''Theres no need to remove the link, no ones being forced to watch and theres a clear warning.'' is very disrespectful to a lot of people and very immature !

So it's alright for him to disrespect people and not alright for me to state a weakness on his part ? I asked once for action to be taken and it wasn't entertained so this is my second attempt.

Mods did well by getting the video down but a comment like ''Theres no need to remove the link, no ones being forced to watch and theres a clear warning.'' is very disrespectful to a lot of people and very immature !

Care to elaborate on the text in bold? As I dont seem to understand how he disresped anyone.

The video was there to watch, I dont think anyone had a gun to your ghead to wach the video. Did they? As for the warning, It was there to warn people of the content of the video.

So the bottom line is, If you dont want to watch it, Dont watch it. simple!

Also all your "back seat modding" isnt really working!

Care to elaborate on the text in bold? As I dont seem to understand how he disresped anyone.

The video was there to watch, I dont think anyone had a gun to your head to wach the video. Did they? As for the warning, It was there to warn people of the content of the video.

So the bottom line is, If you dont want to watch it, Dont watch it. simple!

Also all your "back seat modding" isnt really working!

He disrespected the injured and dead parties but saying ''there's no need to remove the link'' ... Of course there's need to remove the link when it shows fatalities, Don't you think ?

How would you feel if your close relative was in that crowd of people and the video up here for everyone to see ?

Fair enough there's warnings but still, it should never have been uploaded to the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

This thread is long past its sell by date.
    It's lasted 20 pages mainly due to trolling or insensitive posting.
    Just my opinion.
    so I'm outta here.

He disrespected the injured and dead parties but saying ''there's no need to remove the link'' ... Of course there's need to remove the link when it shows fatalities, Don't you think ?

How would you feel if your close relative was in that crowd of people and the video up here for everyone to see ?

Fair enough there's warnings but still, it should never have been uploaded to the net.

Mate, your going round in circles here, Your repeating yourself and trolling. Goodluck!

They didn't - I did, by emailing BBC NI and voicing my disgust that they'd published it in the first place while two families prepare to bury their loved ones and two official investigations continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

did you not notice these roads are closed for the event, therefore not public during the event! the same way town centres can be closed off for festivals (how many more drunks in hospitals!), i hope similar issue can be taken there and not a case of well its not infront of my house so mot my problem, can anything be closed then, should jones or lansdowne roads be closed to cars on match days? hell should bohs have had to postpone a match because of a westlife concert?!
    the referral to it as a hobby sport is grossly insulting to all involved also

what do you want to do, ban all sport, there is risks to everything! Syncronised having to be put down at Aintree, Joaquim Agostinho the cyclist; Cormac mcAnallen and Fabrice Muamba(its a 1 in a million he is back from the dead) show even the field sports can have push bodies too far, so should they be banned, its impossible to screen everybody for these things but how many more fatalities:rolleyes:
    does that sound proposterous? yes? well so does asking for a ban of one of the largest sports in the world. so let us all sit at our keyboards and die of heart disease insead of getting some physical activity doing something we love. hell if my grandad didnt go for a walk one morning he wouldnt have died when he did and he only slipped and fell over... any speed can kill! so i genuinely ask you what is accepably safe?

perhaps here people were where they shouldnt have been but an amount of cop on like on any road is needed and with the amount killed on our roads in general its hardly always forthcoming. surely its not hard to realise a car going to fast will go straight on in a corner or you shouldnt stand on the other side of a jump incase the car is lined up wrong or something breaks on landing. maybe one year of absolutely jumping through hoops for marshals, giving them proper respect and cancelling stages is necessary to sort some attidudes then so be it

someone correct me if im wrong but the first death on the donegal rally came in the 00s when scenes like this was happening in the 80s, skip to 8mins for letterkenny stage. there are a hell of a lot more crowd restrictions today.(not to mention the near game of chicken played with group b wrc cars for a picture in the 80s)
    the likes of aryton senna, dan wheldon, michael "beef" park were killed in what in effect were perfect storms but for millimetres they all could have walked away. if the investigations turn up improvements then great, suggesting banning it is absurd, those involve know the risks they still do it

anyway the thread isnt about what sport is safe or not and this is my only input, if it is to be debated this isnt the place

so i say RIP Tom and Caroline, iv no doubt your photos and guidance along the stages will be missed. i didnt know either of you personally but from what iv heard and read the world of rallying has lost 2 great characters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Go to the Circuit of Ireland site or the Donegal Rally site and buried away in the pages you will find a list of do's and dont's advice for spectators. 'Advice' not warnings, advice. There is not one word about sanctions against those who repeatly ignore marshalls. The point here is that 'not enough is being done'.

After reading through this thread, your posts are extremely misleading and downright not true.

I attend the Donegal Rally every year and have done so for the last 10 years or so and what you have just posted is complete bs.

The Rally program (That anybody following the Rally purchases) has full pages outlining where it is safe for spectators to stand, diagrams outlining most scenarios. Full Size A4 pages,usually on the inside cover. They are not buried away.

It also clearly states that any person failing to adhere to any marshal's warnings and to move from an area when told then the stage will be cancelled and I have been to loads of stages that have been cancelled as a result of people refusing to move.

Before a stage begins the events safety officer, and head marshal drive through the stage telling people to move to safer areas etc, if they fail to do so the stage will be stopped.

Anyway, I will wait for official investigations to conclude before commenting on this tragic event. I personally know, from witness the tragic death of a young man during the Donegal Rally 3 years ago that the majority of media sources publish complete lies that do no-one any good.

RIP to the 2 people lost.

De Hipster wrote: »
    Perhaps you've missed the point that the families and friends of the victims and wider rallying community are grieving, that two people are dead & have yet to be buried, two investigations are underway, which when complete will make recommendations for improvements to safety 'where or if' gaps exist that could have helped prevent the tragic events unfolding yesterday...perhaps in your world making trouble is vitally more important.

How you can find disrespect in my posts is puzzling to me.
    I'm sure the grieving families have a pretty clear idea that the situation was not safe right now.
    Sensationalist statements are just that, sensationalist.

Do you seriously expect the investigations to state that the situation was perfectly safe ?

I'm arguing that it was unsafe, there is no offense to the family of the deceased intended, and none to the injured either, it's not their fault it was unsafe.

Nobody forces anyone to read a thread on Boards.ie, which is a forum for discussing things, not a condolences book. I'm not being flippant.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Have a word with yourself. This is a public forum where people discuss all kinds of things. You don't see people asking for 9/11 forums to be shut down because they are discussing how they would like to see air security made safer.

People have shown nothing but respect for the victims and most of the discussions are in relation to the safety of spectators in the sport. Surely that isn't a bad thing.

After reading through this thread, your posts are extremely misleading and downright not true.

I attend the Donegal Rally every year and have done so for the last 10 years or so and what you have just posted is complete bs.

The Rally program (That anybody following the Rally purchases) has full pages outlining where it is safe for spectators to stand, diagrams outlining most scenarios. Full Size A4 pages,usually on the inside cover. They are not buried away.

It also clearly states that any person failing to adhere to any marshal's warnings and to move from an area when told then the stage will be cancelled and I have been to loads of stages that have been cancelled as a result of people refusing to move.

Before a stage begins the events safety officer, and head marshal drive through the stage telling people to move to safer areas etc, if they fail to do so the stage will be stopped.

Anyway, I will wait for official investigations to conclude before commenting on this tragic event. I personally know, from witness the tragic death of a young man during the Donegal Rally 3 years ago that the majority of media sources publish complete lies that do no-one any good.

RIP to the 2 people lost.

Here is what I was referencing; please note that I was not referring to the programme.
    http://www.circuitofireland.net/2/spectators/
    http://www.d1135772.cp.blacknight.com/spectators.php?PHPSESSID=83c2772b9c1c5a69a98ea03cf85b5b94

Now you can claim all you want about rally organisers desire to keep events safe, I and others are saying (from actual experience) that that is only lipservice in a lot of instances. Anybody who seen that horrific video knows that safety was not a 'priority' on Sunday.
    It's that safety deficit that stopped me from going to rallies, the same ongoing safety deficit that contributed to the tragic events on Sunday.
    If safety was a 'priority as you state, where is the evidence of it on those 2 sites? The paltry amount of info is buried pages into the site. There is NO mention of sanctions against those who break the rules, they are not even rules, they are advice! That is the simple FACT, it was not 'misleading' or 'untrue' to state it.
    And before you use the usual denial guff, 'that nobody goes to websites', in all the rallies I attended, I never bought a programme and never seen a stage cancelled because people where on the course or too near it.
    What chance would somebody along the route who has no interest in the Rally have, with regard to their safety? We have heard two people on here say that no information was given to them, that the onus was on THEM to stay safe.
    Doing just enough to satisfy your insurers is not enough, frankly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

Here is what I was referencing; please note that I was not referring to the programme.

Now you can claim all you want about rally organisers desire to keep events safe, I and others are saying (from actual experience) that that is only lipservice in a lot of instances. Anybody who seen that horrific video knows that safety was not a 'priority' on Sunday.
    It's that safety deficit that stopped me from going to rallies, the same ongoing safety deficit that contributed to the tragic events on Sunday.
    If safety was a 'priority as you state, where is the evidence of it on those 2 sites? The paltry amount of info is buried pages into the site. There is NO mention of sanctions against those who break the rules, they are not even rules, they are advice! That is the simple FACT, it was not 'misleading' or 'untrue' to state it.
    And before you use the usual denial guff, 'that nobody goes to websites', in all the rallies I attended, I never bought a programme and never seen a stage cancelled because people where on the course or too near it.
    What chance would somebody along the route who has no interest in the Rally have, with regard to their safety? We have heard two people on here say that no information was given to them, that the onus was on THEM to stay safe.
    Doing just enough to satisfy your insurers is not enough, frankly.

All entry roads leading to a stage are closed and blocked by a vehicle and rope/ tape and a waring sign advising the public of the event and the dangers posed. you will never get to a junction without meeting a marshall or offical

With regards to residents on the stages.. every house is contacted by the organising club , the residents have the right to object and many do as is their right.

In the week leading up to the event ALL houses along the route are canvased at least twice in the evenings leading up to the event to allow the rsidents communicate any concerns or access issues to the club..
    As a Motorsport Ireland Sector Marshal i personally always try to accomadate residents .

In the last year we have stopped 2 stages both for medical emergencies unrelated to the events.
    but even mundane things such as access out to Mass etc are dealt with no problem.

barney 20v wrote: »
    All entry roads leading to a stage are closed and blocked by a vehicle and rope/ tape and a waring sign advising the public of the event and the dangers posed. you will never get to a junction without meeting a marshall or offical

With regards to residents on the stages.. every house is contacted by the organising club , the residents have the right to object and many do as is their right.

In the week leading up to the event ALL houses along the route are canvased at least twice in the evenings leading up to the event to allow the rsidents communicate any concerns or access issues to the club..
    As a Motorsport Ireland Sector Marshal i personally always try to accomadate residents .

In the last year we have stopped 2 stages both for medical emergencies unrelated to the events.
    but even mundane things such as access out to Mass etc are dealt with no problem.

I have no idea how that relates to what I posted. I'm sure those who claimed that no information was available to them along the route will comment on your claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Closed for review.

After Hours and boards.ie extend their deepest sympathies to the families affected by this terrible tragedy and wish those injured a full and fast recovery.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement