Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish nomads

• 27-05-2012 5:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I know we have (new age and traditional) travellers and circus folk in Ireland but are there any other groups that would be considered nomads here?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Depends on how you define a nomad.
    A member of a people that travels from place to place to find fresh pasture for its animals and has no permanent home.
    or
    A person who does not stay long in the same place; a wanderer.
    (http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/nomad)

Offhand, I can't think of any other nomadic groups in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Either really.
    I was in an old parochial house which is used as a community centre and a guy walked in with a knapsack looking for the local priest. He was well-educated but obviously living rough and he appeared to be just moving through the countryside. One of the old guys told me that he was a "knight of the road" and he suggested he was on some sort of modern pilgrimage. Just curious about people like that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I suppose there has always been individuals who have chosen, or were forced into, that way of life. I doubt that it would be correct to call them a group of nomads, because they tend to live a solitary existence, and don't move en masse.

Advertisement