Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which newborn car seat ?

Options
  • 27-05-2012 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

Hi All ,

Our 1st baby is due mid september and I have been given the task of getting a baby car seat .Now, I have no clue about anything baby related so I'm on a steep learning curve from here on in. Can you lovly knowledgeable people in all things baby related please tell me what I should be looking for when getting a newborn seat and what price range am I looking at?
    You've probably guessed by my lack of knowledge on the subject at hand that I'm the future Dad.The future Mom has given me this task and I want to get it right all on my own. ;). Mums the word.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The maxi cosi ones were the safest new born ones ,maybe consult Which.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

tried a few carriers (borrowing friends' ones on holidays etc) - and I found the maxicosi to be the best. It's heavier (personal opinion), but it's very handy - we use it with the isofix base and it's compatible with our pram, so it's really easy to get baby out of the car, onto the pram, go for a walk/shopping, and back into the car without waking him!

but all that comes at a price - ours was part of the travel system, but I think it's around 140 Euro, plus the base (not 100 % sure, shop around).

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

galah wrote: »
    tried a few carriers (borrowing friends' ones on holidays etc) - and I found the maxicosi to be the best. It's heavier (personal opinion), but it's very handy - we use it with the isofix base and it's compatible with our pram, so it's really easy to get baby out of the car, onto the pram, go for a walk/shopping, and back into the car without waking him!

but all that comes at a price - ours was part of the travel system, but I think it's around 140 Euro, plus the base (not 100 % sure, shop around).

good luck!

Maxicosi is ahead at the moment . Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

We have a Britax B-Safe with a belted base but you can also get an Isofix base.

A good few of my friends had Maxicosi's and they all had to move their babies on to the next car seat pretty early as the maxicosi was too small. All a good few months before they had their first birthday anyway.

My boy is just coming up to 10months and he's pretty tall, and he still has tons of headroom and is well within the weight limit for the Britax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Maxicosi.

My 14 month old still fits in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

No idea about how long they last as my little one only 15 weeks but I love my maxi cosi for same reasons as above - someone did mention to me that there's 2 kinds if base? We have the regular isofix one - but someone mentioned a familycare? One which fits the next seat in also which would be handy!
    Turns out our cars didn't have isofix but we bought 2 bases... Just our preference... And have one in each car belted in so just always very convenient!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Both of mine were 15 months coming out of the maxi cosi .
    It is good up to 13kg(28lb) or when they get too tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Glad to hear that the maxicosi's last longer than my friends got out of them.

I was surprised that maxicosi's (I have seen) don't have a five point harness though?

Does anyone have an extended rear-facing carseat? We are looking at the Two Way Elite as its the only extended rear facing car seat I can find without a foot prop. We can't have a foot prop as we have underfloor storage in our car.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think the first thing to point out is that all baby seats that are in brick and mortar shops have passed safety standards and testing. Even the cheapest flimsiest looking seat has passed the required testing.

But as price range increases, there are normally additional features and extra safety features tacked on.

The most important thing is your childs safety, whatever seat you buy, it is catered for.
    The next thing is what suits your needs. What you think will be more comfortable. Addtional safety features that you would like to have.
    What type of car do you have, does it have ISOFIX?
    Is it a 3-door or 5-door car, think about how you will have to put the seat into the car. Some seats are big an awkard for a 3 door coupe!

In general Maxi-Cosi normally tick all the boxes, but there are other brands/seats out there that would suit your needs better.

The best thing to do is to first look at where you will be putting the seat, check the amount of space and if there is iso fix. Then go to a shop and look at the seats available and see what would fix in your car, and then see what features you want. Normally in all shops you will get helpful sales assistants and the seats are normally displayed with thier safety and feature information.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think the first thing to point out is that all baby seats that are in brick and mortar shops have passed safety standards and testing. Even the cheapest flimsiest looking seat has passed the required testing.

But as price range increases, there are normally additional features and extra safety features tacked on.

The most important thing is your childs safety, whatever seat you buy, it is catered for.
    The next thing is what suits your needs. What you think will be more comfortable. Addtional safety features that you would like to have.
    Is it a 3-door or 5-door car, think about how you will have to put the seat into the car. Some seats are big an awkard for a 3 door coupe!

In general Maxi-Cosi normally tick all the boxes, but there are other brands/seats out there that would suit your needs better.

The best thing to do is to first look at where you will be putting the seat, check the amount of space and if there is iso fix. Then go to a shop and look at the seats available and see what would fix in your car, and then see what features you want. Normally in all shops you will get helpful sales assistants and the seats are normally displayed with thier safety and feature information.

Thanks everyone for the replies , I'm going to hit the baby shops next week and see what's on offer . I'll report back.

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Not all car seats that meet the required eu standards are as safe as each other . Look at the tests and results or read the "Which" don't buys.

Our extended rear facing seats are isofix but there is a belted version too,It is the besafe Izi x3. It comfortably fits a 3 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

We got the maxicosi on recommendation from friends who'd used it for three kids without issue and after all the reviews were positive; that said, this is a fairly strong testimonial! :D

It depends on the seat itself rather then the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

We were recommended by Tony Kealy's to get the besafe.
    They are new on the market and are testing 1% MORE safer than the maxi cosi. They have a 5 point strap system whereas the maxi cosi has a 3 point one (so baby is protected more from the side should you have an accident where someone hits the side of your car)
    Maxi cosi have always come out tops as there wasnt much competitors, but this new seat is now the one that tony kealy's will recommend.

They are the same price as a maxi cosi. It will fit into isofix and most buggies like the maxi cosi also.

http://www.tonykealys.com/besafe-izi-go.html

Did they recommend it for a newborn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Did they recommend it for a newborn?

yes

Cool :) when we got it it was only recommended from 6 months.
    I moved mine out of the maxi cosi and in to them at 15 months and the 3 year old has just come out of it to let her sister have it.
    Only issue with it is put it behind the passenger seat as it takes up a good bit of space.

*ignore me ,the link didn't open earlier for me so I though it was a different seat *

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

Which ever one you decied to get make sure it has a good fastener, I bought a car seat for a second car, I just went into the shop picked one and left, didn't put any thought into it. It wasn't till I had to use it that i ralised my mistake. The belt fasteners were a pain in the ass to put together when the child was calm and a nightmare when they were not. All the seats have to pass safty standards so your choice should be on ease of use and quallity IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PonyP

I second the recommendation for the BeSafe Car Seat. I have a ten week old and find it very easy to put him in and take him out of it. It also connects into our Quinny Travel System very easily.
    Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

PonyP wrote: »
    I second the recommendation for the BeSafe Car Seat. I have a ten week old and find it very easy to put him in and take him out of it. It also connects into our Quinny Travel System very easily.
    Best of luck.
    we have the besafe izi x3. I think it does from birth. goes up to 4 years old.
    its rear and forward facing and has a newborn insert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement