Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eucharistic Congress

• 27-05-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Anyone going? I'll be going for just a day ticket. I find the whole event for the full seven days to be too expensive and can only afford it for the one day. I'm going to see His Beatitude Patriarch Sviatoslav of the UGCC on June 16th. He is celebrating Divine Liturgy at 17:00 in English.

There is late booking online until June 4th.

www.iec2012.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brer Fox

I wouldn't mind going but I think I'll just be watching whatever coverage will be on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

You should try to get up for one day Brer, I think you would be impressed at the social dimension to it. I'll admit that 30 euro for one day is too much. Ten or fifteen euro would have been enough. I'll be going up for one day but the croke park gig is not really my cup of tea.
    A good few older Catholics have expressed confusion to me about the timing of this congress, especially with the cloud hanging over it re the cardinal and all that jazz but the more that I read about it the better I feel about it. Still too dear though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

I made a mistake!!! I ran around like a busy bee today trying to find out why Patriarch Sviatoslav was not on the Eucharistic program for June 16th at the RDS. I rang up today you see to get tickets for the day. Luckily enough before buying tickets I asked the woman over the phone to confirm that His Beatitude was on the bill for that day. She said she couldnt find him anywhere on the bill.

So I rang the Byzantine Parish and was told that it is taking place at Holy Cross College, clonliffe rd, Drumcondra, Dublin 3. It is also free and nobody needs to buy any tickets at all for any day program. Just come along. :D:D:D

So that's: Divine Liturgy in English by Patriarch Sviatoslav at 17:00 on Saturday June 16th at Holy Cross College, Clonliffe, Dublin.

Anyone here interested in attending the Byzantine Liturgy are more than welcome. This is actually my first time attending one in English as opposed to Greek, Ukrainian or old slavonic.

We have a beautiful choir and chants too that I think you would like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I'm just going up for the Statio Orbis on the Sunday. Yes, in an ideal world where I don't work and get free tickets and live in Dublin (maybe not ideal!) I'd go to the whole event. I'm sure there'll be plenty of interesting stuff on.

I figured I should be at the Statio Orbis. It's a public "step up and be counted" moment. The atmosphere should be good anyway.

As with all such events (pope in UK, etc) this will work out far better than anyone could imagine I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Just some info on booking...
    if you just want to go to Croke Park and didn't get tickets through your Parish, you can now buy them on www.tickets.ie for ten euro.

Also, the Pilgrim Walk around seven churches in Dublin city centre is FREE!

Also free is admittance to prayer with the brothers of Taize on Monday evening at c.8pm in the RDS.people can just turn up, but they are asking people to register beforehand at taizedublin@gmail.com so they have an idea of numbers. There is the opportunity to make a donation (of 2 or 3 euro) to cover cost of prayer materials, wristband etc. If the young people come for 7pm they will be able to hear the catechesis (for FREE too!!). At this stage they want to encourage as many people as they can to come.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity - if you can go at all, even for a day, I don't think that you'll be disappointed

• Advertisement

Considering Armagh is the premier See, why was the congress not held there? I'd nearly cite the Dublin-centric nature of the event as a reason not to go. Why are all these major Catholic things in Dublin? I don't like Dublin and it means nothing to me. All those crowds and fuss. Bring it up to Armagh! Down with Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Being from Cork, we hold it is quality and not quantity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Lots of hotels and a big stadium, that helps too. And a better class of people of course ;)

Brer Fox wrote: »
    Considering Armagh is the premier See, why was the congress not held there? I'd nearly cite the Dublin-centric nature of the event as a reason not to go. Why are all these major Catholic things in Dublin? I don't like Dublin and it means nothing to me. All those crowds and fuss. Bring it up to Armagh! Down with Dublin!

Ah come on yer jes bein lazy because your from the north and ya don't wanna travel. :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Onesimus wrote: »
    Ah come on yer jes bein lazy because your from the north and ya don't wanna travel. :p:D

After all, it's unlikely anyone from the North will have any other occasion to travel to Croke Park this year. :pac:

Yay! Tickets for Croker have finally been released and will be in parishes late this week or early next week:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Isn't it strange that a church who collects money for the less fortunate in life have €11.5 million euro to spend on a get together .I'm sure Jesus would have been impressed by the catholic church's use of money whether its for a get together or to maintain palatial home arounds the world .The mind boggles. Why is the church so wealthy ? I'd like to know .

bbsrs wrote: »
    Isn't it strange that a church who collects money for the less fortunate in life have €11.5 million euro to spend on a get together .I'm sure Jesus would have been impressed by the catholic church's use of money whether its for a get together or to maintain palatial home arounds the world .The mind boggles. Why is the church so wealthy ? I'd like to know .

Another pointless false dichotomy. :(

Statistically, people who get together for worship etc give more on average to charity than those who don't. And if Catholics (of whom I am not one) choose to pool their resources for an event of this nature then they are entitled to do so. Only a petty begrudger would argue otherwise.

PDN wrote: »
    Another pointless false dichotomy. :(

Statistically, people who get together for worship etc give more on average to charity than those who don't. And if Catholics (of whom I am not one) choose to pool their resources for an event of this nature then they are entitled to do so. Only a petty begrudger would argue otherwise.

I see and how is it a flase dichotomy , the church has money and it chooses to spend on self promotion rather than doing what it preaches. Hypocritical is what I call it , you call it what you like my friend.

I see and how is it a flase dichotomy , the church has money and it chooses to spend on self promotion rather than doing what it preaches. Hypocritical is what I call it , you call it what you like my friend.

As far as I know this is being largely funded by ordinary Catholics, and preaching and worship are part of any faith. If you think that Catholics shouldn't be doing this at all you should just come out and say it.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    As far as I know this is being largely funded by ordinary Catholics, and preaching and worship are part of any faith. If you think that Catholics shouldn't be doing this at all you should just come out and say it.

People can do whatever they want , I have no problem with what people choose to believe. It's the institution and it's workings I find difficult to understand. I'll let it at that.

That is untue. The church preaches that people should gather to worship. It also preaches that Christians should help the poor. It does not preach that one should be done to the exclusion of the other. It is perfectly possible to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Lots of the host churches have interesting events on for free. Merrion rd church opposite Vincents hospital has a great part of the Congress programme on, Eucharistic Adoration on all day and night during the Congress, also a programme for kids, families and teens in the day and evening.

All the details are on their website at www.merrionroadchurch.ie

Have seen the line-up for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies - looks amazing.

During the Opening Ceremony, 500 people from all parts of Ireland will take part in the Pilgrim's Welcome, which will be the official welcome to those travelling from all over the world

• Advertisement

I have to say that the welcome pack for the EC is very impressive, in particular the Four Gospels book.
    There are a number of interesting talks being given in the 34 host churches which are free. I'll be going to a few in the Dominican Saint Saviors church and in St Francis Xaviours in gardiners st. All these talks are free although some are part of Mass! :eek:
    I was driving a hi ace full of plants to the rds today and I have to say that the set up there is fairly enormous. There's also quite a lot of free reading material on the dozens of stands. So although 30 euro is quite steep I think it will be well worth it for a full day.
    Www.iec2012.ie

Now to pencil in that Orthodox celebration that Oneismus mentioned higher up in this thread.

bonniebede wrote: »
    Lots of the host churches have interesting events on for free. Merrion rd church opposite Vincents hospital has a great part of the Congress programme on, Eucharistic Adoration on all day and night during the Congress, also a programme for kids, families and teens in the day and evening.

All the details are on their website at www.merrionroadchurch.ie

Has Merrion rd church got their own marquee or is it near the RDS? It's not clear from this: http://www.merrionroadchurch.ie/inf,14.IEC-Daily-Schedule-in-Parish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Has Merrion rd church got their own marquee or is it near the RDS? It's not clear from this: http://www.merrionroadchurch.ie/inf,14.IEC-Daily-Schedule-in-Parish

It is near the RDS. Both are on Merrion Rd. The church is approx 1km south of RDS

I have to say that the welcome pack for the EC is very impressive, in particular the Four Gospels book.
    There are a number of interesting talks being given in the 34 host churches which are free. I'll be going to a few in the Dominican Saint Saviors church and in St Francis Xaviours in gardiners st. All these talks are free although some are part of Mass! :eek:
    I was driving a hi ace full of plants to the rds today and I have to say that the set up there is fairly enormous. There's also quite a lot of free reading material on the dozens of stands. So although 30 euro is quite steep I think it will be well worth it for a full day.
    Www.iec2012.ie

Now to pencil in that Orthodox celebration that Oneismus mentioned higher up in this thread.

Orthodox? :eek::(

*Onesimus senses Doc is pulling his leg* :p

Sorry, I should have read more carefully, I meant Byzantine. I had a long day, can't even spell Xavier right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I watching the ceremony now on RTE TWO HD and I thought it was going to a full house at the RDS today. It is maybe a sign of the recession that the place is not so full as it meant to be.

It is at half full at the very most which I have to say is disappointing. I would have went even for one day but as the rest of you, I couldn't afford to go. I think a lot for the GAA and Euro 2012 matches today which may a factor today in not many people turning up.

But they can still watch in on the RTE Player if they are away. This is on for a full 3 hours, so I don't think they would miss an awful lot.

The music I think is going very well so far. I have listened to a Gospel Choir from Glasnevin and Maynooth and they did very well.

And Bryan Dobson is there as well, I am surprised at that. He is not even Catholic as he is a Protestant. He was a past pupil of my former secondary school, Newpark Comprehensive School. It is great to see people from other religions to be involved at the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Cato Maior

I see that Brian Dobson is involved. Is this an ecumenical event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

The sound when the coverage commenced on RTE television was dire - also, the fact that the Three Tenors were singing on a slightly-raised podium in the midst of the crowd, and people were coming and going all around them, made it look like a flash-mob gone wrong. A very worrying start!

Thank God things have settled down nicely now that the service itself is beginning. Still, the quality of the sound on the TV leaves a lot to be desired.

I really hope this week goes well, and that it's a time of blessing not only on the Catholic church, but on the people of Ireland.

I'm going to the final Mass (Statio Orbis...is that it?) next week. I expect there will be a very large congregation at that. Looking at the proceedings so far today, though, I can't help feel that it's not exactly going to attract more people to - or back to - the Catholic church. I remember the wonderful scenes from the Charismatic Renewal Conference in the RDS in the late 70's.

Let's hope that things work out okay this week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Was channel hopping a little while ago. The quality of EWTN's picture to me is poor. Looks as if the are getting it direct from RTE. Could EWTN have got a better presenter as well than Kathy Sinnott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Alice1

I watching the ceremony now on RTE TWO HD and I thought it was going to a full house at the RDS today. It is maybe a sign of the recession that the place is not so full as it meant to be.

It is at half full at the very most which I have to say is disappointing. I would have went even for one day but as the rest of you, I couldn't afford to go. I think a lot for the GAA and Euro 2012 matches today which may a factor today in not many people turning up.

But they can still watch in on the RTE Player if they are away. This is on for a full 3 hours, so I don't think they would miss an awful lot.

The music I think is going very well so far. I have listened to a Gospel Choir from Glasnevin and Maynooth and they did very well.

And Bryan Dobson is there as well, I am surprised at that. He is not even Catholic as he is a Protestant. He was a past pupil of my former secondary school, Newpark Comprehensive School. It is great to see people from other religions to be involved at the event.
    Dublinman, I think people from different parishes & dioceses are arriving (as they are called by their bishops) so maybe that is why there appear to be empty seats?

Brian Dobson and whats'ername are there because Dublin city is the host - rather than the church in Ireland. I think that is what I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Alice1 wrote: »
    Dublinman, I think people from different parishes & dioceses are arriving (as they are called by their bishops) so maybe that is why there appear to be empty seats?

Brian Dobson and whats'ername are there because Dublin city is the host - rather than the church in Ireland. I think that is what I heard.

I can see now that it is happening atm but it doesn't many representatives from every parish from the country. It should fill up in the next hour or so to wait and see that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think it would have been better if RTE keep the commentary to text and keep the audio to minimum. Might just be our TV but it seems to drown out all the other volume.

I don't know about RTE's problems. I was at the event and it seemed very well attended. Sound quality in the arena was excellent. Even outside in Herbert park you could hear it loud and clear.

I watched it on EWTN. You could see empty seats near the front, and a whole stand was empty at the back. I felt bad about not being there. :o

The arena capacity is 35000 and as 20000 were expected, no access was allowed to the grandstand on the left side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Just back at the RDS for the second day.

Was a little bit disappointed about the attendance yesterday, at least compared to the German national Catholic Congresses I'm used to.

Here are some pictures from yesterday
    General pictures
    Opening Ceremony
    Opening Mass

and some from Saturday
    Pilgrim's Walk
    Pilgrims arriving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

What was the attendance in Croke Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

mdebets wrote: »
    Just back at the RDS for the second day.

Was a little bit disappointed about the attendance yesterday, at least compared to the German national Catholic Congresses I'm used to.

Here are some pictures from yesterday
    General pictures
    Opening Ceremony
    Opening Mass

and some from Saturday
    Pilgrim's Walk
    Pilgrims arriving

Hi there, I would be interested in purchasing some of your photos from the Opening mass yesterday. I was one of the altar servers.

Zamboni wrote: »
    What was the attendance in Croke Park?

Colonel1 I'm sure the photographer would be only too happy to sell you some, just pm them.

http://www.saintsavioursdublin.ie/component/content/article/2-newsflash/142-adoretedevote

This was extraordinarily impressive tonight, about 30 Dominicans singing prayers and hymns composed by Thomas Aquinas with a homily by Fr. Wojciech Giertych OP , Master of the Sacred Palace, that is theologian to the house of the Pope! I genuinely felt that I was back in the 13th or 14th century. It was pure theatre, although I suspect it's sacrilegious to suggest that.
    So if you want to experience Catholicism as celebrated in the Middle Ages get down to Saint Saviours. The list of the other preachers is in the link above. (there will be no inquisition unless requested).
    It really was quite stunning, lasts for about an hour and a half. Brush up on your Latin!

• Advertisement

I was surpriesed to see the Protestant bishop Michael Jackson 'blessing' holy water and people at Monday's proceedings!

I was also a bit miffed at that dreadful blond mature lady who was acting like some kind of MC. I'm pretty sure I saw her on Sunday as well. Me thinks she has priestly aspirations. Whoever thought she should be centre stage? Plus the two oriental girl altar boys. :rolleyes:

I hate the way some ideologues use these occasions to push female priests by having girls and women doing things on the altar. It's bizarre and actually pretty sad. These females can never be priests yet they allow themselves to be used as pawns in ideological battles of liberals. Just imagine using the Mass in that way.

(See, this is why I wasn't so enthusiastic about attending the IEC. Dublin is a long way to go to be annoyed when I can be annoyed just as easily by watching it on TV.)

http://www.saintsavioursdublin.ie/component/content/article/2-newsflash/142-adoretedevote

This was extraordinarily impressive tonight, about 30 Dominicans singing prayers and hymns composed by Thomas Aquinas with a homily by Fr. Wojciech Giertych OP , Master of the Sacred Palace, that is theologian to the house of the Pope! I genuinely felt that I was back in the 13th or 14th century. It was pure theatre, although I suspect it's sacrilegious to suggest that.
    So if you want to experience Catholicism as celebrated in the Middle Ages get down to Saint Saviours. The list of the other preachers is in the link above. (there will be no inquisition unless requested).
    It really was quite stunning, lasts for about an hour and a half. Brush up on your Latin!
    Is there videos or text available of these talks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I was surpriesed to see the Protestant bishop Michael Jackson 'blessing' holy water and people at Monday's proceedings!
    This act would be considered apostate by many of the independent reformed protestant churches.

This act would be considered apostate by many of the independent reformed protestant churches.

Orthodox Catholics would be equally unimpressed. I am unimpressed. I think it was disgraceful.

The Church teaches that the Anglican orders are invalid, yet here we have a Protestant clergyman 'blessing' holy water and sprinkling Catholics with it, and then giving the blessing to all the Catholics, who, like good Catholics, bless themselves. I think it is taking the pi**. Was this approved by Rome? If it was, then we are in a lot of trouble. Scandalous.

Doc, in my experience, Dominicans in the UK and Ireland can generally be relied upon to perform pretty well when it comes to marrying the best of the past and present. The fact that, as an order, they have (in the last decade for sure) not being running scared of anything remotely traditional has served them well. The fact that, relatively speaking, the Dominicans in both the UK and Ireland are bursting (relative) with vocations proves this.

On the question of alter servers (above). With the greatest respect to those who served I can't help thinking it would have been more appropriate to have boys/men serving. Allowing girls and women to serve is an accomodation to abuse of the boys only rule and not (correct me if I'm wrong) liturgical best practice.

If nothing else, the Eucharistic Congress should promote liturgical best practice. Put it this way - if BXVI was celebrating there would not have been female alter servers - why one rule for him and another for the rest of us?

PS - I'm going to the Statio Orbis on Sunday - looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

On the question of alter servers (above). With the greatest respect to those who served I can't help thinking it would have been more appropriate to have boys/men serving. Allowing girls and women to serve is an accomodation to abuse of the boys only rule and not (correct me if I'm wrong) liturgical best practice.

If nothing else, the Eucharistic Congress should promote liturgical best practice. Put it this way - if BXVI was celebrating there would not have been female alter servers - why one rule for him and another for the rest of us?

PS - I'm going to the Statio Orbis on Sunday - looking forward to it
    When BXVI visited UK, there were girl altar boys. The trouble is, these things are arranged in advance by liberals in the home country. When the Pope gets there, they know it would create a pastoral scene where the Pope or anyone else to complain about it. I guess BXVI thinks this battle isn't worth fighting. It was actually Blessed JPII who approved the girl altar boys after widespread abuse. He didn't want them, but they were in anyway so he then approved it. I suppose if the law is broken then the Church, rather than enforce it, changes the law to allow the abuse, as it did with Communion in the hand and girl altar boys.

More fool to those females who allow themselves to be puppets. Do they not realise that it is they who look foolish, up on the altar mimicking the priest, but all the while they can never fulfill their ambitions to say Mass. Kind of futile really.

Plowman wrote: »

God what a pain. Is that her name? She's up there centre stage. She looks like a right ejit. I mean, girl altar boys is one thing, but a bloody grown woman? Get a grip! I think she should have got that out of her system a long time ago.

This doll was wearing white garb and processed with the other clerics who included Bishop Martin. She also held the book for the Protestant bishop.

Orthodox Catholics would be equally unimpressed. I am unimpressed. I think it was disgraceful.

The Church teaches that the Anglican orders are invalid, yet here we have a Protestant clergyman 'blessing' holy water and sprinkling Catholics with it, and then giving the blessing to all the Catholics, who, like good Catholics, bless themselves. I think it is taking the pi**. Was this approved by Rome? If it was, then we are in a lot of trouble. Scandalous.

Actually, there is doubt over the validity of Anglican orders-which is why Anglican ministers who become Catholic priests are given a conditional ordination, which as I understand it allows for the fact that they may have been validly ordained.

In any case, anyone can give a blessing. This is a wonderful ecumenical gesture imo.

When BXVI visited UK, there were girl altar boys. The trouble is, these things are arranged in advance by liberals in the home country. When the Pope gets there, they know it would create a pastoral scene where the Pope or anyone else to complain about it.

I didn't know that there were girl alter boys at papal events in the UK. I understood that the new Papal MC Marini was a stickler about this kinda thing?
    More fool to those females who allow themselves to be puppets. Do they not realise that it is they who look foolish, up on the altar mimicking the priest, but all the while they can never fulfill their ambitions to say Mass. Kind of futile really.

Getting off topic of the thread but from a vocations point of view girl alter boys are far from ideal. Although i must say, most boys and girls serving are usually very diligent and well intentioned.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement