Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography Predictions 2012

• 27-05-2012 6:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Cause I just <3 to make and procrastinate, what do you think will be on the Geography paper this year- i'm only going to do physical/regional as the other sections depend on what section you're doing personally and I don't know the other option/elective questions:

And also if you want to leave your predictions for the Elective/Option Question, post them here but make sure you label which one you're discussing so we don't get all confusedballs! :D Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I have a feeling that "Formation of a rock type and how it produces a landform"
    will pop up :P It came up in 2008 and I think it is due up!
    Also sedimentary rocks hopefully will appear.Havent a clue what will appear on Regional as there is so much...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

David1994 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that "Formation of a rock type and how it produces a landform"
    will pop up :P It came up in 2008 and I think it is due up!
    Also sedimentary rocks hopefully will appear.Havent a clue what will appear on Regional as there is so much...

Sedimentary and formation of a landform there will hardly be both on:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I think historic settlements and overpopulation usually comes up most years.
    I've seen the historic settlements in nearly all papers. In the human elective .
    I'm not sure if isostatic processes will come up they rarely do until last year it showed up on my paper. I really don't think it'll come up again
    Landforms, human interaction with rocks, rock type , human impact on marine/fluvial/glacial (I think thats the question) , earthquake question a B/C part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Is it often that they dont ask human interaction with coastal processes in that marine/mass movement q? I find it much handier but one year they didnt allow for it, and my teacher insists on doing dams instead of the Rhine river...so yeah, dont like the idea of having to write about those :/

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Is it often that they dont ask human interaction with coastal processes in that marine/mass movement q? I find it much handier but one year they didnt allow for it, and my teacher insists on doing dams instead of the Rhine river...so yeah, dont like the idea of having to write about those :/

I'm doing the river Rhine myself. Last year thats what my teacher did. I don't think my teacher went through the river rhine this year or what he did.
    I think it's fine to write about the river Rhine thats what my last teacher last year did with us. Everyone will be doing a different answer so there will be people doing the river Rhine and others doing the coastal or the other one.

• Advertisement

Yeah but my teacher's really weird and obsessed with headings, he gave me 6/30 in my mock for trying to do the Rhine even though it deserved more so I'm too afraid to chance it :( But the thing is one year they didnt give coastal processes as an option D: I guess I'll learn both a bit and see how it goes :)

Yeah but my teacher's really weird and obsessed with headings, he gave me 6/30 in my mock for trying to do the Rhine even though it deserved more so I'm too afraid to chance it :( But the thing is one year they didnt give coastal processes as an option D: I guess I'll learn both a bit and see how it goes :)

I think there's a dam sample answer in the Sue Honan book. or there's a sample answer on e-xamit. http://www.e-xamit.ie/tutorial.php?id=16294&prep=16291&soln=16294&tip=16297&port=16404

You could learn one of them off if you didn't want to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

my predictions for physical:
    human interference with fluvial etc
    human interference with rocks
    irish landscape feature
    karst/sedimentary (sed is due up)
    earthquakes
    then maybe folding and faulting?

regional:
    culture
    secondary activities sub continental
    urban growth sub continental
    tertiary ireland
    contrasting between a specific activity in europe?

all complete guess work based on what hasn't come up recently and what likes to come up!

I think there's a dam sample answer in the Sue Honan book. or there's a sample answer on e-xamit. http://www.e-xamit.ie/tutorial.php?id=16294&prep=16291&soln=16294&tip=16297&port=16404

You could learn one of them off if you didn't want to take the risk.
    Haha I dont trust examit at all, they're soooooooo bad, look at the option questions for example - not a single one is done remotely right :eek:

But I'll look in the sue honan book, i forgot all about that, thank you! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

For earthquakes do they ask for specifics? like a case study or is it just a tectonic question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Spattersonox

skanger wrote: »
    For earthquakes do they ask for specifics? like a case study or is it just a tectonic question?

they could ask how to predict and record.. with reference to examples.
    So no matter what - KNOW A CASE STUDY :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

skanger wrote: »
    They could. I've learnt stuff about the Pakistan Earthquake in 2005 (8 October to be exact) and the Mexico City Earthquake on the 15 September 1985! Measuring 7.6 and 8.1 on the Richter scale respectively! :P

Haha I dont trust examit at all, they're soooooooo bad, look at the option questions for example - not a single one is done remotely right :eek:

But I'll look in the sue honan book, i forgot all about that, thank you! :)

I haven't looked at them . I just googled one of them now the answers for them seem quite short. I'm pretty sure Egypt is in that exam skills book about the River Nile :).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

regional geography is so long I just know it's going to catch me out! I'm terrible with the BMW and GDA, and I dont even wanna think EU enlargements on ireland :/
    But yeah sedimentary's defo due up, mass movement, and I'd say they're gonna throw in contrasting the mezzogiorno and PB :/

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭AnnaKin

Used to think Regional was easy, but after studying aa lot of the course yesterday I think its where I'll fall down :(

but still, In the Geoecology section A biome Q or a Brown Soils Q better come up! Otherwise I'm royally screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

For geoecology would this be enough?
    Biome 4 characteristics
    climate impact on the biome

Soils factors
    characteristics
    Brown Earths (with a little on latozols)

Advertisement