Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any n00bs doing TriAthy?

Options
  • 27-05-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm doing TriAthy next week (Try distance) for the first and I'm going down on my own. It would be nice to have somebody to talk to before the race starts! Is anyone else here doing the Try distance?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yep doing the sprint. First tri for me too. I'll be the one who looks like a racoon. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Myself, my gf and her dad will be down their for the try. Our first race so pretty much in same boat as yourself. Ill be the one with all the tattoos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'll be the in the middle of transition talking rubbish:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Sweet, I have no recognizable features so I'll come find you guys haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

My first triathlon and my first Triathy....I'll be the one on the hybrid bike possibly wearing a 3mm surfing short wetsuit, if my Tri wetsuit doesn't arrive in time ha

• Advertisement

fletch wrote: »
    My first triathlon and my first Triathy....I'll be the one on the hybrid bike possibly wearing a 3mm surfing short wetsuit, if my Tri wetsuit doesn't arrive in time ha
    Which race are you doing?

Which race are you doing?
    The Sprint.

Ordered my wetsuit a week ago from Wiggle and they still haven't dispatched it so looks like it won't be arriving on time. I already have a 3mm short wetsuit...will I be okay doing it in that?

Ordered my wetsuit a week ago from Wiggle and they still haven't dispatched it so looks like it won't be arriving on time. I already have a 3mm short wetsuit...will I be okay doing it in that?
    Which suit did you order from Wiggle?

The Orca TRN Wetsuit and FREE Zoggs Tri Vision Mask. It was one of the cheapest on the site so if I decide I like triathlons I might invest in something better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

The Orca TRN Wetsuit and FREE Zoggs Tri Vision Mask. It was one of the cheapest on the site so if I decide I like triathlons I might invest in something better

jesus that seems like a really good deal. is it bottom of the ladder when it comes to Orca ? (no offence, mine is far from fancy, just curious)

miller82 wrote: »
    jesus that seems like a really good deal. is it bottom of the ladder when it comes to Orca ? (no offence, mine is far from fancy, just curious)
    No idea tbh...I presume it is their budget range but I don't care. I doubt being a noob I would notice much of a difference. Reviews seem decent enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

No idea tbh...I presume it is their budget range but I don't care. I doubt being a noob I would notice much of a difference. Reviews seem decent enough too

Not to have a go or cause disappointment, so please don't take this the wrong way.

The Orca TRN is a training wetsuit. It is deliberately designed by Orca to be create some drag and feel heavier than a standard racing wetsuit. The idea being that by forcing you to work harder in training it should transfer to better race day performance in a more specific triathlon wetsuit.

It is not be the best suit for a first timer to triathlon as your swim technique may suffer as a result. It is aimed at triathletes who have a fairly decent higher range wetsuit that want something bombproof for training either in the open water or in a a pool.

Having said that have a great day enjoy your race. All going well you will enjoy it and decide to upgrade your suit, in which case you have a decent training suit in reserve. Welcome to tri!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Not to have a go or cause disappointment, so please don't take this the wrong way.

The Orca TRN is a training wetsuit. It is deliberately designed by Orca to be create some drag and feel heavier than a standard racing wetsuit. The idea being that by forcing you to work harder in training it should transfer to better race day performance in a more specific triathlon wetsuit.

It is not be the best suit for a first timer to triathlon as your swim technique may suffer as a result. It is aimed at triathletes who have a fairly decent higher range wetsuit that want something bombproof for training either in the open water or in a a pool.

Having said that have a great day enjoy your race. All going well you will enjoy it and decide to upgrade your suit, in which case you have a decent training suit in reserve. Welcome to tri!

Hi there..

Which IS the best Orca entry level suit then?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Orca wise, think their entry level is the S4. Seems a pretty decent suit. If you're new to tri though, just pick up the cheapest one you can find that fits you well and feels comfortable (and that your shoulder rotation isn't impeded).

I bought the Orca Kaisei on Wiggle last year for about 90 quid. It was my first season so wanted something cheap in case I decided to pack it all in after the first race! The stitching on it was crap, but a bucketload of black witch sorted that out. Was very pleased with it overall. In my mind, in terms of money gaining you time you're much better off chucking the few extra quid into the bike than into a fancy wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

thanks for the advice..

have a bike so just looking for a suit

as I'm doing TryLaois as my first race, i guess i don't need a suit for that if the swimming is in the pool,... do people still wear swimsuits indoor?

makes the swim easier because of buoyancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

darragh_k wrote: »
    thanks for the advice..

have a bike so just looking for a suit

as I'm doing TryLaois as my first race, i guess i don't need a suit for that if the swimming is in the pool,... do people still wear swimsuits indoor?

makes the swim easier because of buoyancy?

You mean wetsuits ? no not worn indoors

Advertisement