Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please - Identify Hedge

Options
  • 27-05-2012 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello,

I just bought a house recently and I'm completely new to gardening. There is a hedge at the front of the house which I'm looking to figure out what it is. I've attached two pictures of the hedge. I gather from looking at it that it is a fairly common garden hedge.

Also, for some unknown reason, there is a gap in the hedge of about 3ft - 4ft (also attached). Do you know if it's possible to take some of the hedge from one part and re-plant it where the gap is? If not, does anyone know how quick this type of hedge grows if I were to buy some new to plant in the gap?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

Looks like Laurel Hedging Prunus laurocerasus.
    Very common and easily got in garden centres/nurseries.
    You can buy them at differing heights, but will take year or two for them to fill out and look part of the rest of the hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

Looks like Laurel Hedging Prunus laurocerasus.
    Very common and easily got in garden centres/nurseries.
    You can buy them at differing heights, but will take year or two for them to fill out and look part of the rest of the hedge.
    Thanks. Google'd that and it looks like you could be right.

Do you know if it would be much effort to dig it up from one part and re-plant it where the gap is? Or would it just die when I dug it up and not fit in where the gap is?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Buddinplant

I have more experience with planting or removal rather then relocation. saying that there shouldn't be a problem with digging up a plant or two and planting in the gap. just prepare the ground, compost and water and work away. although if it was me i'd get a few new plants and fire them in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

If you want to remove part of the hedge and have nothing to lose if the plants subsequenty die, give replanting them a go, sure why not.

Prepare the soil where the gap is first. Water the plants you are digging up really well a few hours beforehand. Cut the plants back by half. Then dig them up keeping as much roots as you can and replant straight away. Make sure you look after them, watering etc. afterwards.

If you just got some new plants though youre more or less guaranteed success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm no expert but I thought moving hedge / trees was best done between Sept - April. It might be a bit late now.

Laurel plants in pots can be replanted now - less interference with roots - so better chance of success. Potted laurel ranges from €2-50 to €5 per plant depending on height. Check out local nurseries or DoneDeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

The best time to move mature plants with a rootball is winter, Nov to Feb as with bare root stock. Moving them in summer requires lots of aftercare ie water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

IMO....bareroots require a daily watering,even if planted in wintertime.

We feed our bareroot hedging and trees with a liquid feed and we also water them daily too,well after tea time and the heat has gone out of the sun and the day.
    Never had a single loss and all hedging and trees is absolutely flying and growing very very well indeed.

Soil preperation is also key to good success and good growth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Soil preperation is also key to success and good growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Learpholl

Thanks all for the advice. I think its probably more hassle than its worth to move them so may just look to buy some planted which are already at least some way grown so it doesn't take a few years before it will look like the one hedge again.

Advertisement