Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a student that did TY and is going into 5th year in September?

• 27-05-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hey guys :)

I did TY and yeah,we didn't too much. It was a fun year and I'm glad I did it and I just want to know what to expect from 5th year,the study,things we'll be doing,etc... if it helps the subjects I've picked are home ec,french,biology and business

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I don't really have much to offer except make sure you always listen in class and do all your homework.

If you start making notes for the French oral this year, leave space after each topic because you'll want to alter and add to it in sixth year when your French is better. Try to practice for the aural every week or every day too, even if it's only for a few minutes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Relax, I started studying Easter in 6th year, nailed my oral and most likely heading for over 500. Don't burn yourself out.

Make sure you keep on top of your languages and higher maths and you'll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Make really good notes and keep on top of maths. If a course is moving too slowly, do something about it because you'll end up at the end of sixth year with half it not covered.

The work load between 5th and 6th is very different, but still do work in 5th year. If you spend the whole of 5th year messing, 6th year will be hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Do your homework and keep on top of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

If it was me starting 5th year again after TY I'd tell myself study every day, but realistically thats not gonna happen.
    I'd say just stay on top of your homework, and learn things as you go along.
    Dont copy your homework from a book, learn it and then try to do the question.
    And get familiar with the papers straight away. Download the marking schemes.

Btw home ecs a bitch :P
    You'll prob hate every minute (like everyone in my class did) but its actually really good for marks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Just stay on top of the work but don't stress out over it. Btw Home Ec journal is an absolute nightmare, the relief when its sent off in 6th year is unbelievable but its 20% so do it your best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

Just don't sleep for the entire year. Work but don't stress yourself out! Don't leave learning everything to 6th. Try and get a good grip on French and Irish this year because it'll help next year! And keep up with your Home Ech Journal! Most of all, enjoy!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I'm curious about TY as my son is interested in doing it, Is it worth the extra year? Did you find it helpful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

MAKE NOTES.

This is the thing I wish I'd done from the beginning of 5th year. As you go through topics make notes for yourself. When it gets to the time of your LC you will be gloriously happy that you did it.

That and keep revising Maths. It's crazy how easily you forget the previous topic once you move onto another one. Give maybe a day or two each month going back over what you've done in Maths.

Don't kill yourself in 5th year, but don't make the mistake of doing nothing either because you'll most definitely regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

Relax. Dont worry about the LC, it'll all come together. I know that because you are already planning for it at the end of fourth year! It took me 'til christmas of 6th year to realise that I needed to get my ass into gear, and a few weeks later I was studying. You'll be fine. Just do the homework, and thats all you can do really. Enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

charlemont wrote: »
    I'm curious about TY as my son is interested in doing it, Is it worth the extra year? Did you find it helpful ?

There is a Transition Year forum that you may find helpful :)

Advertisement