Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reasons for moderator!!

Options
  • 27-05-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I got my licence for my first firearm recently, a cz452 .22wmr. Really happy with it, shoots great, and I've had many an enjoyable evening out with it.
    However, I was not granted a 'silencer', though I did apply for one. I received a two lined letter from the super a week later stating he would not issue one.
    I am to write to him to ask him to reconsider, and I'm just wondering if anyone could tell me where I could find details of decibel levels for this gun, and any other handy things to include in the letter.
    also, I know for a fact that he hasn't issued anyone with a moderator....against commissioners guidelines. Is there any way of challenging this?
    *and the gun does need to have a moderator, it has an almighty bang!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Are you located in Co.Meath by any chance?
    I was told by the superintendents secretary recently that in Co.Meath you are no longer allowed to use a silencer on farmland and it is " only to be used on an authorised range " as stated on my latest license. She said it is not about my license or me specifically, its for everyone in Co.Meath and that I was to tell any friends I know that use them- her exact words :eek: . Ive been shooting since I was 16 , owned, and subbed countless many guns over he years and this has only come into affect in the past few months. Yet.... I have to laugh , I stated specifically that I wanted the rifle for vermin control and the silencer to keep noise down when shooting around farm animals... never said anything about using it for target shooting on a range - yet they still granted the magic 'S' even after warning me that Its not allowed to be used on farmland........

Hard to believe I know but if any of you reading this shoot with a silencer in Co.Meath this apparently applies to you. If you want to find out more contact Anne Marie Gallagher in Ashbourne Garda Station 018010607 !

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Mr.Woodcock

This can't be legal can it? the super cant just make up his own laws, well I know many do but what I mean is can't it be reported to the nargc?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Well that's wrong, if you have a licenced moderator it can be used whenever you are shooting, wherever.

That seems like an attempt to scare people into not having one. I happen to know a super in a meath district, and will ask them about their policy on moderators just to see if it differs.

Anyway, I'm in a Dublin district with a new super...the old one had no problem with them but he moved the week I left in my application.

So what reasons would you write down for having one? I already said as part of the initial firearm application about shooting near livestock/night time shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭patdahat

i had a good result from the letters on this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056477145

Well that's wrong, if you have a licenced moderator it can be used whenever you are shooting, wherever.

That seems like an attempt to scare people into not having one. I happen to know a super in a meath district, and will ask them about their policy on moderators just to see if it differs.

Anyway, I'm in a Dublin district with a new super...the old one had no problem with them but he moved the week I left in my application.

So what reasons would you write down for having one? I already said as part of the initial firearm application about shooting near livestock/night time shooting.

Will ya ask the chap you know and let us know what he has to say ? itll be interesting to say the least ;)

I was told anyway was to pass the word on :confused: but anyone who wants to find out themselves can ring that number and ask for the girl named (supers secretary) and she will fill you in. Told a lad I work with the same last week , he rang her and enquired and was told the exact same as me.

All i said was that I wanted the silencer to shoot on farmland that contained livestock and didnt want them startled by the noise. Also that I wanted to protect my hearing and it wasnt safe to wear ear plugs as someone may try to get my attention while out on the land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

The Super could put restrictions on your licence.

Example;
    If a person applied for a specific firearm for Olympic shooting then it may only be used in such an event.

Same goes for moderators, the super could put a restriction on a licence so you cannot use it "Whenever and wherever you are shooting"

@patdahat - that link has some good points, I'll try them. I'm on very good terms with my firearms officer, and he even said that it appears that the new super is not giving anyone a moderator, which the firearms officer stated was not right!
    But anyway, he said he'd try push for it if I get a letter outlining a few good reasons.
    Thanks, and hopefully it'll work.

And I'll try find out from that other super in a Meath district if they are granting them with restrictions or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Ok simple answer is that the moderator must be issued under both EU and Irish Health & Safety law.

Personal protective equipment (PPE) as ear protection, are under law the last option to be used to reduce possible noise and damage to hearing. The first and correct option is to reduce the noise.

While you can wear ear protection others around you might not.

If needed talk to a health & safety consultation they can write a letter for you which will mean you will be granted it.

Ok, really sorry for the delay in posting again. Was talking to fellas in gun clubs and that shoot in both the trim and navan areas, and they have no restriction as to the use of a moderator.so I think that is something coming from the super in ashbourne, not a co. Meath wide law. Which can't exist anyway as the council can not pass such laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

i was chatting with our super today for a mod for a 10/22
    the ground is riddled with rabbit holes and there horses in the fields, explaned that i did not want to spook them they might break a leg if they fell trough whyle running, he said that was fine

• Advertisement

Ive kind of forgotten about this to be honest, but now its got me thinking again and is annoying me. So, the situation is that Ive been told by the Supers secretary that silencers may NOT be used on farm land in Co.Meath that its a "new rule" being enforced by the super. A few lads I know that deal with the station have been told the same as I and to "tell anyone you know that shoots rifles". So, its obviously a crock of sh1t stirred up by the super correct? But would he try enforce such a rule?? I mean really ????

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnnymolloy

ask to speak to him directly and ask for what reasons hes enforcing this explain that u wanna know why before u go to court with it, maybe the mention of court might sort things out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 magic_tree

I was told the same from ashbourne !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently got a new .223 my first rifle and on the app I put I just want it for fox control. i never mentioned target shootin yet I ticked the box for a silencer. I was told by someone who was dealin with my app that i couldnt use the silencer on any land except a firing range. I was still granted the magic S tho

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.............. explain that u wanna know why before u go to court with it, maybe the mention of court might sort things out
    Em, i would strongly advise against this. I guarantee you will not "spook" any Garda, Super or otherwise, into giving you something. In fact it will more than likely have the opposite effect, and convince him not to give you it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement