Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4.5 month old with really bad wind

Options
  • 27-05-2012 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im looking for advice. Our little one is 4.5 months and was breast fed until the last month. We've been getting her on to bottles and she's loving them. We've also started to change the night feed to a bottle feed and thats also going great.
    The only problem is that she has serious wind pains. We've been using Infacol and that worked but at night she's so bad. She literally wont sleep in the cot as she brings her knees up to her chest in pain and ends up rolling onto her tummy and crying. She seems to sleep in the bed with my wife but thats not ideal.
    She's using Aptamil 1.

Im just wondering if anyone has come across this and what they did?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Aww, poor thing.

Which bottles? There are avent ones with a wind reducing insert piece. (so they claim).

Other formula may suit better.

Be careful with the cosleeping. I'm super-paranoid due to experience with cot death, so just make sure you have the other risk factors reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Hi folks,

Im looking for advice. Our little one is 4.5 months and was breast fed until the last month. We've been getting her on to bottles and she's loving them. We've also started to change the night feed to a bottle feed and thats also going great.
    The only problem is that she has serious wind pains. We've been using Infacol and that worked but at night she's so bad. She literally wont sleep in the cot as she brings her knees up to her chest in pain and ends up rolling onto her tummy and crying. She seems to sleep in the bed with my wife but thats not ideal.
    She's using Aptamil 1.

Im just wondering if anyone has come across this and what they did?

My lady been like that from the start even with the 3 months breast feeding - then I blamed it on using shields but now I think it's just how the poor little thing is! We found the dr browns bottles made a good difference when we started off - had tried Avent and nuk to no avail, we also have her on comfort milk - aptamil which seems to suit. We wind her like crazy and bicycle her legs a lot to help get wind out!
    Also apparently around 18 weeks their digestive system becomes more mature and capable of handling these things so hopefully won't be to bad for too long :(

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My little guy was like that and we found the Aptamil comfort formula good, the only thing is the poos will be fairly messy because it's an anti-constipation formula also. We had to stop 4 or 5 times during the feed to wind him, and make sure to give a good long wind after the feed, it's a pain I know, but we had to do it. The one thing I found that really helped was to elevate the top of the cot/moses basket slightly. We put a towel under the top end of the stand while he was in the basket, and when he moved in to the cot we got him a sleep positioner, which kept him at a slight angle and it was an absolute godsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

try sitting baby upright hand supporting babys tummy,thumb under babies armpit,whilst feeding.gentle pressure from palm,whilst supporting upright sitting position when winding,should help wind to move up or down.
    Cool boiled water also helps to break the wind sometimes. I'm awake ,insomnia :(
    sympathise with you. Been there done that,drawer full of tee shirts with colocky baby,it will pass. Good luck, may the wind blow free:p

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

my breastfed 20 week old is the very same but she is grand durin the day usually. but wakes during the night trying to fart and eventually succeeds with big man farts thats the only way i could describe them!! when she hit 3 months this stopped for a few weeks but it came back again. so i dunno. im really at a loss. she would sleep all night if it wasnt for this. i then have to feed her back to sleep tho il have to get out of ths habit!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for the coments. We bought the Aptamil Comfort food but havent used it yet because she has no problem with dirty nappies and we'd probably have to check with the doc before changing her onto it.
    During the day she's great but at night its crazy. We keep her in the bed because at night she brings her knees up which causes her to roll onto her tummy and she ends up crying, or up against the side of the cot. We've tried cycling her legs, winding her, etc but it doesnt seem to work. She's not able to roll back so its a worry at night when shes in the cot.

Also I just noticed another thing. I just put her down for her nap there and straight away the legs came up and she rolled onto her tummy - and fell asleep. Its like shes really comfortable in that position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

my little fella was like that from day one and it was so distressing, we used infocol and did the whole bicycle thing too and lots of rubbing and patting on his back, but it went on for months easily up to 8/9 months

we also used gripe water, supervalue in churchtown had it, and drinks of cold boiled water, thankfully that stage is over and im nearly at the terrible twos

tbh its just their whole digestive system being immature and its something that you have to ride out, although the farts are horrific and sound so painful and it is a distressing time for both baby and parents

OP i hope baby gets some relief soon, just keep doing the infacol, bicycle movements and lots of rubbing and patting on the back and in no time you will be reading threads on here going oh yeah I remember my little one being like that :)

peace and love OP x

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

It doesnt sound to me like a formula or bottle problem - sounds like colic or gut reflux - try belly time to get the belly muscles working to move the wind, if you have a stairs the movement up and down might also shift it. You could also try baby gavisgon powder to be added to formula before feeds. I use a tummy tub for bathing as part of bedtime routine, when my little one sits into it he burps and farts happily.A strong Belly massages in front of the stove will help with muscle strength- probably not a runner in this weather. my little one loves his head and forehead massaged and this is very relaxing. Best of luck. My little fella grew out of his pains as I call them at 14 weeks, and the pains for him were so bad they brought tears to his eyes and this is and was soo hard to see him go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

edellc wrote: »
    my little fella was like that from day one and it was so distressing, we used infocol and did the whole bicycle thing too and lots of rubbing and patting on his back, but it went on for months easily up to 8/9 months

we also used gripe water, supervalue in churchtown had it, and drinks of cold boiled water, thankfully that stage is over and im nearly at the terrible twos

tbh its just their whole digestive system being immature and its something that you have to ride out, although the farts are horrific and sound so painful and it is a distressing time for both baby and parents

OP i hope baby gets some relief soon, just keep doing the infacol, bicycle movements and lots of rubbing and patting on the back and in no time you will be reading threads on here going oh yeah I remember my little one being like that :)

peace and love OP x

my nearly 21 week old is the same and ive tried all the above too. and i agree the farts are horrific and sound painful!! shes breastfed so im cutting out eggs to see if that helps. its the olny thing that MIGHT be causing it but i do think so. it might be something she has to grow out of:( we did get a month of no wind so not sure why its returned. its only at night time too.

• Advertisement

Folks I have one other question. Our little one has been a bit unsettled in the last couple of days and we put it down to teething and increasing her formula.
    I just changed her dirty bum there and noticed that the nappy was quite runny (apologies for those eating!). Is that normal? Sorry, first time Dad here so everything seems to bring a question from me!

if your baby is teething then a running nappy is very normal, as is rosy red cheeks, cranky baby, nappy rash and even some times a rash on babys chest oh and biting everything in sight

make sure you use enough sudo cream or Vaseline so it helps with the nappy rash as with a running bum it usually follows

and for the teeth have some teetha at hand to rub on the gums to help with the pain

best of luck with it op if you thought it was hard before this is where it gets tough x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I've found bepanthen the best thing for nappy rash. My son rarely gets it but when he does bepanthen clears it up very quickly.

^^^

couldnt think of the name of it but yeah that is great on nappy rash

Advertisement