Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats wrong with my grass?

Options
  • 27-05-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

i know its a bit mad but i took some pictures of my grass cos its been annoying me lately. I'm not sure why its not the way it should be but maybe someone can tell me by looking at the pictures.

the mower i have is a petrol husqvarna one but wont collect the grass no matter how short i cut it. so i don't collect it really and that could be part of the problem but i also think there is alot of other stuff growing in it too.

i cut it every 2-3 weeks or so in the summer and the mower is at the highest setting. if i lower the mower and do it again in a few days it doesn't look any better in fact it looks shaved.

i tried raking a patch of it to clear the top lot of clippings and once the loose bits were gone i was left with long thick sort of white stems of things and the soil was very visible between its as if there is no grass there really at the bottom of it all. kind of hard to explain hopefully the pictures will shed some light on it. its a big garden too so i doubt i'd be able to rake it everytime - i'd die trying i reckon

picture006plo.jpg

picture007rl.jpg

picture008xr.jpg

picture009ym.jpg

picture010xq.jpg

Hope its ok to show the images as they are - i resized them so as not to be too big. thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

its looks like grass that used to be very long and grown into tufets, its all full of weed, if you start by cutting it every week it will help but will take time to recover

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Definitely lots of weeds, looks like its full of buttercups and little grass. Best bet may be to spray it with a lawn weedkiller and then reseed it with grass seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

muckyhands wrote: »
    Looks like its full of buttercups and little grass. Best bet may be to spray it with a lawn weedkiller and then reseed it with grass seed.
    I used a weed and feed from goulding before and it made a huge difference. It's in pellet form so you just sprinkle it on and water. Might be worth giving that a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

thanks i'll try the goulding stuff and cut it a bit more often to help the grass overcome the weeds:)

Advertisement