Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening gift - bottle of port?

Options
  • 27-05-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've to get my godson a decent christening gift in a few weeks and a friend mentioned buying a bottle of good port or something. Then my godson opens it in 21 years or whatever and it's worth a few grand?

Any ideas? Does it have to be port, what about whiskey. Would i get it for €50-100? Where to buy etc? What could it appreciate by?

Any suggestions would get greatly appreciated
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Hi

I've to get my godson a decent christening gift in a few weeks and a friend mentioned buying a bottle of good port or something. Then my godson opens it in 21 years or whatever and it's worth a few grand?

Any ideas? Does it have to be port, what about whiskey. Would i get it for €50-100? Where to buy etc? What could it appreciate by?

Any suggestions would get greatly appreciated

If it was as simple as buy now and get a 900% or more return in 20 years then wed all be doing it.

Some bottles are highly collectable and could increase in price, others could follow inflation and some could be worthless.

My advice is get something with the year of bottling printed on the front so even it it doesn't go up in value at least it will be a nice thing for your godson to taste something from the year he was born.

If you want something that will increase in value over time, buy him a German bund.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

No idea on port but you want something that will last 18 or 21 years so the obvious one for me would be ...

Bottle of Midleton 2012, most likely will hold a decent value over the years. Midleton is currently the most collected Irish whiskey and values are fairly well documented and steady.

Even though I know there3 are better whiskeys I could get my kids the Midleton is great as it has their year of birth on it and that is going to be the thrill for them when they come of age not overly the contents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

On the subject of this, a colleague is interested in Midleton Rare 2012 (for himself. not as a present ;))

I'm flying from Belfast City to Edinburgh this weekend, I said I'd see could I pick it up for him

It's €149 in The Celtic Whiskey Shop and €147 in Molloy's

Would I get in cheaper in the airport in GBP? Or in Edinburgh for that matter

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rangi

Is this the one,not sure what year it is though,the reviews are older,but stock would've changed in meantime. Branch in Edinburgh,I'll be spending some time in the Hethrow branch 2mw:)

http://www.worldofwhiskies.com/Irish/MIDLETON-VERY-RARE-70cl.php

Back to original poster,I agree with the previous posts,theres a good chance the whiskey will gain value,and he may be able to sell it for a nice wee bonus when he gets to 21.

Advertisement