Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming an Educational Psychologist|??

• 27-05-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I'm currently a BSc Ed undergraduate. Having encountered some Psychology modules I found myself more interested in the Psychology of Education than education itself. I've scoured the net and dug up some info about entry requirements such as a Main degree in Psychology. On the other hand school based experience is a formidable counterpart in gaining entry to such a course. The two Universities involved include Queens and UCD. UCD holds a Masters and a PhD. I'm confused as to what path I could potentially follow given I've 2 years under my belt in BSc Ed which includes the following up to year 2 for credits sake
    http://www.nuim.ie/courses/?TARGET=QS&MODE=VIEW&QUALIFICATION_CODE=SCED&TARGET_SOURCE=QUALIFICATION
    I chose Maths and Exp Physics in Year 2 as well as the ed module which contains Psychology
    Any suggestions as to the options I have to end up in Educational Psychology if any??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

In Ireland you can do Ed Psych at Masters level in Mary Immaculate College, Limerick, or University College Dublin. You can do it at Doctorate level in Queen's University Belfast. There has been a move towards favouring doctorate level programmes in the last few years.

To gain entry you typically need a degree in psychology (either an undergrad, or one of the postgrad 2 yr conversion courses), as well as relevant experience. For the vast majority of people that experience would be as a teacher. Many people entering would also have other qualifications, e.g. postgrads in SEN.

Your undergrad module credits have no bearing on being a Ed Psych, unless you're talking about your undergrad modules in a Psychology degree (which needs to meet PSI requirements).

Advertisement