Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live folk albums

Options
  • 27-05-2012 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I've been listening to a lot of Christy Moore's Live albums and bootleg CDs recently. I had forgotten how good it was to hear folk music live and the interaction/banter with the audience.

Can anyone recommend me any good live folk albums from other artists?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Ah good call HOS, I wouldn't mind seeing a list myself. Christy has a great collection of live albums alright, and they're all so different. Do you have the Tønder one?

Funny I thought I'd have loads of recomendations for you but right now I can only think of two that I'd really suggest: Planxty Live Vicar Street 2004 (maybe you've heard this already given you have Christy's stuff), and Jim McCann Greatest Hits Live. The former being amazing in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

I don't have that one. I've been listening to a bootleg that was recorded in Rome in the 80's over the last couple of days though that is superb.

Good recommendation about Jim McCann, I love his version of 'Clare to Here' and 'Cavan Girl'. A great singer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Planxty - live in Vicar Street
    Paul Brady - Liberty Tapes
    Mozaik - Live in Brisbane

I think folk music is great in a live setting. I am thinking about going for a Luka Bloom live one.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Just remembered Liam Clancy, Live at the Bitter End. It's a DVD but it's still up there with the best live performances I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

For traditional music as opposed to folk

Noel Hill & Tony NacMahon - Cnoc na Grai

Joe Einniu/Joe Heaney/Seosamh O Einniu - The Road from Connemara - sean nos and stories told in a live interview format with Ewan McColl and Peggy Seeger

Joe Einniu/Joe Heaney/Seosamh O Einniu in the Pacific Northwest - Live singing to an audience with stories and background on the songs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭HOS 1997

Just remembered Liam Clancy, Live at the Bitter End. It's a DVD but it's still up there with the best live performances I've ever heard.

I saw that performance on RTE a couple of times. Excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 mrfinnj

its still kind of christy but ive always loved planxy especially the 2004 cd
    http://irishcountry.ie/index.php/planxty-live-2004-cd.html

mrfinnj wrote: »
    its still kind of christy but ive always loved planxy especially the 2004 cd
    http://irishcountry.ie/index.php/planxty-live-2004-cd.html

Ah yeh, that's great. I can't stop watching the videos for this now and I've a lot of work to do, thanks a lot mrfinnj!

Just to return the "favour", here ye go. Awaay Musgrave awaaaay...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

I'll second the Paul Brady Liberty Tapes. One of those live albums that makes you a bit sad because you weren't actually there to hear it.

-Tyler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 mrfinnj

Ah yeh, that's great. I can't stop watching the videos for this now and I've a lot of work to do, thanks a lot mrfinnj!

Just to return the "favour", here ye go. Awaay Musgrave awaaaay...

ha! no problem, no point the two of us trying to work! lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement