Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1,000 Litre IBC Tank Wanted

Options
  • 27-05-2012 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a clean (preferably new) IBC tank to do water changes on my pond. Anyone any idea where I can get one? I had a look on Adverts, but most are down the country and I would need it delivered to North Dublin.

I bought one recently and had it delivered. I was assured it was only used for water. However, when I got it (wasn't around when it was delivered) I found that it was used for diesel. I tried cleaning it out, but couldn't get rid of the smell. I wouldn't chance it with fish so sold it on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭ymurtagh

may i suggest you put you money into water pond filters etc, never a need to change water

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Try donedeal.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I picked one up (complete with cage and quick fit tap)off adverts.ie for 60 euro delievered from Meath.

It was used by a driveway/patio cleaning company for storing water in their company van.

You will also get them on donedeal too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

ymurtagh wrote: »
    may i suggest you put you money into water pond filters etc, never a need to change water

I have a filter and respectively disagree that you never have to change water once you have a filter. A filter doesn't deal with nitrate.

redser7 wrote: »
    Try donedeal.ie.

Had a look, but nothing that catches my eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

ponddigger wrote: »

Sweet.:)

We have pond in one of our gardens appro 60 fish ranging 5in to 14in in lenght, water has never been changed since we put this type of filters in http://bestkoi.net/koi-filters/

ymurtagh wrote: »
    We have pond in one of our gardens appro 60 fish ranging 5in to 14in in lenght, water has never been changed since we put this type of filters in http://bestkoi.net/koi-filters/

There has to be specific media in the filter to remove nitrate which will eventually become exhausted. Plants will also absorb some nitrate. Nitrate is not eliminated with the normal nitrogen cycle and eventually build up to dangerous levels.

i'll test it again soon now is 2yrs old, we have uv bulbs and aerators also,, be sure to get as much oxygen into ibc tank if are going down that root, leave the hose running on lowest presure or somthing like that,you will need hax saw top off the ibc, they a strong, lidl pond vacs also as good as the pro versions also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

paddy147/redser7: Looking at getting an IBC tank as well. Would ye lads know the measurements of 1000 litre tank? I need to be sure that it fts where I want to put it. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

roughly 1m cube, but not exactly. Not sure. But that's a good guide.

wait4me wrote: »
    paddy147/redser7: Looking at getting an IBC tank as well. Would ye lads know the measurements of 1000 litre tank? I need to be sure that it fts where I want to put it. Thanks

1.6m cube. They are pretty big and not that easy to move around.

You dont need to do water changes in a pond,all you need is a good filtration system and treatment and you top up the pond every once in a while with tap water,via a garden hose.

The right plants in the pond help to oxyginate the water too.

ksimpson wrote: »
    They are pretty big and not that easy to move around.

Which brings me to another question: how heavy are these boys when they are empty? Would a man on his own be able to move one around to postion it or would more muscle be needed?

wait4me wrote: »
    Which brings me to another question: how heavy are these boys when they are empty? Would a man on his own be able to move one around to postion it or would more muscle be needed?

They can be easily slid around and pushed into place by an average person.:)

I reckon that I am about average :D - thanks paddy

paddy147 wrote: »
    You dont need to do water changes in a pond,all you need is a good filtration system and treatment and you top up the pond every once in a while with tap water,via a garden hose.

The right plants in the pond help to oxyginate the water too.

I wouldn't recommend adding untreated tap water to a pond. Chlorine damages the fishes gills and also wipes out beneficial bacteria in the filter.

ksimpson wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend adding untreated tap water to a pond. Chlorine damages the fishes gills and also wipes out beneficial bacteria in the filter.

That pond has being going strong for allmost 20 years now,and is absolutely thriving.

A good filter,pump and a splash of water via the garden hose every now and then.

Koi Carp,frogs,tadpoles,daphnia and also fresh water shrimp.:D

You do regular water changes (approx 20% with tapsafe treatment every 3-4 weeks on my 500 litre Discuss tank) for aquariams,but theres no need do do this with regards an outdoor pond.

i agree paddy, never had a problem with tap water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi wait4me.you can take out the plastic tank from the steel cage.undo the top 2 bars:Dponddigger:D

Advertisement