Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in garden question

Options
  • 27-05-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

We have a dog in our garden for the last 4 years doing its business as dogs do.

We'd like to partition the garden in two to keep the dog away from one half and give it over to our young one.

However, herself thinks that we'll have to treat the lawn and whatnot to remove whatever essence of poo that the dog will leave behind. I thought that a couple of weeks and all the poo will be absorbed into the ground but she wants more. She points out that dogs are banned from football pitches so if grown men can't be around feces then definitely not our daughter.

Any idea if such a product exists to treat the lawn and garden? Or is time the best healer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

good question but i reckon you wont be able to keep them away from it forever like in parks and other houses etc. once they get into the habit of washing their hands they should be ok.

here is a link to a similar question

http://community.babycentre.co.uk/post/a8208635/dog_poo_gardens_anxiety_and_antibacterialising_the_grass

and another one

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280350

most of the answers say don't worry about it once they don't eat it or put it in their eyes. alot suggest just hosing down the places where the poo was - hope it helps

oh and nice avatar - makes me want to go and play lemmings or something

If I were you I'd just hose it down to keep her happy, but to be honest, unless I'm misreading what you're saying, the whole thing is pretty redundant.

There will always be either similarly or more dangerous stuff than a bit of poo on your lawn. There will always be wild animals about, insects crawling about and micro-organisms on everything. Not to mention that plants can contain pretty toxic stuff themselves sometimes. If it's a case of actual poo, then I can see the reasoning, but if it's just the germs, or "essence of poo" that she's worried about, then she really needs to be told that there will always be dirty things outside and that your child just can't be allowed under any circumstances to be putting her hands near her face while playing outside. I'm sure you know all this already, as does your partner, but it looks like she needs a bit of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

I read somewhere recently that some of the healthiest kids/people live on farms and there is sh*t everywhere on a farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

If I were you I'd just hose it down to keep her happy, but to be honest, unless I'm misreading what you're saying, the whole thing is pretty redundant.

There will always be either similarly or more dangerous stuff than a bit of poo on your lawn. There will always be wild animals about, insects crawling about and micro-organisms on everything. Not to mention that plants can contain pretty toxic stuff themselves sometimes. If it's a case of actual poo, then I can see the reasoning, but if it's just the germs, or "essence of poo" that she's worried about, then she really needs to be told that there will always be dirty things outside and that your child just can't be allowed under any circumstances to be putting her hands near her face while playing outside. I'm sure you know all this already, as does your partner, but it looks like she needs a bit of perspective.

Theres a really good add out there somewhere. :D

For far too long the kid gloves have been left on- theres an add, by Fairy I think, that dirt is good.....

Find this, play it over and over... she cant argue that kids build up immunity by exposure. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Howya stranger,

Similar set up here.
    2 dogs and 2 boys.
    Just keep the poo picked up 3 or 4 times a week and nature will take care of the rest.
    If a deposite dosent come away too easily then hose down what is left.

Hope all is well up there.

R.

• Advertisement
Advertisement