Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Council Post Qualification Experience - 300 hours

• 27-05-2012 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just going through this form C you need to send in to the TC as proof of doing the 300 hours and one term has raised a few questions:

"A minimum of two thirds (⅔) (200
    hours) of the approved employment must be involved in the teaching of a curricular subject to a designated class on
    the School’s timetable. Up to one third (⅓) (100 hours) of the approved employment can be carried out in a learning
    support, special needs, language support or Guidance Counselling role. A maximum of a three year period is permitted
    within which a teacher must complete this requirement."

I did about 100 hours this year. All of which was subbing/sick cover. About 50 hours was for my qualified subjects and 50 miscellaneous other subjects. From my reading of this it looks like the 100 hours I have gotten would fall into the 2/3rds part as they were all curricular subjects, although not mine. All of the classes were to a designated timetabled class group.

Anyone had any experiences filling in this form in a similar situation to me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Well... I'd lie and say that the 100 hours were all in your curricular subject.. if the principal is willing to sign off on it... NOT that I am admitting to ever doing this but ****ing teaching council have my heart broke!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

lestat21 wrote: »
    Well... I'd lie and say that the 100 hours were all in your curricular subject.. if the principal is willing to sign off on it... NOT that I am admitting to ever doing this but ****ing teaching council have my heart broke!!!!

My reading of the form seems to indicate that it actually doesn't matter if it was/wasn't your qualified to teach subjects:

hours) of the approved employment must be involved in the teaching of a curricular subject to a designated class on
    the School’s timetable."

Just to follow this up if anyone in future is wondering. Any curricular subject counts regardless of what you're qualified to teach. Seems odd but the TC confirmed it to me today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Does anybody knows what happens if you don't go into teaching straight after the dip? Say you don't teach for 3 or 4 years after the dip. Do you lose your registration?

You will never lose the dip as such but you might need to submit your transcripts and do your vetting all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

You will never lose the dip as such but you might need to submit your transcripts and do your vetting all over again.

Not sure this is true. Certainly at secondary the threat is there. If you don't get the experience requirement within the specified period (3 years?) of gaining your HDip then you can lose your HDip. I'd be very surprised if they ever actually carried through on this threat. Its not our fault if the jobs just aren't there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Hi,

Just going through this form C you need to send in to the TC as proof of doing the 300 hours and one term has raised a few questions:

the School’s timetable. Up to one third (⅓) (100 hours) of the approved employment can be carried out in a learning
    support, special needs, language support or Guidance Counselling role. A maximum of a three year period is permitted
    within which a teacher must complete this requirement."

I did about 100 hours this year. All of which was subbing/sick cover. About 50 hours was for my qualified subjects and 50 miscellaneous other subjects. From my reading of this it looks like the 100 hours I have gotten would fall into the 2/3rds part as they were all curricular subjects, although not mine. All of the classes were to a designated timetabled class group.

Anyone had any experiences filling in this form in a similar situation to me?

Delta Bravo - just to make you aware (if you don't know already) that there is changes being made to the induction requirement. I haven't read the new requirements thoroughly but the way I read it is that if you haven't got your full requirement of hours completed this year then you must follow the new induction guidelines - 12 workshops over three years. You can get more details about it here:

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/newly-qualified-teachers-induction-requirement-for-registration.1352.html

Its doesn't seem to say that chippers. From my reading the new changes apply to those who are finishing their teacher education in 2012.

chippers wrote: »
    Delta Bravo - just to make you aware (if you don't know already) that there is changes being made to the induction requirement. I haven't read the new requirements thoroughly but the way I read it is that if you haven't got your full requirement of hours completed this year then you must follow the new induction guidelines - 12 workshops over three years. You can get more details about it here:

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/newly-qualified-teachers-induction-requirement-for-registration.1352.html[/QUOTE]

Sorry deltabravo but this sound to me like anyone finishing up their PQE.... "In addition, other teachers who apply for registration from 02 July 2012 under Regulation 2 (primary), Regulation 3 (Montessori and other categories) and Regulation 4 (post-primary including VECs) are required to complete the induction workshop programme provided that they have not previously:

met the requirements of Post Qualification Employment (PQE) (post-primary)"

So when I reapply in June I wont have finished my PQE and I will have to so this nonsense. Thats time that I could spend doing CPD courses or looking for jobs. Thats actually ridiculous... any word on what these 12 workshops will be bout???

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Chris68 wrote: »
    Not sure this is true. Certainly at secondary the threat is there. If you don't get the experience requirement within the specified period (3 years?) of gaining your HDip then you can lose your HDip. I'd be very surprised if they ever actually carried through on this threat. Its not our fault if the jobs just aren't there!

I'd worry they'd carry out the threat to squeeze yet more money out of us :(

Tbh, this has me worried. I was unemployed for 18 months. Recently, I only started getting 12 hours a week (over 4 months so about) but it's been in resource classes with only one or two students at a time, so that doesn't count, does it? The chances of me getting English classes next year, I'd say, are nil....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/latest-news/newly-qualified-teachers-induction-requirement-for-registration.1352.html[/QUOTE]

Sorry deltabravo but this sound to me like anyone finishing up their PQE.... "In addition, other teachers who apply for registration from 02 July 2012 under Regulation 2 (primary), Regulation 3 (Montessori and other categories) and Regulation 4 (post-primary including VECs) are required to complete the induction workshop programme provided that they have not previously:

So when I reapply in June I wont have finished my PQE and I will have to so this nonsense. Thats time that I could spend doing CPD courses or looking for jobs. Thats actually ridiculous... any word on what these 12 workshops will be bout???

Probably another waste of time, just like the dip lectures are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Yes Lestat that is the way I read it as well. If you don't have the hours completed before 2nd July 2012 then you have to follow the new route.

I'd worry they'd carry out the threat to squeeze yet more money out of us :(

Tbh, this has me worried. I was unemployed for 18 months. Recently, I only started getting 12 hours a week (over 4 months so about) but it's been in resource classes with only one or two students at a time, so that doesn't count, does it? The chances of me getting English classes next year, I'd say, are nil....

Rite you need to approach the principal and ask if theyll sign off on your hours if you put down that you had at least 8 students in the class (i think)... Most management realise the the TC guidelines are **** and resource teaching is as hard if not harder than mainstream classes!!!

And if the Teaching council tries to get me to pay for this crap, no chance... maybe this is them trying to put your 90euro to good use....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You won't have to re-submit paperwork/transcripts etc. If you're happy to send them 90 quid a year each year until you're teaching again.....

What is the teaching council for, just out of interest? I mean, I'm registered and all, but what is it actually for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I mean, I'm registered and all, but what is it actually for?

TC is useless quango trying to justify its existence.

Stated purpose: to weed out unqualified teachers.

In practice: Unqualified teachers still teaching away where as genuine teachers are jumping through pointless hoops to get recognized.

Advertisement