Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best scones (cafe etc) in Cork city?

Options
  • 27-05-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭

Who doesn't like a decent scone?

Any nominations guys? Prices appreciated if known. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Surprisingly UCC has really nice scones. I think it was around €2.50/3 for a tea or crappy coffee and a scone. This was in the main rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭shell42970

My husband and I just had fantastic scones last week at the Weir Bar in the River Lee Hotel, on the Western Road.
    I'd vote those as by far the best I've had in the 5 years I've been in Cork.
    Not sure of the price, as they were part of a larger meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Fellini's is great for coffee & scones. They whip us fresh cream too and coffee is lovely. A nice place to hang out with the paper too for awhile with it's high ceilings and art on the walls.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Brew on paul street. AMAZING rasberry scones, but you ahve to be quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Tree wrote: »
    Brew on paul street. AMAZING rasberry scones, but you ahve to be quick.
    Idaho Maylor st gets my vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I like the old fashioned hard type scone and have found the only places to be worth buying from are the joup place by our lady of lourdes school in ballinlough and the cafe on the well road.

99% of scones are woeful.

Idaho Maylor st gets my vote

Really like Idaho too but never had their scones.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Excellent thread. I'm mad for a scone now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Wildways on Princes Street. Two small scones is a portion, and they're really buttery and light and lovely. They have the yellow colour that indicates real butter was used, and all the ingredients are organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Great responses folks.

I'm certainly going to check out the scones in these places.

A great scone with good coffee is completely under-rated in the pleasure and contentment it can bring to one's day :)

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Wildways on Princes Street. Two small scones is a portion, and they're really buttery and light and lovely. They have the yellow colour that indicates real butter was used, and all the ingredients are organic.

And Wildways is really bright and airy which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The best (by far) are the ones they sell in the ABC bakery int he English Market, they don't make them, some other person does, but they sell them for him.

They don't get better than those ones really (imo).

Faith wrote: »

Hi Faith,

I've seen that place alright and have been meaning to go in there so it's now on my list!

Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not a cafe (pity) but Cinnamon Cottage in Rochestown do my favourite scones ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Loire wrote: »
    Fellini's is great for coffee & scones. They whip us fresh cream too and coffee is lovely. A nice place to hang out with the paper too for awhile with it's high ceilings and art on the walls.
    Where's this ?
    Latitude has nice scones,been meaning to check out the newish cafe on the corner of South Mall/Pembroke St.

Hi Gamb!t,

Carey's Lane (Patricks St end). Love the place.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

issacs on mccurtain st. always seem to be fresh out of the oven and its lovely to sit out by the waterfall

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

Healys have a stall in the English market and their scones are really nice - takeaway only. They're located just inside the door on the Grand Parade side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

The Crawford Café, no contest, imo of course.

I think the conclusion we can come to from this thread is that scones are lovely.

• Advertisement

Loire wrote: »
    Hi Gamb!t,

Carey's Lane (Patricks St end). Love the place.

Loire.
    Thanks

I tried the scones in Fellini's yesterday. Nice and crumbly. Ideally I would have liked it a little larger. I like large scones that are almost a meal in themselves :) Cream and jam was lovely. €5 for scone and an americano.

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I think the conclusion we can come to from this thread is that scones are lovely.

... but some scones are more lovely than others :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

The ones from the old lady in front of the bakery in the English market are quite good I must say and cheap at 1€ for 4 (or at least she used to sell them at that price)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Not in Cork City, but if you're ever in Bantry you've gotta try the Bantry Bay hotel scones!

The landlady does all the cooking. And her scones? Mamma Mia! :D Loads of butter, cream and jam. Scones like diddymen. Coffee and tea's not bad either (think it's Bewley's).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lazarus Malrax

Coffee Station on the Western Road has lovely scones. Crispy on the outside and sweet on the inside. Nice big portions. And if you want a real treat - i.e expensive - try Hayfield Manor scones... small, sweet, warm and lovely cream and jam...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭sporina

personally i prefer wholemeal scones! anyone else?

i always find that white scones leave my mouth feeling dry/tart!! I guess thats due to the baking powder…

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

sporina wrote: »
    personally i prefer wholemeal scones! anyone else?

i always find that white scones leave my mouth feeling dry/tart!! I guess thats due to the baking powder…

That's the sign of a really bad scone, IMO. I get that with mass-produced scones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The Woodford has good scones. Just get cream instead of butter!

• Advertisement

Thought the Fellini scones were a bit disappointing,nice but were missing the "it".
    Got some scones in the Spar in Douglas St,they look promising :p

Advertisement