Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating firmware on Zyxel modem

Options
  • 27-05-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hey guys

I've attempted to update the firmware found at http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/ onto my modem both through http://192.168.1.254 on Firefox and Chromiun on Ubuntu and through FTP.

Through several attempts through both methods, the modem will not update for me

Could you please provide an explanation for this please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

dragon5678 wrote: »
    Hey guys

I've attempted to update the firmware found at http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/ onto my modem both through http://192.168.1.254 on Firefox and Chromiun on Ubuntu and through FTP.

Through several attempts through both methods, the modem will not update for me

Could you please provide an explanation for this please

Hi dragon5678,

What service are you looking to access by upgrading the firmware on the Zyxel?

Can you PM me with your eircom telephone number and e-mail address as well please.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭dragon5678

Hi dragon5678,

What service are you looking to access by upgrading the firmware on the Zyxel?

Can you PM me with your eircom telephone number and e-mail address as well please.

Thanks, Mark

just PMed u there mark :)

just PMed u there mark :)

Hi dragon5678,

I got your PM with the details thanks. Everything in terms of connection and speed are testing fine to the main socket. However there does seem to be modem / set up issue affecting the wifi.

However it is not necessarily a firmware issue based on the results.

Support asked if you could call them directly on 1890 260 260 to run a few real time checks.

Can you let me know the call goes.

Thanks, Mark

Hi dragon5678,

I got your PM with the details thanks. Everything in terms of connection and speed are testing fine to the main socket. However there does seem to be modem / set up issue affecting the wifi.

However it is not necessarily a firmware issue based on the results.

Support asked if you could call them directly on 1890 260 260 to run a few real time checks.

Can you let me know the call goes.

Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark

There doesnt seem to be an issue at this end with wifi. I was told before that there is an intermittent sync problem with the connection.

I currently have the modem connected to the master phone socket (which i assume is the socket in my sitting room by the tv as there is no socket in the hallway and the other 3 are in the two bedrooms and kitched which is in the same room as the sitting room.) directly with no filter. I do, however, have a normal port splitter to connect the phone to as it is not possible to connect it to another port in the apartment.

All seems well at the moment but it confuses me why a filter is needed if it causes more problems with intermittent sync than connecting the modem directly to the phone line directly

Thanks

dragon5678

Hey Mark

There doesnt seem to be an issue at this end with wifi. I was told before that there is an intermittent sync problem with the connection.

I currently have the modem connected to the master phone socket (which i assume is the socket in my sitting room by the tv as there is no socket in the hallway and the other 3 are in the two bedrooms and kitched which is in the same room as the sitting room.) directly with no filter. I do, however, have a normal port splitter to connect the phone to as it is not possible to connect it to another port in the apartment.

All seems well at the moment but it confuses me why a filter is needed if it causes more problems with intermittent sync than connecting the modem directly to the phone line directly

Thanks

dragon5678

Hi dragon5678,

Thanks for running through the checklist, glad to hear there has been an improvement.

The splitter is needed to insure the broadband and phone service can be used in conjunction with each other.

If you don't use the phone service at all? then you are best off connecting directly into the socket.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi dragon5678,

Thanks for running through the checklist, glad to hear there has been an improvement.

The splitter is needed to insure the broadband and phone service can be used in conjunction with each other.

If you don't use the phone service at all? then you are best off connecting directly into the socket.

Thanks, Mark

Hey Mark

We do use the phone rarely but we do still use it. I was thinking about putting the phone only filter on one end of the splitter and the modem into the other end of the splitter.

Should this work?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Hey Mark

We do use the phone rarely but we do still use it. I was thinking about putting the phone only filter on one end of the splitter and the modem into the other end of the splitter.

Should this work?

Thanks

Thanks dragon567d,

The ADSL filter (single socket) should ONLY be used to connect your phone to a (Secondary) extension phone socket .The filters help to reduce noise and interference on the broadband line. They should not be used on the master phone socket (main drop point - mdp).

connect_filter.jpg

The ADSL splitter (double socket) allows the user to connect their modem, as well as their phone, into the main phone socket (mdp). The splitter divides the higher broadband frequencies from the lower voice frequencies, and allows you to use both broadband and phone at the same time.

connect_splitter.jpg

Please see our quick broadband checklist on the eircom Community Forum. This should help you troubleshoot a broadband issue or with your initial broadband setup.

Community.eircom.net

The standard broadband setup - Modem is connected to the Main phone socket (mdp) with the ADSL two-port splitter. This allows the user the option to connect a phone on the mdp also.

connect_splitter.jpg

If you need technical assistance with your broadband setup please contact :

Broadband Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, in case you need to follow this up again.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement