Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence letter for previous tenant

Options
  • 27-05-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Hope this is the right thread,

Moved into a new apartment a few months ago. Got 3 letters to date for the previous tenant regarding tv licence, I didn't open them but noticed on the envelope that they are from An Post TV Licence services.
    So, I am just forwarding these on to the previous tenant to her new address along with her other mail. As the letters are not addressed to me am I still liable for the charge??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

you're ok as long as you have a valid tv licence for your tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I'm only here a few months so never purchased a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

K.C wrote: »
    wmpdd3 wrote: »

Then you're not OK, and should get your own licence--assuming you have equipment capable of receiving a TV signal, and don't have a legal excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BeautyFromPain

not a valid excuse, sorry :)

not a valid excuse, sorry :)

Not making excuses

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BeautyFromPain

Not making excuses

sorry, 'explanation' then.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

pop in to the post office and buy a license in your name and forget about the previous 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The previous tenant probably signed up for sky at some point. You're not liable for anything. If they come round and you anwer the door just tell them that:
    1. You just moved in.
    2. You don't have a TV or similar equipment.

(Whichever is true)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The previous tenant probably signed up for sky at some point. You're not liable for anything. If they come round and you anwer the door just tell them that:
    1. You just moved in.
    2. You don't have a TV or similar equipment.

(Whichever is true)

Sky letters don't have An Post TV Licence services marked on them.
    The letters are about the TV licence. If you have a TV set and you can't produce a licence then, as occupier, you're very very much liable for the TV licence and any prosecution An Post bring against you.

Point #1 is not a valid reason either (even if true). Even if you've just moved in you still need a TV licence if you've got a TV set. You can buy them easily enough in a post office or online so there's no real justification for not having one before you move in.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »

What I mean is that this is why they are sending letters.

If you need a licence get it sorted asap. In the meantime if you get a knock on the door tell them that you just moved in. If they don't come to your door you don't need to do anything about it.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The letters are about the TV licence. If you have a TV set and you can't produce a licence then, as occupier, you're very very much liable for the TV licence and any prosecution An Post bring against you.

Point #1 is not a valid reason either (even if true). Even if you've just moved in you still need a TV licence if you've got a TV set. You can buy them easily enough in a post office or online so there's no real justification for not having one before you move in.

I moved in 2 months ago and will be leaving in another 2 months. Just don't want to pay an annual TV licence for only 4 months.

I moved in 2 months ago and will be leaving in another 2 months. Just don't want to pay an annual TV licence for only 4 months.
    That's up to you but despite what you want you're still liable if you've got a TV. Don't be surprised if an inspector comes knocking on your door especially since their correspondence is going unanswered. It's likely one of those envelopes contains a statutory declaration which must be replied to or else proceedings ensue. While the letters may not be addressed to you that won't stop an inspector coming to find out what's going on and taking an interest in your status.
    Did you know you can transfer a TV licence to your new residence?

When they knocked on my door they gave me 30 days to get one. I was moving out in 2 months and they never arrived. I thought the Landlord had paid it and I was moving up north so didn't pay it.

(wrong but I was a student so :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

You can transfer the licence to another address when you move if that's any good to you. If you're moving somewhere that already has a licence then I'd probably go without for the two months, but understand that there's no grey area in the law here: legally you are required to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Is it the landlord or the tenants responsibility to pay for a tv license?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭gerarda

ajjmk wrote: »

Tenant

ajjmk wrote: »
    All persons (usually the tenants) who have use of the TV set are responsible for ensuring it's licensed. They can agree among themselves who pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

What if i move into an apartment and the landlord has provided me with a TV.... seeing as they own/bought the TV should they not pay the license?

What if there is no mention in the lease of who is to pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

phunkymonk wrote: »
    What if i move into an apartment and the landlord has provided me with a TV.... seeing as they own/bought the TV should they not pay the license?

If there's no mention then it's yours. Once there's a TV in the house, no matter how it got there, the person living living there has to have a licence.

If you don't want to, I'd hand back the TV to the landlord.

• Advertisement

phunkymonk wrote: »

+1 BrianD
    The law doesn't care who pays for the license but it will hold you responsible if an inspector finds that it's not licensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pretty sure that you can bring the TV license to your new house.

the_syco wrote: »
    Pretty sure that you can bring the TV license to your new house.
    You can indeed, just use the website https://www.tvlicence.ie/Homepage.aspx (which I linked to in post #11) to change your details.

Advertisement