Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Kevins Way - short report

Options
  • 27-05-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭

We did this over the weekend, I've been meaning to do it for some time and as it was promised warm and no haze so we went for it!

27 km approx from Hollywood to Glendalough. We took the Dublin Bus 65 (€4.10) to Ballymore Eustace and walked from there which added another 5 km. We arrived a bit too late for the St Kevins Bus from Glendalough but a taxi shared by 4 to the Luas in Carrickmines was €50 as opposed to 4 x €13 on the bus.

The way is very quiet apart from ca 1.8 km that has to be walked along the main R756 road, the bit from Ballymore to the N81 was busyish but cars slowed down when they saw us which is nice. So here goes, distances are approx. as I had no GPS:

-5km: Ballymore Eustace, a number of grocery shops open at 9.15 on a Saturday morning to get provisions, 3.2km along a busyish narrow road to the N81, after this 1.8km along a quiet road to Hollywood.

0km : Hollywood, pub, no idea if theres a shop, way starts beside the map just after the P.O. Dirt tractor track, probably muddy after rain for 1.2km , then very quiet country road for 3.3km which is very steep in spots.

4.5km: walk along busy R756 for 1.8km, cars travelling at speed though most of it is straight.

6.3km: Way branches off along very very quiet road which is a cul de sac, goes through rolling country, very scenic. After a bridge with metal railings the rpad is blocked by a gate which looks like it's going into a farmyard, go through this and you'll see the way continuing. Route goes through forest and along a river, nice spot for a picnic.

13.8km: arrive at the R756 again, turn left for 500m, cross the road, then right into a forest climbing up into the forest walking parallel to the road.

15.3km: cross the R756, there is a path for a couple of hundred metres beneath the road on the right, then turn right off the road. Path leads through soft ground, some of which is covered by plastic mats, goes uphill into forest, some streams to be crossed, one of which has no bridge but we easily forded it, though the water level was very low.

17.3km: reach the R756 again, walk parallel to it a few metres away from the road on a path for 1km, until you reach the Wicklow Gap car park, the highest point on the route, go through the car park and you'll find the path again.

21km: Back onto the R756 for a short distance, there is plenty of room on the side to stay away from the heavy traffic. After a few hundred metres the path goes off to the right through the old lead mine works and buildings then down steps made from rock and sleepers for about 1km. The last 4 km are along the valley floor beside the river.

26km: Glendalough; hotel, burger van, tourists galore and a cold pint in the somewhat shabby Glendalough Hotel. The bus leaves from in front of the visitors centre.

Total time was just over 7 hours from Hollywood, this included two 30-40 minute breaks and a couple of shorter ones. Ballymore to Hollywood was another hour.

The Good: great views when there is no haze, very few people en route, we met 3 altogether until we reached the Wicklow Gap. Well signposted overall. Plenty of space to stop and picnic etc. For the most part either off road or on very quiet country lanes.

The not so good; Transport can be an issue, no refreshments en route so take all you need. The route is surprisingly exposed, we did it in very hot sunshine (25c) and a hat and cream is necessary, not that much of it is in covered forest. The road signs are plain annoying, on the way into Hollywood there is a sign saying Glendalough 22km, a few metres further it says Glendalough 25km, you walk a few km and another says Glendalough 25km!!! WTF! :rolleyes:

Footwear: I did it in trainers, I had my Meindls in my bag but never took them out and chanced it in the wet, boggy areas. I should point out that was after a week of very dry sunny weather and normally boots would be necessary if not obligatory, some of it can be a real quagmire in wet weather.

Transport: Dublin Bus go to Ballymore Eustace and Blessington. You can also take the bus to Ballyknockan and do the Valleymount spur. We took the 8.00 from the city centre but were under time pressure to get to Glendalough by the last bus at 17.40. You might be better getting the 5.40 or 7.00 to Blessington and taking a taxi for the 10km to Hollywood from there.

I find it bizarre that Bus Eireann don't do a stop or a summer stop at least at the cross on the N81 near Hollywood (Emo petrol station) to encourage walkers.

St Kevins Bus leaves Glendalough at 17.40 (16.40 in winter), it's €13 one way. Only alternative is then hitching or a Taxi to Brides Glen Luas stop or further in to town (€40-45 depnding on haggling)

Variations: There is a spur from Valleymount which is a bit shorter than the one just mentioned. A shorter version would be from the junction on the R756 with the L8350 (KM 6.3 in description) which leaves 20km to Glendalough, a handy one if you have 2 cars.

StKevinsWayMay26th2012034.jpg

StKevinsWayMay26th2012023.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Excellent report bijapos and IMO a unknown Gem of a walk in Wicklow. I've never done the complete walk but have been on and off the "way" on other routes many times.

Fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Thanks for this report. I did the trip from Valleymount last summer, taking the 5.30am 65 bus to Ballyknockan. The Valleymount spur is almost entirely on road, but they are quiet (at least at that time of the morning), except for a short stretch through (overgrown) forest close to the point where it joins the main route from Hollywood.

I've been meaning to do the trail from Hollywood this year but the news that two of the bridges along the trail were swept away in last October's floods has put me off a bit.
    bijapos wrote: »
    We arrived a bit too late for the St Kevins Bus from Glendalough but a taxi shared by 4 to the Luas in Carrickmines was €50 as opposed to 4 x €13 on the bus.
    I presume a lower taxi fare would be possible if you took the cab only as far as Kilmacanogue and got the 145 bus from there.
    6.3km: Way branches off along very very quiet road which is a cul de sac, goes through rolling country, very scenic. After a bridge with metal railings the rpad is blocked by a gate which looks like it's going into a farmyard, go through this and you'll see the way continuing. Route goes through forest and along a river, nice spot for a picnic.
    By my reckoning, the section along the river, around 12.5km, is where the first bridge was washed away; did you have any problems crossing the river?
    15.3km: cross the R756, there is a path for a couple of hundred metres beneath the road on the right, then turn right off the road. Path leads through soft ground, some of which is covered by plastic mats, goes uphill into forest, some streams to be crossed, one of which has no bridge but we easily forded it, though the water level was very low.
    This is where the second bridge went. Good to hear you can get across the water.
    I find it bizarre that Bus Eireann don't do a stop or a summer stop at least at the cross on the N81 near Hollywood (Emo petrol station) to encourage walkers.
    +1 Why is it they never think of these things when planning these routes?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm intrigued by the description of the Glendalough Hotel as 'shabby'!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Judge wrote: »
    By my reckoning, the section along the river, around 12.5km, is where the first bridge was washed away; did you have any problems crossing the river?

This is where the second bridge went. Good to hear you can get across the water.
    Per Coillte "Coming from Hollywood, the first bridge that is closed is the
    Knocknadroose bridge (grid ref. O 021 014), the water has also washed
    away the stepping stones that used to cross the brook. The second
    bridge closed (grid ref. O 053 016) is close to St. Kevin’s pool just
    south west of Annalecka Bridge."

I was down here recently (before the good weather). The second bridge at St Kevins pool is easy enough to cross - it's too wide to jump, but only requires hopping onto one slippy rock at whatever crossing point you choose.

The first bridge/river I'm not so sure about. We didn't cross it but it was at least ankle deep and a few metres wide. It looked straightforward enough (you'll get wet feet), but I wouldn't want to rely on being able to cross it if the weather was any way wet in the days leading up to it.

To avoid the wider river, you could perhaps start the Kevins way at Balinagee bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

I've been meaning to do the trail from Hollywood this year but the news that two of the bridges along the trail were swept away in last October's floods has put me off a bit.

Neither of them were a problem, plenty of large stones to skip across, BUT there had been no rainfall for a week or so and I've no idea how fast or swollen they are after rainfall. There is a farm beside the first bridge coming from Hollywood, maybe they can give directions to a good crossing point up or downstream. I think you should reckon with getting your boots and trousers off and take a towel to dry your feet.

I presume a lower taxi fare would be possible if you took the cab only as far as Kilmacanogue and got the 145 bus from there.

Yes, but we wanted to get back to watch the Eurovision !:o

Alun wrote: »

Just our impressions, untidy, toilets were dirty, bar staff unfriendly, and they were playing rap and techno videos on the TV which is a no-no for any place like it. I'm willing to accept that we got them on an off day but it didn't make a good impression and I've been there a few times before.

The two pics below show the washed away bridge near St Kevins Pool and the place where we crossed.

StKevinsWayMay26th2012042.jpg

StKevinsWayMay26th2012041.jpg

• Advertisement

Just our impressions, untidy, toilets were dirty, bar staff unfriendly, and they were playing rap and techno videos on the TV which is a no-no for any place like it. I'm willing to accept that we got them on an off day but it didn't make a good impression and I've been there a few times before.
    Sounds like you were in the bar section rather than the lounge (which has no TV), which is where we always go after a walk if we're in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Judge

Neither of them were a problem, plenty of large stones to skip across, BUT there had been no rainfall for a week or so and I've no idea how fast or swollen they are after rainfall. There is a farm beside the first bridge coming from Hollywood, maybe they can give directions to a good crossing point up or downstream. I think you should reckon with getting your boots and trousers off and take a towel to dry your feet.
    Thanks. With a bit of luck, I might be able to head down that way as early as next week; hopefully the weather holds up until then. I'm glad someone has done this recently; examining the EastWest map, there seems to be no alternative route if the river is impassable bar retracing steps all the way back to the R756.

It is rather worrying that more than six months after the floods and no work has been done on fixing the bridges. I suppose it reflects lack of usage, which, as discussed, is mainly due to the difficulties in getting to the trail head, but I worry they might just be going to let the trail lapse into disrepair. Is it still under the control of the Heritage Council, which IIRC is facing the axe in the coming months?
    I think "shabby" is a perfectly fair review of the Glendalough Hotel, which trades mainly on its location and little else. Although, in fairness, they do pretty decent pub grub. I suppose we should be grateful it wasn't snapped up by some Celtic Tiger developer with the intention of turning into some five-star mega-monstrosity as it would otherwise presumably be a NAMA zombie by now.

Thanks. With a bit of luck, I might be able to head down that way as early as next week; hopefully the weather holds up until then. I'm glad someone has done this recently; examining the EastWest map, there seems to be no alternative route if the river is impassable bar retracing steps all the way back to the R756.
    Yes, that's the only way really. I investigated trying to get back up to the road directly by following the course of the river, but it was impassable.
    It is rather worrying that more than six months after the floods and no work has been done on fixing the bridges. I suppose it reflects lack of usage, which, as discussed, is mainly due to the difficulties in getting to the trail head, but I worry they might just be going to let the trail lapse into disrepair.
    Yes, that bridge has been sitting on the bank there for some time now, certainly since January when I was along there last. I was under the impression it had been deliberately moved there as there were loads of what looked like track marks on the trail leading up to it. It's quite a way away from the river itself and doesn't look like it landed there of it's own accord, so I assume there must be access of some sort for tracked vehicles to effect a repair of some sort. They reinstated the bridges on the Wicklow Way reasonably quickly, so I can't see why they shouldn't do the same here, but like you say, it all boils down to money.
    I think "shabby" is a perfectly fair review of the Glendalough Hotel, which trades mainly on its location and little else. Although, in fairness, they do pretty decent pub grub.
    OK, we'll have to agree to differ then. I don't think it's any less 'shabby' than, say Lynhams, and in contrast to that establishment I've always found the staff courteous and helpful. If you want 'shabby' there are plenty of alternatives I can suggest ... the Bray Head Hotel for a start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

They reinstated the bridges on the Wicklow Way reasonably quickly, so I can't see why they shouldn't do the same here, but like you say, it all boils down to money.

The Wicklow Way bridges were repaired by the Wicklow Way partnership, with most of the labour being volunteers from Mountain Meitheal. There's some Heritage body responsible for St. Kevins Way, so who knows what they're up to.

Donny5 wrote: »
    The Wicklow Way bridges were repaired by the Wicklow Way partnership, with most of the labour being volunteers from Mountain Meitheal. There's some Heritage body responsible for St. Kevins Way, so who knows what they're up to.
    Ah, I assumed it would be the same people responsible for both, thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Markoo

Yes i just come on here to post on todays trip we did. we got going at 6:10 AM on the Hollywood side and run all the way on the road we never went off anywhere else just staying on the road the whole time we was running for fun and are not serious runners it took us 3 hours to do on the way we only seen afew cars at first around 5 or so but they was speeding, on till an hour or so as time went on we seen more cars but as it was later after 7 AM the drivers new people could be about and it was more safe.

The run is the best we done and is very hard in parts we was running so we never took time to go of road as we did not want to walk any part of the run before we done the run we looked up this thread for info etc all in all this is a must do for people who like to run outdoors and the fact we did not know about this St Kevin's Way Wicklow Gap on till we seen it on Boards is why i am doing this small post so yes get on this run and enjoy yourself it is top top place to go running.
    Best regards Marko.

Advertisement