Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about moving to Australia!

Options
  • 27-05-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am a recent arts graduate and I want to move over to Australia for at least a year, possibly more, but I am confused as to how to go about it. I want to move to Perth WA for personal reasons but I don't know what sort of visa I need, they all seem to talk about casual or temporary work but I would want full time to be able to live. I am interested in teaching and I have heard that there are jobs teaching english as a foreign language there, but I don't know true that is and can't find much information about it.
    I am just generally confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

Marbag wrote: »
    I am a recent arts graduate and I want to move over to Australia for at least a year, possibly more, but I am confused as to how to go about it. I want to move to Perth WA for personal reasons but I don't know what sort of visa I need, they all seem to talk about casual or temporary work but I would want full time to be able to live. I am interested in teaching and I have heard that there are jobs teaching english as a foreign language there, but I don't know true that is and can't find much information about it.

I don't know anything about getting a visa for working in Australia but here's a website you can check out http://www.usit.ie/work-abroad/australia/skilled-migration-visa
    Couple of things are explained there.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Your starting point would be a Working holiday visa subclass 417. You need to be aged 18-30. It allows you to work in Australia for 1 year. And work for any one employer for a maximum of 6 months.

Should take about 24 hours to be granted after applying for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marbag

Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smile it confuses people

Thanks guys! :)
    Hey! I am heading to Perth in August and have just sorted everything so I'll tell you all I sorted, where, and how much :)

First I got my working holiday visa it cost €210 got it from here http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday

Then I got my flights with usit it cost 1070 for a return flight (you can change the return date and I liked the security of having a way home if anything were to happen and not worrying about booking a flight) with sky scanner you can see flights and prices cheapest 1 way I found was 611

Insurance I got with multitrip for 130 the recipricoal medical agreement with Australia and ireland means if you have an accident or are sick your covered but it's best to have extra insurance just in case

I applied or my bank acount with westpac my friend lives in Perth and said they are everywhere around there....

I am applying for tax file number on arrival and getting my Irish phone unblocked

Job wise seek.com.au and gumtree.com.au are the best and also the Perth local newspaper advertises lots!

Oh to work with children you need a chest X-ray and Garda clearance- best to get that done ASAP

Anyway I hope this helps and if you would like a travel buddy I'm heading off the 23rd august

Goodluck with everything :)

@Smile it confuses people. Hey thanks for all the info, I have been looking at usit working holiday visas because the include the tax file number, insurance, bank acc, aussie sim etc in the package. I am going to Perth because my boyfriend is from there, we met while he was travelling and hit it off so I'm going there to see what happens between us, and I will probably try extend it to a second year. My plan is to head out in January or Feb, when I have the funds sorted to go. I'm not a hundred percent sure if I want to work with kids there but do you reckon I should get the clearance and xray sorted anyway just incase? Are you just going for a year to travel or you thinking long term?

• Advertisement

@Smile it confuses people. Hey thanks for all the info, I have been looking at usit working holiday visas because the include the tax file number, insurance, bank acc, aussie sim etc in the package. I am going to Perth because my boyfriend is from there, we met while he was travelling and hit it off so I'm going there to see what happens between us, and I will probably try extend it to a second year. My plan is to head out in January or Feb, when I have the funds sorted to go. I'm not a hundred percent sure if I want to work with kids there but do you reckon I should get the clearance and xray sorted anyway just incase? Are you just going for a year to travel or you thinking long term?

I wouldn't go with USIT. The visa is simple to get. The sim card will be with Vodafone or some1 equally useless. I just threw mine in the bin.
    You cant open your bank account fully till you arrive anyway. So your paying them to tell you what 1 to walk into.
    Insurance is overpriced, and your Tax file number can only be given once you arrive in Australia. So no reason why you should just get that yourself.

Get your clearance if there's even a chance you need it. Give yourself every opportunity to find work!

Hi! Defineatly get them anyway! Its no harm to have them there just in case and to get an X-ray over there would cost a bomb.. I understand usit is so easy to go with because everything is done for you but as it was said they do charge you for Things that don't cost anything but my ex went with them and everything was sorted for him where as I will have to do more sorting when I get over...my ex is in Perth so I'm heading over to him and kind of plan it being a long term thing..with the great wages we actually have a chance out there he was snapped up for driving in the outback and is currently on $3000 per week after tax and I have work
    Lined up where I'll be on around 1500 per week so with wages like this I would like too stay long term...
    My friend Who is over there just got citizenship and his girlfriend can now stay with him so that's pretty cool to know!
    O it was said above travel insurance is over priced but I couldn't disagree more I got mine for 120 which includes cover for late or missed flights and baggage loss which my poor cousin experienced when he got to Brisbane last year he had no bag for 3 weeks! (I would cry like a baby if this happened!) it also has cover for
    Legal fees and if there is An emergency
    And does dental emergencys which the reciprocal thing doesn't cover so defo worth 120!
    Are u excited or nervous about going?? Its pretty cool that someone else is doing it for love ( as cheesy as that sounds)

Ok so you guys reckon stay away from USIT! Thanks for the heads up! @smile it confuses people, I'm guessing you have proper work lined up that is willing to sponsor you to stay? My plan was to see how I get on there and then do the regional work to get a second whv then apply for the defacto visa and get my boyfriend to sponsor me. Not looking forward to the regional work ha! I am both nervous and incredibly excited to go!! Its a big step and I'm 22 so still young, but yes I'm doing it for love, we may aswell! If I could go now I would but I'm still saving. I think I will do it the way you did instead of USIT, probably work out cheaper. Thanks for the help! You never know we may cross paths in Perth! :)

Ok so you guys reckon stay away from USIT! Thanks for the heads up! @smile it confuses people, I'm guessing you have proper work lined up that is willing to sponsor you to stay? My plan was to see how I get on there and then do the regional work to get a second whv then apply for the defacto visa and get my boyfriend to sponsor me. Not looking forward to the regional work ha! I am both nervous and incredibly excited to go!! Its a big step and I'm 22 so still young, but yes I'm doing it for love, we may aswell! If I could go now I would but I'm still saving. I think I will do it the way you did instead of USIT, probably work out cheaper. Thanks for the help! You never know we may cross paths in Perth! :)

I'm 21 the work iv got is dog grooming but I'm still going to have. To do regional so that will be pretty hard to get! Will defineatly work out cheaper! Keep me updated on how ur gettin on n best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Grabber

Hi guys not sure if this is the appropriate place for this post but here goes...
    Me and a buddy are travelling to Melbourne on a year long working holiday visa, we're hoping to get the regional work out of the way at the start with a view to getting our 2nd year visa.
    I, simliar to the above won't be using Usit, my mains questions (sorry if already answers) what/where can i find the appropriate/cheapest travel insurance??
    Would it be best to book single or return flights??? I notice you can only book return flights for 10 months was wondering does it cost much to push the flights back by 2 months???
    Cheers for the advice!!!

• Advertisement

There's a recent thread here.. probably page 2, some1 listed 4/5 insurance companies. backpackerinsurance was one site.

I wouldn't bother with a return if your not gonna use it soon, I don't know how much it is to change the date, but sure who know's where your gonna be in a year.. If you leave Melbourne for any reason its not gonna be cheap to get back to it just to catch a flight out of Australia.

A flight from Perth to Melbourne when i looked at easter was over AUD$600 for example, and it wouldnt be much cheaper to drive after buying petrol.

Is it really hard to get the regional work? I havent really looked into it!

Advertisement