Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

Adyx wrote: »
    B08 is available OTA if you're currently on B07. It worked fine for me.

keredern, check to make sure your SD card is set as default instead of internal storage. Other than that I don't know. InfusG300 sounds right but I can't remember what my device was listed as. If that doesn't work, you could just download and flash it manually as jgbyr said. Even using the OTA method all the usual wipes are necessary so you'd have to backup your apps and data anyway.

Thanks for that mate!

Not overly techie but did manage to root & install Fusion in the first place so will try the manual route so!

What's weird is that it was downloading two previous times but I cancelled out of them because I hadn't backed up!

I wonder did that somehow mess it up?? :confused:

Adyx wrote: »
    B08 is available OTA if you're currently on B07. It worked fine for me.

keredern, check to make sure your SD card is set as default instead of internal storage. Other than that I don't know. InfusG300 sounds right but I can't remember what my device was listed as. If that doesn't work, you could just download and flash it manually as jgbyr said. Even using the OTA method all the usual wipes are necessary so you'd have to backup your apps and data anyway.

Could someone post a link to B08 that I can download manually?

I can't find it!!! :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

keredern wrote: »
    Could someone post a link to B08 that I can download manually?

I can't find it!!! :o:o

It's on the first page in the first post. You have to click on one off the listts of instructions.

jgbyr wrote: »
    It's on the first page in the first post. You have to click on one off the listts of instructions.

Oh jeeze, ya'd know I am a techie thick...was looking for a new download, had'nt realised the 'old' one was updated!! D'oh!!! :P

Now you know why I have Odie as my Avatar!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Anybody know if the Ascend has Flash Player pre-installed? I know Adobe are pulling out and its not available as an App anymore but if it's already on the phone it should be ok for a few months anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Anybody know if the Ascend has Flash Player pre-installed? I know Adobe are pulling out and its not available as an App anymore but if it's already on the phone it should be ok for a few months anyway.
    I don't think so (actually I don't remember) but you can always just google for the flash apk and install it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I recommended this phone to a friend. He wants to unlock it but not to root it. If he unlocks it will he be able to update it?

He doesn't want to mess around with Roms and all that. Just wants it unlocked to work on Tesco mobile, but still able to update it and update the apps and download apps with impunity.

He's big into gaming and is worried that he won't be able to upgrade the phone to Jelly Baby and Ice Cream Burrito.

Is there any reason he wouldn't be able to use Gingerbread indefinitely and play the games that he already knows worked on his Galaxy Ace (aside from issues with RAM and processing power)?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mine is unlocked but not rooted. Vodafone updates work fine. That said they arent great i was thinking of rooting mine soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭positron

.. to upgrade the phone to Jelly Baby and Ice Cream Burrito.

:D:D:D Good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Unlocking will allow it to be used on any network and not just Vodafone. Try a non Vodafone SIM in it first in case it's already unlocked. I doubt that it is but have seen anecdotal reports of some Vodafone (maybe UK or other non Ireland) G300s being already unlocked.

For what it's worth I've bought unlock codes for a couple of Huawei (Vodafone Smart/U8160 and Ascend G300) from korter_gsm on eBay for about €6. However I've seen recently that it may be possible to unlock for free BUT I CANNOT VOUCH FOR THIS:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/358599-how-to-free-sim-unlock-your-g300/

Rooting allows more control over the phone for certain apps, operations or for installing custom ROMs etc. If your friend wants to stick with the stock Vodafone Gingerbread ROM (or update to stock Vodafone ICS) then there is no need to root.

There should be no reason that he cannot stick on the Gingerbread stock Vodafone ROM installed when he buys it - just don't update! ;)

• Advertisement

TM wrote: »
    Unlocking will allow it to be used on any network and not just Vodafone.

Rooting allows more control over the phone for certain apps, operations or for installing custom ROMs etc. If your friend wants to stick with the stock Vodafone Gingerbread ROM (or update to stock Vodafone ICS) then there is no need to root.

There should be no reason that he cannot stick on the Gingerbread stock Vodafone ROM installed when he buys it - just don't update! ;)

How can he go to stock Vodafone ICS if he's on Tesco mobile? Will he be able to connect the phone to his computer and go to ICS once he has it unlocked to Tesco mobile, or Sim free rather?

I guess with an iPhone if it is jail broken, you can't go to iOS 12 or whatever, this problem doesn't exist with Android?

If he sticks with the Gingerbread man, all things being equal, will he still be able to use the phone in 3 years?

The question boils down to this: if yer man buys this phone goes to your friendly local Chinese run mobile phone establishment in Cork city centre and gets it unlocked so it is Sim free, he'll be able to download any app he wants, upgrade to I've cream burrito in due course, etc., etc.

Unlocking an Android phone is nothing like jail breaking an i Phone? This is all down to Android being open source? Everything will be Rosy in the garden etc., etc.?

I believe all this to be the case, I just don't want yer man giving out schtink to me when his phone can't install the latest twitter app in six months because he's stuck on Gingerbread which is no longer supported. Hypothetically.

Thanks a million lads.

How can he go to stock Vodafone ICS if he's on Tesco mobile? Will he be able to connect the phone to his computer and go to ICS once he has it unlocked to Tesco mobile, or Sim free rather?
    When I got my G300 I updated it from the original Gingerbread through a few GB updates and then onto the ICS (stock Vodafone) over wifi with no SIM installed so I presume that this will still work even if the phone is unlocked. In fact I think the ICS update insisted on wifi rather than data as it was so big.
    I guess with an iPhone if it is jail broken, you can't go to iOS 12 or whatever, this problem doesn't exist with Android?
    In simple terms Jailbreak is to iPhone what rooting is to Android. This is not the same as unlocking (even if JB is necessary for iPhone unofficial unlocking!). Unlocking will affect nothing other than perhaps your warranty (and I'm not certain that it does).
    If he sticks with the Gingerbread man, all things being equal, will he still be able to use the phone in 3 years?
    Can't see why not. Certainly if he sticks with GB til then then nothing will break.
    The question boils down to this: if yer man buys this phone goes to your friendly local Chinese run mobile phone establishment in Cork city centre and gets it unlocked so it is Sim free, he'll be able to download any app he wants, upgrade to I've cream burrito in due course, etc., etc.
    No need to go anywhere to unlock it - you can unlock for free as per the MoDaCo link that I posted. Or buy unlock codes on eBay or elsewhere online for c. €6 or less.

I think my info is correct but I am open to correction. :)

When I got my G300 I updated it from the original Gingerbread through a few GB updates and then onto the ICS (stock Vodafone) over wifi with no SIM installed so I presume that this will still work even if the phone is unlocked. In fact I think the ICS update insisted on wifi rather than data as it was so big.

In simple terms Jailbreak is to iPhone what rooting is to Android. This is not the same as unlocking (even if JB is necessary for iPhone unofficial unlocking!). Unlocking will affect nothing other than perhaps your warranty (and I'm not certain that it does).

Can't see why not. Certainly if he sticks with GB til then then nothing will break.

No need to go anywhere to unlock it - you can unlock for free as per the MoDaCo link that I posted. Or buy unlock codes on eBay or elsewhere online for c. €6 or less.

I think my info is correct but I am open to correction. :)

Thanks for the reply. Everything you've said is as I expected. I just don't want my buddy running down the street after me, telling me I owe him €130. Now I can tell him that some stranger on the Internet said it'll be grand.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Tip - Don't give him advice let him make his own mistakes!

If you buy it you get a vodafone sim with it. Use that to do the updates. Though TBH I think I did it with an O2 sim and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

So if I were to load a custom rom only once would I best be going for Infusion over at Modaco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

My phone seems to forget the ring tones I have chosen when it powers off.

I'm using the Zedge app for ringtones/notifications.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

My phone seems to forget the ring tones I have chosen when it powers off.

I'm using the Zedge app for ringtones/notifications.

Any ideas?
    This is a fairly common bug. I think it was something to do with the bug that causes the default storage to switch from SD card to Internal when you reboot. you could do a search for the problem on Modaco but as far as I remember the soulution is to keep a copy of the ringtone on your internal storage too (or something like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

This question has probably been asked before but can anyone tell me the best place to get this phone unlocked? My brother is thinking of getting one but doesn't want to buy it and then not being able to unlock it. Looks like a great phone for the price. Thanks :)

You can unlock it for free if you follow the instructions here:

Unfortunately I was unaware of the MoDaCo thread above when I unlocked mine. I did it buy buying an unlock code on eBay from the seller named korter_gsm. I have unlocked two Huawei phones now with codes from this guy and was happy with the service. Cost c. €6.

I've seen this crowd advertised but have never used them. They claim to offer G300 codes for €3.50 + 20% VAT = €4.20

http://www.network-unlockers.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

is there a way of zooming in without clicking on links accidentally?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm seriously considering getting one of these to replace the utter heap of ****e I bought a couple of months ago. Shouldn't it be shipping with ICS at this stage?

Shouldn't it be shipping with ICS at this stage?
    Not sure but if you're happy with the stock Vodafone ICS ROM then it's simple to just download/apply the update(s) when you get the phone to get it up to their latest ICS.

If you are considering installing a custom ICS ROM such as Infusion then you'll need to read more of this thread and the links contained therein.

Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If I do get it, I'll get it from a French online retailer so hopefully with a fairly stock Android interface.

OK - so presumably you'll be getting one with the stock Huawei software? In which case if it's not already ICS and there are no over the air updates for it (I'm not sure!) then presumably the Huawei support/download page might be of interest?

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/technicaIndex.do?method=gotoProductSupport&productId=3940
    http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=toDownloadFile&flay=software&softid=NDY1MTg=

You can unlock it for free if you follow the instructions here:

Unfortunately I was unaware of the MoDaCo thread above when I unlocked mine. I did it buy buying an unlock code on eBay from the seller named korter_gsm. I have unlocked two Huawei phones now with codes from this guy and was happy with the service. Cost c. €6.

I've seen this crowd advertised but have never used them. They claim to offer G300 codes for €3.50 + 20% VAT = €4.20

http://www.network-unlockers.com/

Thanks man, appreciate that. He bought it today so he's just using the guy from Ebay. I wouldn't feel confident trying to unlock it myself. What's the best ROM to put on it? It's running 2.3 at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Infusion seems to be the best around, that is what I am using on mine anyway.

Thanks man, appreciate that. He bought it today so he's just using the guy from Ebay. I wouldn't feel confident trying to unlock it myself. What's the best ROM to put on it? It's running 2.3 at the minute.
    Not sure if you mean which custom ROM? Others may differ but in my opinion if you are not comfortable with unlocking it yourself then I wonder if installing a custom ROM is for you either? If you mean stock ROM then I'm not sure but it probably boils down to sticking with Gingerbread/Android 3 or upgrading to ICS/Android 4 Vodafone (or maybe Huawei) stock ROMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a tenner off until tomorrow at vodafone.ie (so 139.99 or 119.99 if you port an existing number)

just ordered my second one of these (after killing the first one with rain...) - still seems to be the best bang per buck out there.

Not sure if you mean which custom ROM? Others may differ but in my opinion if you are not comfortable with unlocking it yourself then I wonder if installing a custom ROM is for you either? If you mean stock ROM then I'm not sure but it probably boils down to sticking with Gingerbread/Android 3 or upgrading to ICS/Android 4 Vodafone (or maybe Huawei) stock ROMs.

I've installed custom ROMS before (on my current ZTE Blade) so would be happy enough to do it again :-)

• Advertisement

Buying through BeThrifty.ie may also get you another €12.50 cashback. Didn't work for me with this phone for some reason but it did work when purchasing other Vodafone handsets in the past and I think it has worked for others with this phone. Takes ages to get the money but sure if you're not in... :)

Advertisement