Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

Ive been following this thread and was about to go out and buy one when I saw the g330 is available with emobile. Anyone have any opinion on this phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Simi

kaiserjim wrote: »
    Ive been following this thread and was about to go out and buy one when I saw the g330 is available with emobile. Anyone have any opinion on this phone ?

Better processor, worse screen. I think that sums it up. The g330 also gains a front facing camera, but loses fm radio.

I haven't seen any indepth reviews yet so I don't know anymore than that I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kaiserjim

Cheers. Is the screen a major step back ? I havent had a smart phone in about a year since my 3 year old made mince meat of my Iphone 3gs. Im sure both the g300 and g330 would suit my needs. Which one would you lads buy?

G300 from Vodafone: list price now €139.99 minus €20 for porting a number (just get a free SIM from another operator) minus €20 if the FatCheese cashback works for you (http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/vodafone-ireland/) = €99.99 net.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

G330 from emobile: list price €149.99 and no discounts available?

http://www.emobile.ie/phonesplansmore/phones/details/?id=188

That being the case I'd probably still go for the G300 but admittedly I haven't used the G330 so maybe the dual core and front facing camera would be worth it in spite of the non IPS screen.

Also - in case it's of any relevance to you - there is already an active after market ROM development community for the G300 - e.g.:

http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

The same might evolve for the G330 but you never know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

TM wrote: »

Have you installed this man?

Gonna backup all my apps/contacts etc first before changing ROM again!

Not yet - hopefully going to try it later. It's early days (R1) so there are likely to be some issues (e.g. as reported in the thread).

I backup my contacts to Google.
    Be careful of backing up and restoring apps as it looks like it may cause problems with some ROMs.
    I don't use that many apps right now nor do I have that much data to make switching ROMS that much hassle.
    SMS/call lists are the main data that I want to retain - e.g.:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.CallLogBackupRestore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Simi wrote: »
    Better processor, worse screen. I think that sums it up. The g330 also gains a front facing camera, but loses fm radio.

I haven't seen any indepth reviews yet so I don't know anymore than that I'm afraid.

I've read the reviews about no fm radio so wasn't expecting it but
    it actually does have a fm radio.

Haven't had a chance to use CM10.0 yet but it's getting some favourable comments on MoDaCo. Unsurpsiringly for a first release it has some issues but nothing that's obviously a showstopper so far as far as I can see....

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359624-jb-cm10-412-cyanogenmod-100-for-the-huawei-ascend-g300-rom-last-updated-0912/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I flashed cm10.0 the day it came out and I've been having a few annoying cliches but nothing that would make me go back to ICS yet. WOuld recommend.

• Advertisement

Thanks Jayop. Good to know. Am hoping to try it real soon now... :)

One thing, if you do the OTA update you may have to flash the latest GAPP's for JB. It was actually running better for me before I did this, but Google Play wasn't working so I was forced to.

Dazz seems to release updates fairly quickly so hopefully we can expect some of the bugs to be fixed.

Thanks. I'm probably just going to do a full wipe and clean install rather than OTA (from CM9 I presume?).

Yeah, I was CM9 v5 and I did the OTA. I'm actually probably going to still do a full wipe when I get around to it.

Have you gave the Firefox OS a shot yet?

Had a quick play with CM10.0 last night (albeit with no SIM installed yet) and at a glance it looks pretty good! :) Am looking forward to getting it set up properly for daily use and seeing how it goes.

Haven't looked at Firefox OS. Not sure it's for me to be honest. But once I get CM10.0 fully set up I might try a CWM Nandroid backup and then stick Firefox OS on for a quick goo...

It's certainly a little buggy (CM10) but I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

What's the best way to add another email account such as eircom.net or would I be best to download a separate app for it.

pbarr wrote: »
    What's the best way to add another email account such as eircom.net or would I be best to download a separate app for it.

Pretty sure using the generic email app would be the best bet. You can add multiple accounts from various sources IIRC.

Alternatively you could have all your eircom messages forwarded onto the gmail account you would have set up.

yeah, I just went into mine and looked. I have a yahoo address set up on the standard android email app. If you hit settings you can add another account.

Try it and let me know if you have bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Jayop wrote: »
    yeah, I just went into mine and looked. I have a yahoo address set up on the standard android email app. If you hit settings you can add another account.

Try it and let me know if you have bother.

Thanks it's the wife's phone but I won't get a chance to try it untill Friday evening so ill post back then on how I get on.

• Advertisement

Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

fallaci wrote: »
    And to have it unbranded I followed step by step guide from here:
    http://huaweig300.com/huawei-g300-install-a-custom-jelly-bean-ics-rom-from-scratch/
    worked perfectly :D

Got the unlock code and it worked a treat. However is it possible to unbrand the phone without needing to put a custom ROM on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Got the unlock code and it worked a treat. However is it possible to unbrand the phone without needing to put a custom ROM on it?

Just root the phone,then you can remove what you want & no need to install a different rom.
    Plenty of info on it here :
    http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

I'm considering going back to stock ICS if I can remove all the bloatware. I love the roms, but they're too glitchy at the moment and too many of my apps refuse to run with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Jayop wrote: »
    I'm considering going back to stock ICS if I can remove all the bloatware. I love the roms, but they're too glitchy at the moment and too many of my apps refuse to run with them.

I don't get the bloatware argument. Mine only shows the Vodafone name on the startup screen. Apart from that you wouldn't know it was on Voda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

by any chance is anyone looking to sell there g300 and upgrade to the g330 if so drop me a pm cheer,s guys

Discodog wrote: »
    I don't get the bloatware argument. Mine only shows the Vodafone name on the startup screen. Apart from that you wouldn't know it was on Voda.

The multitude of apps that are there that will never serve me any purpose other than to take up space on my phone. I don't mind the vodafone logo at start up, but it got to the point when I couldn't even update my existing apps due to lack of space never mind download new ones.

Also, I like tinkering with stuff. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

I've been thinking about getting a new phone for a while and had pretty much decided on the 300 but now with meteor and emobile both having the 330 I'm reconsidering.

Is there a consensus on whether the 330 is worth the extra €20 (or €50 if cashback works) over the 330?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

zil wrote: »
    I've been thinking about getting a new phone for a while and had pretty much decided on the 300 but now with meteor and emobile both having the 330 I'm reconsidering.

Is there a consensus on whether the 330 is worth the extra €20 (or €50 if cashback works) over the 330?

g300 has an IPS screen apprarently the g330 doesn't so in my opinion the 330 is a downgrade I couldn't care less about the dual core my g300 flies with cyanogenmod 9 from modaco

• Advertisement

Agree with Paddy. When your looking at a bargain smartphone you need to focus on the screen and the 300 has the better one. The 330 does have the front facing camera, but how often will you ever really use that?

Advertisement