Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Jayop wrote: »
    yeah, I just went into mine and looked. I have a yahoo address set up on the standard android email app. If you hit settings you can add another account.

Try it and let me know if you have bother.

I tried adding an eircom.net account. I put in email address user name and password in the server settings, I don't know what to put in the domain field, there is a tick in "use secure connection(SSL) and also a tick in "Accept all SSl certificates". In the Server field I have " eircom.net" When I tap next I get "Setup could not finish. Unable to open connection to server". I must need something in the domain field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

pbarr wrote: »
    I tried adding an eircom.net account. I put in email address user name and password in the server settings, I don't know what to put in the domain field, there is a tick in "use secure connection(SSL) and also a tick in "Accept all SSl certificates". In the Server field I have " eircom.net" When I tap next I get "Setup could not finish. Unable to open connection to server". I must need something in the domain field.

I tried the same way back & couldn't set it up.
    In the end I set it up through Gmail. It works perfectly, all the eircom mails in the inbox as flagged as from eircom & I have the option to reply with gmail or eircom addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Weird, I don't have an eircom email address to try it with, but I had no problem setting up a gmail and a yahoo on the one app.

As jgbyr said, try the gmail app and see if it'll work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

zil wrote: »
    I've been thinking about getting a new phone for a while and had pretty much decided on the 300 but now with meteor and emobile both having the 330 I'm reconsidering.

Is there a consensus on whether the 330 is worth the extra €20 (or €50 if cashback works) over the 330?

I don't know anything about the 330, but I have the 300 and I think it's a great phone - would recommend it in a heartbeat to anyone, I love it!
    I had an iPhone previous to this - no way could I afford a new iPhone so I opted for this, after seeing my friend's 300 and reviews here and elsewhere.
    I am very glad with my purchase! :D It's a dinger! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Lost my phone yesterday, think this (300 or 330 can decide :S) could be my cheap low value replacement, thanks guys!

What is the battery like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 nucleardublin

Agree with Paddy. When your looking at a bargain smartphone you need to focus on the screen and the 300 has the better one. The 330 does have the front facing camera, but how often will you ever really use that?

Picked you a G330 for a present for Christmas last week- before buying confirmed with Huawei that both G300 and G330 use a TFT LCD IPS Display with 223 PPI.

I am using a G300 and have to say side by side don't notice any difference in the sharpness of both displays

The main difference between the handsets I can see is as follows:
    G330 Front Facing Camera
    G330 slightly better battery (1500mAh versus 1350mAh)
    Dual core 1HGz versus Single Core

Picked you a G330 for a present for Christmas last week- before buying confirmed with Huawei that both G300 and G330 use a TFT LCD IPS Display with 223 PPI.

I am using a G300 and have to say side by side don't notice any difference in the sharpness of both displays

The main difference between the handsets I can see is as follows:
    G330 Front Facing Camera
    G330 slightly better battery (1500mAh versus 1350mAh)
    Dual core 1HGz versus Single Core

Thanks that is a good comparison, with the extra battery could that not be aoffset with the greater consumption required by the dualcore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I expect you notice the speed of the dual core though, it would be worth any loss in battery life. I thought the G300 was a bit slow myself. Is there a unlock for the G330.

BostonB wrote: »
    I expect you notice the speed of the dual core though, it would be worth any loss in battery life. I thought the G300 was a bit slow myself. Is there a unlock for the G330.

Seems to be here http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=g330+unlock+code

Going to buy the G330, if availalbe today, so will post up thoughts if you want?

I like the community around the g300 but hopefully the same will evolve.
    The dualcore and the fm transmitter built in for music are good features for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Is the call volume good and reception clear for calls on these phones?

Naughtb4 please do post your thoughts and if you manage to unlock.

• Advertisement

On meteor so no need to unlock for me

Its charging now so ill try post up thoughts tm night, first impressions are good though

Aye, Volume's grand. The signal is OK too, and I live in a real blackspot. Some of the custom ROM's do have signal issues, but a restart cures those.

Aye, Volume's grand. The signal is OK too, and I live in a real blackspot. Some of the custom ROM's do have signal issues, but a restart cures those.

Are you on a custom Rom for the 300 or the 330?

300. I'm on a near perfect Jelly Bean Rom.

Thoughts so far on the 330

Screen is nice, Gorilla glass i think as well which is a bonus
    Build quality seems good as well, reminds me of the old Creative Zens i used to own
    Battery is fine, but is still settling, seems to fly down to 90 and then really hold its charge after that, ill need to wait to see exactly how that plays out
    Contacts is nicely configured (might just be an ICS thing)
    The lockscreen is nice as as well with quick links to call,msg,unlock and camera
    Speed is also good no lag or anything yet
    No issues configuring work email or anything
    Call quality etc seem good so far
    Micro SD Card and removable battery which is nice and an advantage over my Xperia S

Cons
    i seem to constantly exit messages when typing them due to the home buttons proximity to the space bar
    As mentioned the battery is "erratic" so far ;)
    No sign of the FM Transmitter
    Dont think you can customise the home screen buttons a setting
    In messaging mode it seems to think all my words are not correct and they have a red underline under them. Im sure its just a setting gone awry as dictionary and predictive work fine
    Obv pixel density isnt as high as high end phones but tbh, i couldnt really care about that
    No HDMI out
    Camera is a bit laggy so far
    From what i can see no custom dev community so far, though maybe it will grow

All in all very happy with it, first and foremost its a phone/music/podcast player for me, and it does those very well

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

With the G300 or G330 not rooted, what's the best way to manage with a 32gb SD card in terms of setting it as default for apps etc and keeping as much of the phones memory free to keep it working as fast as possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

I presume that the likes of the custom link2sd (or the link2int mod), app2sd utilities/scripts and RomToolbox need root? If so then I guess you just have to use the Android built-in Move to SD Card options to move (parts of) apps to SD in order to reduce the internal storage (not memory) usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

TM wrote: »
    I presume that the likes of the custom link2sd (or the link2int mod), app2sd utilities/scripts and RomToolbox need root? If so then I guess you just have to use the Android built-in Move to SD Card options to move (parts of) apps to SD in order to reduce the internal storage (not memory) usage?

Cheers, giving the phone as a present, I'll just explain this simple step that needs to be done when downloading new apps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

flugel wrote: »
    Cheers, giving the phone as a present, I'll just explain this simple step that needs to be done when downloading new apps!

I find that super-rooting it augments the nano-architecture of the chip's virtual core so that the phone performs as a type of warp matrix overdrive time portal.

Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I find that super-rooting it augments the nano-architecture of the chip's virtual core so that the phone performs as a type of warp matrix overdrive time portal.

Very handy.
    Really? Mine still won't make me a sandwich even after rooting. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

massy086 wrote: »
    by any chance is anyone looking to sell there g300 and upgrade to the g330 if so drop me a pm cheer,s guys

Ah now, don't be tempting me at this time of year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Anyone know if I can mod the G330 yet? Like root it or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Don't think there's much in the way of G330 modding activity yet. A little bit on MoDaCo and Xda developers but not much yet as far as I know - e.g.:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359488-how-to-root-huawei-g330/
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1967762

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Adyx wrote: »
    Really? Mine still won't make me a sandwich even after rooting. :mad:

Well you shouda got a San Fran & root it then teepeetee Gingersturfry.

Mine even makes toast

( Feature removed in ICS )

Olddog

( Oh & it plays uetube stuff as well )

0lddog wrote: »
    Well you shouda got a San Fran & root it then teepeetee Gingersturfry.

Mine even makes toast

( Feature removed in ICS )

Olddog

( Oh & it plays uetube stuff as well )
    It was a reference to this:
    sandwich.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Is there any way to take a screen shot on the 300? :confused:

twirlagig wrote: »
    Is there any way to take a screen shot on the 300? :confused:
    If you're on ICS, hold the power button and Volume down key at the same time till you hear the camera sound, you'll see it too. If you're still on GB, there might be an app to do it, other than that, the only way is to download Huawei's HiSuite program but you'll need to have your phone connected through USB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

My Ascend 300 is up for sale on adverts if anyone is after one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Sister cracked the screen on hers after she dropped it while in its protective cover. Currently has nasty looking crack on the screen but the touch screen still works perfectly.
    Any place this could be repaired or would it be too expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Hey guys, been out of the loop on custom mods and stuff for a while. I'm currently running AtomicMod and thinking of an update for the craic.

Is CM 10 the best rom out there now? I understand I need to change my baseband version before I do anything. Is this all I need to do before I upgrade to CM10? I already have clockwork mod installed and my phone has been rooted.

Advertisement