Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

clonadlad wrote: »
    Hey guys, been out of the loop on custom mods and stuff for a while. I'm currently running AtomicMod and thinking of an update for the craic.

Is CM 10 the best rom out there now? I understand I need to change my baseband version before I do anything. Is this all I need to do before I upgrade to CM10? I already have clockwork mod installed and my phone has been rooted.

The only way to change your baseband, is with an official ics rom and when you do this you will lose root and cwm, also it will lock your bootloader.

You will have to unlock your bootloader, root again and install cwm. I'm on
    atomicmod myself my own opinion is it's the best rom at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I had the CM10 installed but had too many problems with it and went back to Infusion, that was a few weeks back so the CM10 issues may have been sorted by now, but have not had the time (nor the inclination!) to try it again (yet!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

CM 10 still has problems. Most noteworthy is the freezing of the notifications bar. The guy who developed it has disappeared from Modaco after there was a raft of abusive posts on the forum. These have all been deleted so I would expect an update in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Infusion itself is quite buggy (random reboots, & audio apps frequently crashing) - thinking of giving Stock+ a try as reports are its very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

CM 10 still has problems. Most noteworthy is the freezing of the notifications bar.
    Workaround is to disable hw overlays under the developer options.
    The guy who developed it has disappeared from Modaco after there was a raft of abusive posts on the forum. These have all been deleted so I would expect an update in the next week or so.
    I didn't think that Dazzozo had "disappeared". He just hasn't posted since Xmas day but I believe that he's still working on stuff.

I've had CM10.0 R1 installed and have had very few problems with it - notification bar freezes unless hw overlays disabled but then barcode scanner won't work unless I ENABLE it! Haven't had a chance to try R2 plus some of the recent stability tweaks mentioned on the forum yet. I did a totally clean wipe/install of CM10.0 and that may help as others who upgraded from other ROMs or restored apps/data seem to have had more problems.

Having said all that t may be that something like CM9, Infusion or Stock+ are better for general use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

loyatemu wrote: »
    Infusion itself is quite buggy (random reboots, & audio apps frequently crashing) - thinking of giving Stock+ a try as reports are its very stable.

Did not experience any of them problems with Infusion, but I don't use the Audio apps much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

EDIT - Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

0066ad wrote: »
    The only way to change your baseband, is with an official ics rom and when you do this you will lose root and cwm, also it will lock your bootloader.

You will have to unlock your bootloader, root again and install cwm. I'm on
    atomicmod myself my own opinion is it's the best rom at the moment.
    Seems like a lot of hassle to upgrade then if everything is wiped.

Have you tried many rom's and still think atomicmod is the best? There's a poll on Modaco and Infusion, CM9 and Stock+ seem to have the most votes.

I was just looking for something a little different but if it's the quickest and most stable so far I'll probably just stick.

TM wrote: »
    Workaround is to disable hw overlays under the developer options.

I didn't think that Dazzozo had "disappeared". He just hasn't posted since Xmas day but I believe that he's still working on stuff.

I've had CM10.0 R1 installed and have had very few problems with it - notification bar freezes unless hw overlays disabled but then barcode scanner won't work unless I ENABLE it! Haven't had a chance to try R2 plus some of the recent stability tweaks mentioned on the forum yet. I did a totally clean wipe/install of CM10.0 and that may help as others who upgraded from other ROMs or restored apps/data seem to have had more problems.

Having said all that t may be that something like CM9, Infusion or Stock+ are better for general use?

I had CWM 10 R2 as it was the latest release. The only problem I had with it was the notification bar freezing and had to disable hw overlay. There is a known problem with the earpiece volume in even the stock roms & Cwm 10 had solved that. With Infusion B07, the volume is very low but you can overcome that with a Volume app from the Market. The best ROMs I have found are the Jelly ICS ROM and the MeijaROM. Both very smooth but the Meija wins in that it has solved the volume issue. For anyone thats interested in getting that Rom, make sure to get all the Add-ons listed here:
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/357651-ics-meijarom-by-thejaimes111-b952-403-b8-up-181212-add-ons-available/

I had CWM 10 R2 as it was the latest release. The only problem I had with it was the notification bar freezing and had to disable hw overlay. There is a known problem with the earpiece volume in even the stock roms & Cwm 10 had solved that. With Infusion B07, the volume is very low but you can overcome that with a Volume app from the Market. The best ROMs I have found are the Jelly ICS ROM and the MeijaROM. Both very smooth but the Meija wins in that it has solved the volume issue. For anyone thats interested in getting that Rom, make sure to get all the Add-ons listed here:
    http://www.modaco.com/topic/357651-ics-meijarom-by-thejaimes111-b952-403-b8-up-181212-add-ons-available/

That MeijaRom looks nice. Improved battery is always a plus. I'm just downloading the official ICS rom at the minute to get the baseband 2030, so I can update to a custom ICS(I think that's why I'm doing it anyway:o). Then

I'll get that MeijaROM in then and see how it runs. What are the add-ons you're on about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Seems like a lot of hassle to upgrade then if everything is wiped.

Have you tried many rom's and still think atomicmod is the best? There's a poll on Modaco and Infusion, CM9 and Stock+ seem to have the most votes.

I was just looking for something a little different but if it's the quickest and most stable so far I'll probably just stick.

As soon as i upgraded to ics I was disappointed, the phone was sluggish
    and a piece of crap compared to when having atomicmod mod on it.

You can see from huawei facebook page that a lot of people weren't happy
    I've tried most of the ics roms, they are a little better than stock but not
    by much, they are all still missing the main point of upgrading to ics which
    is hardware acceleration. I've not tried cm9 or cm10 yet which seems
    to have this, because of the bugs a lot of people are reporting

Just out of curiosity have you overclocked atomicmod, mine is running
    at 1.228ghz and hasn't rebooted once.

0066ad wrote: »
    As sohon as i upgraded to ics I was disappointed, the phone was sluggish
    and a piece of crap compared to when having atomicmod mod on it.

You can see from huawei facebook page that a lot of people weren't happy
    I've tried most of the ics roms, they are a little better than stock but not
    by much, they are all still missing the main point of upgrading to ics which
    is hardware acceleration. I've not tried cm9 or cm10 yet which seems
    to have this, because of the bugs a lot of people are reporting

Just out of curiosity have you overclocked atomicmod, mine is running
    at 1.228ghz and hasn't rebooted once.
    Just after upgrading to official ICS. Don't really like it. Gonna upgrade to CM10 to see what JellyBean is like. If I don't like it I'll go back to AtomicMod, actually is that possible?

EDIT: After upgrading to CM10. I really like the new interface. Only problem I have is I signed in with my google account at the start up and now it wont show any of my contacts I have on my sim. Is there any way of removing my gmail account from this? And can I download all of the apps I had previously linked with this account easily or do I just have to do them separately? I think I synced them before I upgraded rom's if that was any use.

EDIT again: Found how to copy all my contacts.. Now does anyone know an easy way of downloading all my apps again?

Just after upgrading to official ICS. Don't really like it. Gonna upgrade to CM10 to see what JellyBean is like. If I don't like it I'll go back to AtomicMod, actually is that possible?

EDIT: After upgrading to CM10. I really like the new interface. Only problem I have is I signed in with my google account at the start up and now it wont show any of my contacts I have on my sim. Is there any way of removing my gmail account from this? And can I download all of the apps I had previously linked with this account easily or do I just have to do them separately? I think I synced them before I upgraded rom's if that was any use.

EDIT again: Found how to copy all my contacts.. Now does anyone know an easy way of downloading all my apps again?

When signing in to Google in a new rom, you get the option to synch your conacts & apps to your Google accopunt. You should allow this. Then when you install a new rom, your apps will automatically download. If you can, have wifi running for this, as it makes it faster. Now your contacts should come back the same way, but if you have them on your sim, you may, like me, end up with your contacts duplicated, which is a bitch:(

When signing in to Google in a new rom, you get the option to synch your conacts & apps to your Google accopunt. You should allow this. Then when you install a new rom, your apps will automatically download. If you can, have wifi running for this, as it makes it faster. Now your contacts should come back the same way, but if you have them on your sim, you may, like me, end up with your contacts duplicated, which is a bitch:(
    None of my apps downloaded again. Did a bit of googling and it doesn't automatically download if you're on some sort of JB ROM. I didn't have that many so I'm not too bothered.

CM10 is really nice. Only one or two problems- the lockscreen takes a few seconds to react after I hit the power button (well it was kind of buggy before so that could just be my phone). Also when typing a message, it vibrates every time I hit a letter, that could just be the program I'm using though. And auto-rotate seems to be on the whole time, it just wont turn off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Could you recommend a good volume app, I find the volume fairly low on headphones, esp with FM radio

Thanks

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Could you recommend a good volume app, I find the volume fairly low on headphones, esp with FM radio

Thanks

Apologies for the delay. The App is called VolumePlus 1.9.0.1-FREE.apk. Its only 76k. I've forgotten where I downloaded it from, but I'm sure Google can be your friend. If you have no success, come back to me or send a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Brian_Zeluz

Bought mine at the end of August last year and in the last month its slowly developed a dead zone about 1cm wide 3/4 of the way down the screen. Vodafone have said they will fix it so that's not a problem, I'm just wondering has this happened to anyone else?

Have a look here. There'a thread about this issue:http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Guest2011

Hi,

I am considering buying the ascend g300 can any person advise if this is still available in stores as can't buy online.

If possible give address of store.

Kind regards,

Its £100.00 on amazon.co.uk. Its locked to Vodafone Uk, but you can get it unlocked on ebay.ie for about €7.00. After that you can mod it per this link: http://www.modaco.com/topic/357243-explained-like-youre-5-install-custom-roms-from-scratch-install-the-official-ics-update-root-more/

That link takes you through the steps and you should end up with the latest unbranded rom on your phone. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyone else go for the 330 in the end? any roms etc out yet?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just got my g300 (SIM free) and there's no stock update to ICS available. What's the best way to get it? Or should I just go with a custom Rom?

Edit: I've just seen Kristopherus' post above

My phone is baseband 109808. Does this mean I need to install the stock ICS ROM before I can do anything else?

My phone is baseband 109808. Does this mean I need to install the stock ICS ROM before I can do anything else?

Yes. The guides are here: http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

Right, got stock ICS and baseband is now 2030 :)
    What's the current consensus on the best ROM out there? Cyanogen 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Yes, my Dad's been complaining about the sluggish ui since he got the damn thing! I've spent the last hour on modaco reading through the various rom threads.

Anyone using Meijarom or Jelly Cream Sandwich? CM 10 just isn't good enough yet from what I've read. Anyone have any recommendations?

It's not the zippiest phone in the world and the screen is not the most responsive. Hopefully there is a ROM which rectifies these issues.

Edit: in the Cyanogen 9.1 thread they advise to use their CWM version. I've downloaded it but don't know how to replace my current CWM (installed using the Explained like you're 5 thread).

Guest2011 wrote: »
    I am considering buying the ascend g300 can any person advise if this is still available in stores as can't buy online.
    Why can't you buy it online here for example?

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

Edit: in the Cyanogen 9.1 thread they advise to use their CWM version. I've downloaded it but don't know how to replace my current CWM (installed using the Explained like you're 5 thread).
    You should be able to flash a different version of CWM using CWM itself.

• Advertisement

There's no clear consensus as far as I can see. I'm using CM10 daily and find it OK but have mainly used it for regular phone and browsing stuff so far (with hw overlays disabled to prevent the notification bar freeze problem). I'm still on R1 and haven't yet upgraded to R2. It looks like with any ROM doing a fully clean wipe/install is important for stability. Note that while lots of problems are reported with all ROMs not everybody experiences them. In terms of stability and suitability for daily use I get the impression that they may rank as follows (from most to least):

Stock+
    CM9/Infusion
    CM10

There are other custom ROMs but I'm not sure about them.

There are also anecdotal reports that the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) that you have which depends on the last official stock ROM update that you installed may have an impact on stability and B926 is often mentioned as "the best" but as with a lot of this stuff it's very difficult to get authoritative info on this...

Advertisement