Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

TM wrote: »
    You should be able to flash a different version of CWM using CWM itself.

I can't find an option or explanation on how to do that. Would you mind describing how?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Put the new CWM zip on the sdcard, boot into your current CWM recovery and then choose "install update from sdcard" and select the CWM zip and the current CWM will install the new/different version one.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

There's no clear consensus as far as I can see. I'm using CM10 daily and find it OK but have mainly used it for regular phone and browsing stuff so far (with hw overlays disabled to prevent the notification bar freeze problem). I'm still on R1 and haven't yet upgraded to R2. It looks like with any ROM doing a fully clean wipe/install is important for stability. Note that while lots of problems are reported with all ROMs not everybody experiences them. In terms of stability and suitability for daily use I get the impression that they may rank as follows (from most to least):

Stock+
    CM9/Infusion
    CM10

There are other custom ROMs but I'm not sure about them.

There are also anecdotal reports that the RIL (Radio Interface Layer) that you have which depends on the last official stock ROM update that you installed may have an impact on stability and B926 is often mentioned as "the best" but as with a lot of this stuff it's very difficult to get authoritative info on this...

+1 with your excellent post. I have R2 installed. There is still an issue with the notification bar freezing. Everything else work fine. No radio, though.
    The other rom that I found with the least issues is the meija rom. With that you should dowload all the add-ons listed underneath the download link. This rom has no issues with sound & IMO is as good as CWM 10. Very little between them.

I can't find an option or explanation on how to do that. Would you mind describing how?

Once you have got to baseband 2030, you will have installed clockwork mod in your phone during that process. Hit the On button & Volume Up together to get into recovery. Then you will be given a list of options & away you go. It is recommended that you do a clean install each time you put a new rom on. That means cleaning data, cache, battery stats & dalvick cache. Thats to avoid conflict.
    All of you may already know this, but do remember that ICS & Cyangenomod are not compatible. Also remember, on ICS you cannot easily go back to a different baseband easily. That's been my experience anyway.

+1 with your excellent post.
    Thanks! :o
    I have R2 installed. There is still an issue with the notification bar freezing.
    I presume you know about disabling hw overlays to avoid this (Settings > Developer Options > DRAWING > Disable HW Overlays)? You have to do this every time you reboot. You can edit build.prop to make this permanent but I haven't been able to identify the exact settings required from the LOOOONG CM10 thread. You'll need something like Root Explorer to modify this file.
    No radio, though.
    Yes. And there are a few other common issues which are mentioned in the CM10 thread and there's also a bugbase but unfortunately the only way to keep up to speed with things is to trawl through the LOOONG thread as there is no authoritative one stop shop for all the known issues etc.

I'm going to stick CM10 R2 on (after a full wipe to avoid any issues) when I get a chance and see how it looks. I'm still leaning towards CM10 for daily use but am not sure if I'd be better off with something else...

• Advertisement

Once you have got to baseband 2030, you will have installed clockwork mod in your phone during that process. Hit the On button & Volume Up together to get into recovery. Then you will be given a list of options & away you go. It is recommended that you do a clean install each time you put a new rom on. That means cleaning data, cache, battery stats & dalvick cache. Thats to avoid conflict.
    All of you may already know this, but do remember that ICS & CWM are not compatible. Also remember, on ICS you cannot easily go back to a different baseband easily. That's been my experience anyway.

What do you mean by the bolded bit exactly?

And what is a baseband when it's at home, as matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I am in the market for something like this but I see that the G330 is out now and that has a Dual Core Processor... would I be better waiting for this on Vodafone rather than going for the G300?

This might be of use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor

RoboRat wrote: »
    I am in the market for something like this but I see that the G330 is out now and that has a Dual Core Processor... would I be better waiting for this on Vodafone rather than going for the G300?

This thread might be of interest to you?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359661-buying-a-new-phone-g300-or-g330/

Note that the references to a dual SIM G330 are almost certainly to some foreign/Chinese model. Don't think the one available in Europe has dual SIMs.

CWM 10 is Jellybean, CWM 9 is Ice cream sandwich, 2 different OS, similar to Windows & Linux in computerspeak.

Baseband = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband. Enjoy:D

• Advertisement

I don't understand the "ICS and CWM are not compatible" comment either. Infusion is ICS and I installed it using CWM...

CWM 10 is Jellybean, CWM 9 is Ice cream sandwich, 2 different OS, similar to Windows & Linux in computerspeak.
    Ah!

CWM != CM

CWM = ClockworkMod (recovery)
    CM = CyanogenMod (ROM)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Thanks for that TM, not particularly interested in the dual sim, just looking for a decent smartphone for under €200. Think I will hold out for the G330 unless there are better alternatives?

I was interested in the Lumia 800 but they seem to be sold out everywhere plus they are not Android, and I was mainly interested in an Android phone.

Thanks! :o

I presume you know about disabling hw overlays to avoid this (Settings > Developer Options > DRAWING > Disable HW Overlays)? You have to do this every time you reboot. You can edit build.prop to make this permanent but I haven't been able to identify the exact settings required from the LOOOONG CM10 thread. You'll need something like Root Explorer to modify this file.

I got through a full day without it happening:D. But then it happened last night.

Yes. And there are a few other common issues which are mentioned in the CM10 thread and there's also a bugbase but unfortunately the only way to keep up to speed with things is to trawl through the LOOONG thread as there is no authoritative one stop shop for all the known issues etc.

At least there are now a couple of summaries of those issues.Around Page 60/61.

I'm going to stick CM10 R2 on (after a full wipe to avoid any issues) when I get a chance and see how it looks. I'm still leaning towards CM10 for daily use but am not sure if I'd be better off with something else...

I'll probably alternate a bit. First developer to come up with a solid, stable revision will get my vote.

Ah!

CWM != CM

CWM = ClockworkMod (recovery)
    CM = CyanogenMod (ROM)

:)

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH ! My bad:o

RoboRat wrote: »
    Thanks for that TM, not particularly interested in the dual sim, just looking for a decent smartphone for under €200. Think I will hold out for the G330 unless there are better alternatives?

I was interested in the Lumia 800 but they seem to be sold out everywhere plus they are not Android, and I was mainly interested in an Android phone.
    I've seen the Orange San Diego (albeit Intel rather than ARM based) mentioned as another possible candidate but don't know if/how to get one here...

http://www.gsmarena.com/orange_san_diego-4588.php

At least there are now a couple of summaries of those issues.Around Page 60/61.
    The problem is it's difficult to distinguish between the issues that are common to most or all and those that are sporadic or only affect certain users (e.g. certain RILs, upgrade paths etc.). For example lots of people have complained that the web browser crashes and that JavaScript doesn't work but I've had no problem with that. I have had a few mysterious reboots but have no idea why - e.g. could be related to the whole RIL thing (don't think I'm on B926 or whatever the one considered "good" is) and movement between mobile cells and/or 2G/3G etc. Ultimately trying to get clear and authoritative info isn't necessarily easy. But then I suppose this is the bleeding edge world of custom ROMs and if I wanted an easy life I should have stuck with the most stable stock Huawei/Vodafone GB ROM! :D

I got Cyanogen 9 installed fairly painlessly, with thanks to everyone that helped.

What is the launcher used by default? I'm trying to find a theme for it but don't know what ones are compatible

I got Cyanogen 9 installed fairly painlessly, with thanks to everyone that helped.

What is the launcher used by default? I'm trying to find a theme for it but don't know what ones are compatible

If I recall correctly CM9 on G300 uses Trebuchet. But you can install another if you want. Check out the MoDaCo CM9/G300 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I bought one of these as a present for the wife. I got it unlocked and put in and old 3 mobile sim just to test it but I cant get the data to work on it. My wife hasn't started using it yet. She is on Emobile and I was wondering will the data work on it after we change the sim over without having to change the settings.
    I think I read a post earlier about an app that sets up a data connection for you but I can't find it.

• Advertisement

You'll need to configure the APN (Access point name) for the selected operator. Look for Tweakker APN on the Google Play store.

Hope this helps.

Oh - somebody just posted the build.prop changes required to make "disable hw overlays" permanent across reboots.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359624-jb-cm10-412-cyanogenmod-100-for-the-huawei-ascend-g300-rom-last-updated-1512/page__st__1200#entry2072054

New build of Meija rom to be uploaded today. http://www.modaco.com/topic/357651-ics-meijarom-by-thejaimes111-b952-403-b8-up-181212-add-ons-available/page__st__260

For me that is the most stable rom so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

This might be of use to you so.

Ste- wrote: »

That looks fantastic, thanks!

New build of Meija rom to be uploaded today. http://www.modaco.com/topic/357651-ics-meijarom-by-thejaimes111-b952-403-b8-up-181212-add-ons-available/page__st__260

For me that is the most stable rom so far.
    Interesting. Have you tried many of the others? And concluded that this one is best? Anything glitches at all that you have noticed? Am very interested in first hand experience. Thanks.

Note that he hasn't actually posted B9 yet but says it'll be there today.

Interesting. Have you tried many of the others? And concluded that this one is best? Anything glitches at all that you have noticed? Am very interested in first hand experience. Thanks.

Note that he hasn't actually posted B9 yet but says it'll be there today.

Have the phone about 2 months, but its only in the last few weeks that I began experimenting. I have so far installed and tried the following:

Hauwei official Stock update - very good, but baseband not 2030.

Infusion B952 B06 & Bo7 - low sound.

AOKP EmotionR1 - phone would not reboot.

Jelly Cream Sandwich B3 - pretty ok, a few reboots only.

Then tried Stockplus R1 but phone aborted installation, which it also did when I tried to go back to Huawei Stock. This also happened if I tried to install Recovery - Flash B944.

Next up was Jelly Cream Sandwich B5. Very good except it asked me for sim pin X 2 every time I booted.
    Followed this with MeijaRom. Installed 6 add-ons as well. This has worked as I want it to. Fast boot, no sound problems, and it is the only rom that allows me to have a song stored in any of the music apps as a ringtone and not revert to default on next boot.

In summary, I would rate the Custom Roms in the following order: 1 MeijaRom, 2 CM 10, 3 Jelly Cream Sandwich, 4 Infusion B07.

That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps. All info re installing/deinstalling available at http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

Thanks. Might try Meija if CM10 R2 causes me any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Thanks. Might try Meija if CM10 R2 causes me any problems.
    I'm on CM10 R2 and still have the status bar freezing problem, I'm just after disabling hardware overlay now thanks to this thread. Overall this Rom has been fierce buggy. Sometimes my text keypad will freeze or my apps will freeze on a regular basis.
    I'm gonna try this new Meija rom when it's released.

• Advertisement

clonadlad wrote: »
    I'm on CM10 R2 and still have the status bar freezing problem, I'm just after disabling hardware overlay now thanks to this thread.
    To be fair this problem and workaround (along with a number of others) is mentioned in the known issues link in the second post in the CM10 thread and is also asked about and mentioned many other times in the thread...

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359624-jb-cm10-412-cyanogenmod-100-for-the-huawei-ascend-g300-rom-last-updated-1512/#entry2063577

Advertisement