Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm constantly getting between 0 and 2 bars of reception whereas I would always have full bars with my previous phone. I've barely used it to call so I don't know if it's an actual problem with the signal or just the display being inaccurate. The battery usage display seems a little erratic too, it goes down very quickly (10% in 10 minutes) then only another 20-30% for the rest of the day.

And finally, dumb question but how do I set an MP3 as a ringtone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I'm constantly getting between 0 and 2 bars of reception whereas I would always have full bars with my previous phone. I've barely used it to call so I don't know if it's an actual problem with the signal or just the display being inaccurate. The battery usage display seems a little erratic too, it goes down very quickly (10% in 10 minutes) then only another 20-30% for the rest of the day.

What music app have you? If Google Music or Music+ 0r Apollo its easy enough. Go to System Settings/Sound/Ringtone. Click on Ringtone. You should get the option to choose from Ringtones or Music. Click Music and your music apps should list. Choose Whichever you wish and hit the button at the tune of your choice. You can do the same for Notifications.With Apollo & Music+, when you open these apps ordinarily, you can right click on any tune and you will get the option to set it as a ringtone.
    If you're not happy with your own music, download Zedge from the App Store and you will have access to thousands of ringtones, most free.

MeijaRom B9 now available to download. Here's the direct link:http://goo.im/devs/Thejaimes111/u8815/MeijaICS/MeijaICS-u8815-Thejaimes111-B9.zip

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bobby10_10

Currently without a phone having dropped my s2 in water so have proved i can't be trusted with an exspensive phone. Is this genuinly a decent phone ? no problem handling twitter, email , the odd bit of light browsing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Can somebody tell me how to stop the Facebook contacts from appearing in the contact list when I go to type a text message. They don't appear at all when I press the contacts button and I can't see an option to edit or delete them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I have noticed a reduction in how many bars of reception I get but I've never had any problems although it's usually still 2-3 bars. The battery thing is extremely common. It's been like that for me on every rom I've used from stock Vodafone to CM10.

bobby10_10 wrote: »
    Currently without a phone having dropped my s2 in water so have proved i can't be trusted with an exspensive phone. Is this genuinly a decent phone ? no problem handling twitter, email , the odd bit of light browsing ?

IMHO it is by far the best of the budget-priced phones. It has 1ghz processor, 2gb internal storage and handles a 32gb ext no problem. The Ascend G 330 is the guts of €100 dearer, but I cannot see the value there. Another option worth looking at might be the Sony Xperia Tipo. €99.99 now on Tescomobile.ie, but it can be unlocked online for less than €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

IMHO it is by far the best of the budget-priced phones. It has 1ghz processor, 2gb internal storage and handles a 32gb ext no problem. The Ascend G 330 is the guts of €100 dearer, but I cannot see the value there. Another option worth looking at might be the Sony Xperia Tipo. €99.99 now on Tescomobile.ie, but it can be unlocked online for less than €10.

How is the g330 the guts of €100 dearer? It's the same price and probably a better buy at this point.

Sure it doesn't have the modding support of the g300 (which is pretty dire btw), but that isn't a concern for most people.

Simi wrote: »
    How is the g330 the guts of €100 dearer? It's the same price and probably a better buy at this point.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ahuawei+ascend+g330&keywords=huawei+ascend+g330&ie=UTF8&qid=1357478561

Sure it doesn't have the modding support of the g300 (which is pretty dire btw), but that isn't a concern for most people.

No, its not. Thats why there are a couple of hundred pages on Modaco re modding the G 300:rolleyes: But each to their own:pac:

Whatever about choosing between the G300 and G330, what is very fcuking dire is the unfinished state of Huawei's stock roms (and not just the VF branded ones).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

I followed the steps to back up the imei, set it to zero, root the phone install jellybean and then restore the imei. However I missed out on the step to actually unlock the phone with the imei set to zero.

I am now unsure what state the phone is in as i put in another sim card but wasn't ask for an unlock code. However i couldn't connect to the three network with the sim, even though in the original phone the sim came from it was connected to three in the very same location! Don't know what to do now, was just going to but an unlock from ebay to save me down grading to stock rom etc. but can't do that now as it didn't ask me for an unlock! Any ideas??

Edit: when I go to select network with my three card in the list comes up but I can't scroll down the list to the network I want, even though the scroll bar indicates that there are more firm there. Select automatically doesn't work either.....

When I have Vodafone sim in I can scroll down the list, very strange!

Embedded Youtube videos in Chrome play back all jittery. Is there a specific Flash APK I should sideload to sort this out?

AFAIK Adobe have withdrawn support for Flash. You'll have to google it to get a reliable alternative source.

Edit: This may be of some help: http://www.modaco.com/topic/358920-apk-for-flash-player-on-gingerbread-b895/page__hl__+adobe%20+flash%20+apk#entry2048271

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

No, its not. Thats why there are a couple of hundred pages on Modaco re modding the G 300:rolleyes: But each to their own:pac:

Just to be clear I am not criticising the work of those developing for the g300, I am merely pointing out that there isn't a whole of them.

The g300 has been out for 7+ months now, and the level of enthusiasm it has generated thus far is not particularly encouraging. A quick skim over the forums would seem to indicate that there are effectively a dozen derivative roms based on Huawei’s broken stock firmware, only a few of which appear to be in active development.

There appears to be a lone active innovative developer, who has been forced to take a step back from the forums due to the level of abuse :eek: he was receiving from users frustrated by the slow pace of development! Not something you want to see given that he appears to be the sole innovative developer for the phone.
    Embedded Youtube videos in Chrome play back all jittery. Is there a specific Flash APK I should sideload to sort this out?

You can get the latest releases of the flash player here http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html
    Adyx wrote: »
    Whatever about choosing between the G300 and G330, what is very fcuking dire is the unfinished state of Huawei's stock roms (and not just the VF branded ones).

Agreed. For a company looking to make waves in the international market this is poor form. Can't argue with the price though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Is this with hw overlays disabled in the Developer Options?

The g300 has been out for 7+ months now, and the level of enthusiasm it has generated thus far is not particularly encouraging. A quick skim over the forums would seem to indicate that there are effectively half a dozen derivative roms based on Huawei’s broken stock firmware, only two of which appear to be in active development.
    There's also CM 9 and 10 which are not derived from Huawei's ROMs.
    There appears to be a lone active innovative developer, who has been forced to take a step back from the forums due to the level of abuse :eek: he was receiving from users frustrated by the slow pace of development!
    Dazzozo is still active - on IRC and maybe to a lesser extent on the forums.
    Agreed. For a company looking to make waves in the international market this is poor form. Can't argue with the price though!
    A very very tech savvy colleague of mine has the original Samsung Galaxy Note and it regularly crashes with the stock Samsung firmware. Even the big boys don't always get it right.

TM wrote: »
    Is this with hw overlays disabled in the Developer Options?

I don't think I have this option (ICS with Cyanogen 9.1)

Sorry - thought you were talking about CM10

Some weird big oval just appeared on my screen. No idea what it is but I'm going to have to get this replaced after less than a week :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Some weird big oval just appeared on my screen. No idea what it is but I'm going to have to get this replaced after less than a week :-(

Same thing happened my brothers Ascend. Is it like a thumbprint? He took off the back cover and pulled at the screen/front cover and it went away. Seems like it was trapped air or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Leave the phone somewhere warm like the hot press - not too warm!

If the area reduces then it's simply condensation. Mine had the same problem after it got damp in a pocket. It cleared in a day or so.

Same thing happened my brothers Ascend. Is it like a thumbprint? He took off the back cover and pulled at the screen/front cover and it went away. Seems like it was trapped air or something.
    That's exactly what it looks like. I can't really get a hold of the screen to pull at it. I'll try leave it above the radiator overnight and see does it get smaller.

Edit: I managed to loosen it a little from the side and it disappeared. That is fantastic, major headache saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

That's exactly what it looks like. I can't really get a hold of the screen to pull at it. I'll try leave it above the radiator overnight and see does it get smaller.

Edit: I managed to loosen it a little from the side and it disappeared. That is fantastic, major headache saved!

Good stuff! Hopefully it doesn't come back now!

Happened to mine once and did the whole pull/squeeze thing. It went away and hasn't come back since.

Wonder if someone got a cheap deal here:
    http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/huawei-ascend-g300/2403840

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Common enough problem over on modaco.
    Friend of mine had the same happen to him, bring back to vodafone who will send it off to Huawei for replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Re the oval thing, it happens every time you put the phone in jeans front pocket facing TOWARDS your leg. To prevent this from happening face the screen outwards and it will not re-occur.

Anyways, it's easy to get rid.

1) Turn off the phone
    2) Remove the battery
    3) Lay face down on a table
    4) With the tips of your fingers tap with a reasonable amount of force in the area around the sim card at the back of the phone.
    5) Keep tapping until the spot goes.

Jayop wrote: »
    Re the oval thing, it happens every time you put the phone in jeans front pocket facing TOWARDS your leg. To prevent this from happening face the screen outwards and it will not re-occur.

Anyways, it's easy to get rid.

1) Turn off the phone
    2) Remove the battery
    3) Lay face down on a table
    4) With the tips of your fingers tap with a reasonable amount of force in the area around the sim card at the back of the phone.
    5) Keep tapping until the spot goes.

Noted, will keep it the other way around from now on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I'm downloading the Android v 4 update for this phone at the moment. Do you need an sd card in the phone to install it and how exactly do you install it.

• Advertisement

I did the OTA (over the air) upgrade from Vodafone stock Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich over wifi with no sdcard and no SIM card installed as far as I recall in case that's of any use? But to install any custom ROM you normally need an sdcard on which to store the image (often a zip file that can be installed using CWM (ClockworkMod recovery). If you are planning on installing any ICS or JB custom ROMs then you need to get up to baseband 2030 anyway via the stock Vodafone (or Huawei) ICS first.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement