Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

No excuse not to buy this phone now that it's Guaranteed Irish! :D

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2013/0109/breaking13.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stupid question time again!

I'm on Cyanogen mod 9.1. Whenever I get an incoming call I need to swipe to answer or reject. The red/green icons don't appear until they're actually swiped into so I keep forgetting which side to swipe to... is there some way of changing this screen so I can see the call/reject buttons in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Stupid question time again!

I'm on Cyanogen mod 9.1. Whenever I get an incoming call I need to swipe to answer or reject. The red/green icons don't appear until they're actually swiped into so I keep forgetting which side to swipe to... is there some way of changing this screen so I can see the call/reject buttons in time?

You do come up with 6-markers:). Generally in Android, in my experience, swipe to the right for Green, and left for Red.

If the CM9 incoming call screen does not meet your needs or is not configurable (don't know not having really used CM9 - just 7 and 10) then maybe something like this would help?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1575395

You do come up with 6-markers:). Generally in Android, in my experience, swipe to the right for Green, and left for Red.
    TM wrote: »
    If the CM9 incoming call screen does not meet your needs or is not configurable (don't know not having really used CM9 - just 7 and 10) then maybe something like this would help?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1575395

Giving this a shot. Just to be awkward though, this app has the green/answer button on the left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭robbe

Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone has successfully installed XBMC on their Ascend? Lifted the neon and non neon builds from xda-developers XBMC for android thread and couldnt get either to work - has anyone else been successful and if so could they maybe send on a link to the build?

Thanks,

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

robbe wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondered if anyone has successfully installed XBMC on their Ascend? Lifted the neon and non neon builds from xda-developers XBMC for android thread and couldnt get either to work - has anyone else been successful and if so could they maybe send on a link to the build?

Thanks,

Rob

http://www.modaco.com/topic/357371-xbmc/

Thread here about it, but have not tried it myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭robbe

Thanks for that - will try it and let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I updated my phone to the latest firmware from Vodafone. Everything went well but I have a question about the Accuweather app. The location has defaulted to London. Does anyone know how to change it to my own location.
    Also I can't get the Tune in radio app to work on it. It works ok on 3G but I cant get it to work on wifi. Anybody any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭wilser

Just updated mine to the B952 firmware & tune in is working perfect over wifi for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I've had this phone for six months now.
    I've tried a lot of different roms from modaco, cm9,cm10, infusion.
    Lots of bugs,slowness etc with them.

Happy to report that I've found a great ics rom on modaco called Meijarom by thejamesiii. Its smooth and fast and theres a built in over clocker that works great.

Have had a problem with the micro USB cable making a bad connection but turns out that the cable that came with it was bad quality. Picking a replacement cable up from argos today

This thumbprint problem is happening to me pretty much every day now, no matter which way I turn the phone in my pocket. Would some sort of case help?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

This thumbprint problem is happening to me pretty much every day now, no matter which way I turn the phone in my pocket. Would some sort of case help?

I have a nilkin tpu case, screen protector
    film and a pull tab case from eBay. Protects the phone pretty well in your pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

I'm really liking the Stock+ ROM, very fast and smooth, and everything seems to work. Had the Meija ROM on before, which was good as well, but some of my apps wouldn't work with it for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

wilser wrote: »
    Just updated mine to the B952 firmware & tune in is working perfect over wifi for me.

Do you know where I can find instructions on how to update and more important is how do I get the phone back to the version its at now if it doesn't work out. Is it just a case of copying all the folders on the phone and then copying them back to the phone if the update isn't successful. Its the wife's phone and I don't want to mess it up and not be able to get it back to the way it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

pbarr wrote: »
    Do you know where I can find instructions on how to update and more important is how do I get the phone back to the version its at now if it doesn't work out. Is it just a case of copying all the folders on the phone and then copying them back to the phone if the update isn't successful. Its the wife's phone and I don't want to mess it up and not be able to get it back to the way it is now.

Here you go: http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭wilser

pbarr wrote: »

I am on the stock vodafone/huawei rom & the update showed up in my notification bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

wilser wrote: »

I am on the stock vodafone/huawei rom & the update showed up in my notification bar.

I also updated with no problems. Has anyone found any difference/improvements with the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

I'm having a problem with my SD card. On the notification bar, it is constantly saying "preparing SD card", then it will say "blank SD card", "SD card ready to mount" or "SD card is blank or has unsupported files". The phone wont recognise it when I try to format it. Even when I try to connect it to the computer to format it, it will only show up the internal storage of the phone.

I even tried rebooting in Recovery mode to format the card but it says to mount the SD card.

It's a Sandisk 32 gb card if that's any help?

clonadlad wrote: »
    I'm having a problem with my SD card. On the notification bar, it is constantly saying "preparing SD card", then it will say "blank SD card", "SD card ready to mount" or "SD card is blank or has unsupported files". The phone wont recognise it when I try to format it. Even when I try to connect it to the computer to format it, it will only show up the internal storage of the phone.

I even tried rebooting in Recovery mode to format the card but it says to mount the SD card.

It's a Sandisk 32 gb card if that's any help?
    Try mounting it to a PC with an SD card reader? I've had a couple die on me spontaneously like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Try mounting it to a PC with an SD card reader? I've had a couple die on me spontaneously like this
    I have SD card slot on my laptop but no adapter thing so that's not gonna work.

It seemed to go bad after I updated to CM10 but worked now and again for me to get Meijarom on there.

Have you seen the MoDaCo "G300 blob" :) thread already?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353701-intermittent-blob-appearing-inside-the-screen/

I searched for everything except 'blob' :D

My phone has become almost unusable this last 24 hours. It freezes up completely every time I use n7player (music) or bsplayer (video) and spits out YouTube crash errors on startup. Time to try another ROm maybe.

Did that thread help at all? I've seen various fixes such as the "sucker" one or pressing on the back (?) of the phone to get rid of the blob. I haven't suffered from this myself but I don't carry it in my trouser pockets so far which seems to be a key contributory factor (or as somebody, on MoDaCo I think, put it "sweaty b*****ks causes G300 screen problem" :D).

On the topic of "which ROM to use"....

I've been running Dazzozo's CM10 R1 for a while and have found it OK but am still mainly just using the phone for calls (! :)), texts and a little browsing but not a lot of other apps. Still some quirks and I do get the odd random reboot for some reason (2G/3G/Wifi transitions or something?!!? I really don't know... Maybe this sort of thing? http://www.modaco.com/topic/358610-hard-reboots-3g-issue/). Barcode scanners don't work unless I enable hw overlays which then of course can cause the notification bar to freeze. Not sure why flash web content is not working - I thought it was originally. But then YouTube does work (maybe HTML5 rather than Flash?).

I see that R3 just arrived overnight. Might give that a go and see how I fare. But based on feedback here and elsewhere I'm wondering if I might have a better experience with Meija or Stock+ (and maybe also the 308 kernel for stock/stock based ROMs which seems to get positive comment: http://www.modaco.com/topic/358992-kernel-308-kernel-for-official-ics-roms-19-update-111112/)?

It's definitely not clear which is the "best" ROM in most or all cases and it's confusing the number of problems reported not all of which affect all users but then I suppose some of us did buy the phone so that we might have an "interesting" time with it... :)

Decisions decisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

Hey all,

My girlfriend has this phone. For the last 2 weeks the phone starts ringing for no reason.. It'll just start ringing all of a sudden, there'll be no name on the screen or nothing..

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks

Haven't seen that reported anywhere. What software is it running?

Some people do get the "caller id lag" bug where incoming calls don't report the calling number (?) and/or name from contacts until the call is answered. Could it be that? Has she answered the calls?

Haven't seen that reported anywhere. What software is it running?

Some people do get the "caller id lag" bug where incoming calls don't report the calling number (?) and/or name from contacts until the call is answered. Could it be that? Has she answered the calls?

Not sure to be honest. She got it in August 2012 off Vodafone.ie and the software/firmware hasn't been touched.

OK - so it's presumably on the stock Vodafone/Huawei ROM - Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sambo. You can check in Settings > About Phone or whatever. Perhaps it's the caller id lag/no caller id bug that some people get? Or are you saying that they weren't calls at all but random ringing of the phone?

OK - so it's presumably on the stock Vodafone/Huawei ROM - Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sambo. You can check in Settings > About Phone or whatever. Perhaps it's the caller id lag/no caller id bug that some people get? Or are you saying that they weren't calls at all but random ringing of the phone?

Ya it's ICS. Don't have the phone near me now to check anything else on it. But in relation to the calls, they weren't actually calls coming through, as you said, just random ringing of the phone..

• Advertisement

Definitely not an alarm or something? Did a reboot help at all? Sounds odd but as I said other than the caller id issue I haven't seen anything like that reported. If it was me I'd be inclined to wipe the phone and reinstall the relevant stock or custom ROM but that may not be a runner here and sometimes it's not exactly clear what is the safest route to doing this...

Advertisement