Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

TM wrote: »
    Definitely not an alarm or something? Did a reboot help at all? Sounds odd but as I said other than the caller id issue I haven't seen anything like that reported. If it was me I'd be inclined to wipe the phone and reinstall the relevant stock or custom ROM but that may not be a runner here and sometimes it's not exactly clear what is the safest route to doing this...

No it's not an alarm. When it starts to ring the screen just lights up but it just shows the home screen, no alarm symbols or anything. It does it a few times a day. Haven't rebooted it or wiped it yet, but I might do it this weekend.

I see on this thread that there are instructions on how to do this, but is there a way to back-up all the stuff saved on the phone 1st before doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Definitely try a reboot first.
    Then maybe a wipe/reset to factory defaults if necessary.
    You can backup stuff like texts, call lists, contacts (most easily to Google) etc. if necessary. The Huawei backup tool might help here but I've never used it.

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Jonny Drama

Definitely try a reboot first.
    Then maybe a wipe/reset to factory defaults if necessary.
    You can backup stuff like texts, call lists, contacts (most easily to Google) etc. if necessary. The Huawei backup tool might help here but I've never used it.

Good luck! :)

Thanks TM.

I searched for everything except 'blob' :D

My phone has become almost unusable this last 24 hours. It freezes up completely every time I use n7player (music) or bsplayer (video) and spits out YouTube crash errors on startup. Time to try another ROm maybe.
    Have you tried blowing your phone! :D

http://www.modaco.com/topic/353701-intermittent-blob-appearing-inside-the-screen/page__st__120#entry2025083

Or the suction cup approach...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

New Cyanogen 9.1 update released. Anyone install it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm on CM10 and I just spotted r4 and r5 updates.

Will download them both now one after the other. Not going to risk jumping from r3 to r5.

Wish me luck!

Actually you might be better off doing a wipe/clean install of R5. My experience with custom ROMs is that in general doing a full wipe/clean install often results in more stable results than doing an incremental upgrade. Obviously you can backup data and apps etc. if necessary.

I'm still on R1 and will be doing a clean install of R5 as soon as I can get around to it (and I said that about R2 ages ago! :o).

I know and you're totally right, but I'm just too lazy. I've had to do so many clean instals in the last few months (due to my own incompetence and inability to read basic instructions) that I think I'll try the upgrades first. If I have trouble then I'll go to a clean wipe, but I do hate having to set up my phone again and get it all the way I like it. :(

Have you suffered with:
    a) video faults on apps like netflix and Film on TV?
    b) total loss of phone signal regularly?

I'm a member on modaco and I've asked about the phone signal a few times and very few people seem to see it as as big a problem as myself.

I know what you mean about clean installs being a pain! Probably no harm in trying an incremental update (don't think you have to do R4 and R5 - just skip straight to R5) and then seeing if you have problems as you say.

I've no experience with Netflix - sorry.
    Also don't get the total loss of signal issue.

My main issues right now on R1 are:

(1) Occasional sporadic reboot (at least I haven't been able to pin this down/diagnose it since it's so unpredictable)
    (2) Flash content on websites doesn't work (maybe known issue?) but YouTube does (maybe HTML5 rather than Flash?)
    (3) Can receive but not send MMS and I'm pretty sure it's not my APN config etc. - not a big deal for me though
    (4) Can't get portable wifi hotspot working - not sure if it works unsecured but not secured?
    (5) Not sure if GPS location is working or just very slow sometimes - Google maps location works but might be using AGPS or something like that most of the time.
    (6) Call sound quality (for the person to whom I'm speaking) may not be great - but not clear if that's the phone/ROM's fault
    (7) Camera apps (e.g. barcode scanner) won't work for me - might be improved/fixed since R1?
    (8) Having to disable hw overlays each time - didn't get around to editing build.prop yet but that's done by default in more recent releases I believe

Having said all that I also haven't really done that much in terms of playing with apps etc. so there could be other issues - fixed or extant... :-)

The signal thing may be just a problem with me.

1) I've only been getting this very recently on r3, but I have to keep rebooting anyway due to the signal error.
    2) I only really use tapatalk and facebook. Very rarely use the browser. (use opera browser and it doesn't crash though)
    3) Haven't tried
    4) Haven't tried
    5) Seems OK for me on very limited use.
    6) No complaints but I don't use it for calling a lot.
    7) Same. Camera apps not working so hopefully that will improve (ill let you know)
    8) Same. Hopefully r5 will sort this.

• Advertisement

Cheers.

Re #2 - I've just used the stock browser to date and I never experienced the browser/JavaScript problems/crashes that others seemed to get. Just that some or all flash content doesn't work on web pages.

Re #5 - as I said I'm not sure if/how GPS is working. I did run the GPS Test app a few times and sometimes it seemed to have great difficulty getting a GPS fix. On the other hand Google maps location and navigation seems to work adequately so not a showstopper...

It seems that different people/phones/upgrade paths etc. throw up different problems and many are not experienced across the board.

With regard to your signal loss issue I don't know if there's any possibility of it being down to your GB/ICS/custom ROM upgrade path and, in particular, your RIL upgrade path and current RIL? There are some anecdotal reports of people improving such problems by changing/flashing RILs but the whole area is very confusing to me to be honest.

Part of the problem is that much of the info about bugs and recommendations is anecdotal so it's difficult to know what's genuine and authoritative. But again I guess that goes with the territory of hacking your phone... :)

I know what you mean about clean installs being a pain! Probably no harm in trying an incremental update (don't think you have to do R4 and R5 - just skip straight to R5) and then seeing if you have problems as you say.

I've no experience with Netflix - sorry.
    Also don't get the total loss of signal issue.

My main issues right now on R1 are:

(1) Occasional sporadic reboot (at least I haven't been able to pin this down/diagnose it since it's so unpredictable)
    (2) Flash content on websites doesn't work (maybe known issue?) but YouTube does (maybe HTML5 rather than Flash?)
    (3) Can receive but not send MMS and I'm pretty sure it's not my APN config etc. - not a big deal for me though
    (4) Can't get portable wifi hotspot working - not sure if it works unsecured but not secured?
    (5) Not sure if GPS location is working or just very slow sometimes - Google maps location works but might be using AGPS or something like that most of the time.
    (6) Call sound quality (for the person to whom I'm speaking) may not be great - but not clear if that's the phone/ROM's fault
    (7) Camera apps (e.g. barcode scanner) won't work for me - might be improved/fixed since R1?
    (8) Having to disable hw overlays each time - didn't get around to editing build.prop yet but that's done by default in more recent releases I believe

Having said all that I also haven't really done that much in terms of playing with apps etc. so there could be other issues - fixed or extant... :-)

What benefits does JB bring that outweighs these niggles?

What benefits does JB bring that outweighs these niggles?

It's at least 23% cooler to say you have JB.

Really that's about it. ;)

Jayop wrote: »
    It's at least 23% cooler to say you have JB.

Really that's about it. ;)

Good to know :D I've been wondering if JB had improved anything on my tablet and was leaning towards this being the number one change.

In all seriousness I've not found anything really worth singing about on JB that ICS didn't have, and with ICS I was able to use apps like FilmonTV which I really miss.

I'll download that now and let you know if it's working.

Edit: I guess Googke now, but I don't use it.

Well for me it's more a case of preferring CyanogenMod over other ROMs right now and I just thought I'd go with CM10 (JB) for the moment. I haven't really played with CM9.1 at all. I also thought that a non stock based ROM might be better in that it would not suffer from problems inherent in the Huawei ROMs (and kernel?!).

I still have no idea what is the "best" ROM even under specific headings - e.g. stability, speed, features, battery life etc. and it's difficult to get a clear view on that from reading the forums etc. I'm just continuing to work with CM10 and see how it goes. If I continue to have problems I'll try something else - e.g. CM9.1, Meija, Stock+ or Infusion (although now that tillaz has seemingly called it a day that one might be on the way to being a lost cause?).

Or maybe I would be better off back on stock ICS?!? :):o

The stock ICS was grand, but I hated all the vodafone rubbish that they make you keep along with crappy demos of games that I'll never play. That was the reason I went custom. My wife has a G300 and she's happy out on the stock ICS.

Different strokes for different folks.

The stock ICS was grand, but I hated all the vodafone rubbish that they make you keep along with crappy demos of games that I'll never play. That was the reason I went custom.
    Couldn't you have rooted and then used something like ROM Toolbox to freeze or even uninstall Vodafone crapware?

Probably, but when I started messing I didn't know that and once I started I couldn't stop. I'm a total disaster with things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

This is the one I've been using for the past week. http://www.modaco.com/topic/360256-romjb412-maridroi-m2-1801-based-on-shendu-130118/. I find it rock solid. No reboots or behaviour of that kind Its based on the Chinese Shendu rom. If any of you try Shendu itself, its full of Chinese rubbish. You can delete all the rubbish with Rom Toolbox. With Marcar's adaption, all the Chinese rubbish is gone, apart form 1 or 2 instances.

• Advertisement

Probably, but when I started messing I didn't know that and once I started I couldn't stop. I'm a total disaster with things like this.
    Tell me about it! :o:D

This is the one I've been using for the past week. http://www.modaco.com/topic/360256-romjb412-maridroi-m2-1801-based-on-shendu-130118/. I find it rock solid. No reboots or behaviour of that kind Its based on the Chinese Shendu rom. If any of you try Shendu itself, its full of Chinese rubbish. You can delete all the rubbish with Rom Toolbox. With Marcar's adaption, all the Chinese rubbish is gone, apart form 1 or 2 instances.
    Yet another ROM! ;)
    I'm sure that once the novelty wears off I'll be looking for something rock solid so might have a look at this. You may have said before but have you tried (m)any of the other G300 ROMs and concluded that this is the most stable in your experience? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yet another ROM! ;)
    I'm sure that once the novelty wears off I'll be looking for something rock solid so might have a look at this. You may have said before but have you tried (m)any of the other G300 ROMs and concluded that this is the most stable in your experience? Thanks.

Well, IMHO, there is little to choose between Miejarom and this MariDroi one. Call quality is crystal clear with both. Its just the layout of the Shedu-based version is more to my liking. If it matters, there's no radio with MariDroid. To get one I downloaded Tune-in from the market.

Do clean installs for all roms, so as to avoid any rubbish remaining, or conflicts.Also download gapps for jb. MariDroid works on Android 4.1.2.

I seem to have run out of internal memory and apps haven't got any space to update. I can't seem to move anything to the SD card (app could not be moved) from within the apps list. Do I need to install an app2sd app first or is there something else I should try?
    If it matters, there's no radio with MariDroid. To get one I downloaded Tune-in from the market.
    Does TuneIn let you use the FM receiver in the phone or just stream over the network?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I seem to have run out of internal memory and apps haven't got any space to update. I can't seem to move anything to the SD card (app could not be moved) from within the apps list. Do I need to install an app2sd app first or is there something else I should try?

it depends on the app whether it is possible to move it to SD. If you are rooted you can use "Link2SD" which will move any app.
    Does TuneIn let you use the FM receiver in the phone or just stream over the network?

its just internet radio

Link2Int (a mod of Link2SD) to use the otherwise unused internal 2GB partition might also be relevant here? But check that it works with your ROM - definitely CM9 and CM10 compatible and I'm pretty sure that it works with some other ROMs with init.d support:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359125-mod-link2int-v11-cm9cm10-compatible-0312/

When using this mod you REALLY do not want to be using the 2GB Internal storage for any other use

I'm using Cyanogen 9. Is it safe to flash this, do you think? I don't think the 2GB is wasted space. In the Storage section of Apps it says 1.85GB available of 2.05GB total and in Windows I see this:
    f0v0jnQ.jpg

Might need to move that stuff to the SD card somehow.

I'm pretty sure that it's safe and that the 2GB is otherwise wasted. My understanding is that the 2GB becomes the (internal) sdcard partition if you do not install a micro sdcard but if you do then it is generally wasted. When you have an "external" sdcard installed then the 2GB should appear as the /HWUserData partition/mount (e.g. in a root/superuser file browser app or a terminal session). Or if you plug the phone into your PC and enable USB file sharing you should see two drives - one for your "external" sdcard and one for this 2GB partition. It should be empty other than perhaps and empty LOST.DIR in which case you are not using it for other storage. Hope that makes sense but as ever if you are not sure try reading the link2int thread and search for other references to it in other threads (particularly the CM9 thread since that's what you're using).

Hope this helps.

only the n7player and download folders have any real content. I'll read up a bit and back those up in case before installing.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the download folder is from doing a stock update with no sdcard installed? Does it contain an update.app or something like that?

Not sure about the n7player folder but I presume it's related to that app? Did you ever specify use internal storage as default or something like that (not sure what options are available in CM9 in this context)?

Advertisement