Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fallaci

Does anyone know how to sim unlock the phoneafter putting cm9 on it? Have the unlocking code but when I stick nonvodafone sim doesn't ask me for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

fallaci wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to sim unlock the phoneafter putting cm9 on it? Have the unlocking code but when I stick nonvodafone sim doesn't ask me for it

It will only ask for the code on stock roms

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Please help. I downloaded the latest firmware 4.0.3 from the original set-up and now I can't make or receive calls. In system settings it now says: mobile network disconnected. What has happened? Im with O2. I had the phone unlocked.

Never mind lads. Ive sorted it. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Exactly what version were you on originally and exactly what version did you install? If you can post links to the downloads that might help. Or did you just do the updates OTA (over the air?). It's possible that you flashed a ROM that does not match your RIL (Radio Interface Layer) and that is why things don't work now. I have seen reports of that happening.

Glad to hear you got it sorted. What did you do?

BTW - on a more general point Dazzozo has just posted his 10.1 ROM and it sounds like it's looking good.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/360515-jb-421-cyanogenmod-101-rom-last-updated-2701/

Going to try it later. My main problem with the phone generally is the infamous "G3 reboot" issue. The hypothesis is that this happens when 3G (data?) is enabled, the phone is in screen off/sleep mode and it is hunting between multiple masts to get the best connection. However it's not 100% clear what the cause is. Switching to 2G mode (manually via notification bar toggles or automatically using something Llama although I haven't tried that app yet) seems to prevent this happening and is what I am doing for now. There are anecdotal reports that flashing certain RIL versions (if they are compatible with your most recent official stock update) may help but nothing authoritative/clear....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cyanogen 9.1 with 3.0 kernel just dropped. I thought I read that it had power saving modes added but can't see them in settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

TM wrote: »
    Exactly what version were you on originally and exactly what version did you install? If you can post links to the downloads that might help. Or did you just do the updates OTA (over the air?). It's possible that you flashed a ROM that does not match your RIL (Radio Interface Layer) and that is why things don't work now. I have seen reports of that happening.

BTW - on a more general point Dazzozo has just posted his 10.1 ROM and it sounds like it's looking good.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/360515-jb-421-cyanogenmod-101-rom-last-updated-2701/

Going to try it later. My main problem with the phone generally is the infamous "G3 reboot" issue. The hypothesis is that this happens when 3G (data?) is enabled, the phone is in screen off/sleep mode and it is hunting between multiple masts to get the best connection. However it's not 100% clear what the cause is. Switching to 2G mode (manually via notification bar toggles or automatically using something Llama although I haven't tried that app yet) seems to prevent this happening and is what I am doing for now. There are anecdotal reports that flashing certain RIL versions (if they are compatible with your most recent official stock update) may help but nothing authoritative/clear....

mine reboots as I'm walking home each evening in the exact same location - from what you're saying maybe its on the border between 2 cell.

I'm running Infusion and its really sluggish (probably the original Huawei ICS ROM is to blame). Is CM any better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

TM wrote: »

I updated to 10.1 last night. First OTA, but it was buggy so I did a full wip and re-install with Gapps. It's actually really good and has cleared up a lot of the errors I had. Also, switching to 2G seems to have stopped my call dropping issue and as I never sue mobile internet it's not an issue for me.

loyatemu wrote: »
    mine reboots as I'm walking home each evening in the exact same location - from what you're saying maybe its on the border between 2 cell.
    What I posted above is just a hypothesis at the moment but the best one that I've seen yet! :) Some guy posted details on MoDaCo but I can't find the post right now. Basically as I mentioned above if you are on 3G, and data is enabled (not sure about this), and the phone is in screen off/sleep mode and (the very speculative bit) it has a few cells to choose from THEN it you may get these reboots. It certainly looks like switching to 2G when sleeping and back to 3G when using the phone for data access mitigates or works around this. Since I've done that I haven't had a reboot and I regularly get them around town (D7/1) when 3G (including data) is enabled. Battery life seems better too but I guess that stands to reason (3G v 2G)?

Try switching to 2G before the journey home next time and see what happens maybe? You can enabled the 2G/3G toggle in the notification bar for ease of access. Or try using the likes of Tasker (?) or Llama to go 3G -> 2G when going into screen off/sleep mode and back when being woken up?
    I'm running Infusion and its really sluggish (probably the original Huawei ICS ROM is to blame). Is CM any better?
    I've found CM10 (R1) quite responsive but can't compare it to Infusion as I had it installed only briefly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm using CM9 at the moment but I might give 10 a go soon if it's improved since the last update. I would say it is a little smoother compared to Infusion but that's to be expected considering Huawei crippled their stock rom (and therefore roms based on it).

Thank god for CM I say. I had CM7 (and even 9!) running on my VF Smart and it was such an improvement on the stock VF rom.

Adyx wrote: »
    I'm using CM9 at the moment but I might give 10 a go soon if it's improved since the last update. I would say it is a little smoother compared to Infusion but that's to be expected considering Huawei crippled their stock rom (and therefore roms based on it).

Thank god for CM I say. I had CM7 (and even 9!) running on my VF Smart and it was such an improvement on the stock VF rom.

Honestly I wasn't so impressed with cm10, but since I went to 10.1 last night I've not encountered as many problems.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Me too - CM 7.2 on Vodafone Smart/Huawei U8160 and really liked it. I still have the phone for messing around with and stuck CM 9 on it but haven't had a chance to play with it much. :pac:

The battery use has gone to absolute bits on me since yesterday. I was getting the days of moderate use it of a charge, now I can see it dropping before mutt eyes at about one per cent every two minutes. App updates are hanging and failing as well. This is with version 9.1 experimental

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

I know I've said it before but I love the meijarom from modaco. Haven't had any glitches whatsoever, no restarts, and no freezes or sluggishness, great battery life.

switched from Infusion to CM10.1 Early days, but it seems quicker and more stable (and for the first ever on either the G300 or my previous OSF, the apps re-downloaded themselves automatically).

Installed CM10.1 yesterday and so far so good. Very good ROM for a first release.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mitekey

Thanks for the great thread, its sold me on the G300s due to feedback you guys are giving the Roms (and price!). I have a question for those who bought this phone since I didn't see any mention of it in the last 70-odd pages). I'm buying 2 of these phones so organised for 2 of the tesco cards to be sent out but I got a little impatient after reading through the rest of the thread and started scouting around. Came across this:

http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/Product/strong-Huawei-strongAscend-G300-Black/238591/1_3

I headed out to a local branch this morning and tried to buy 2 of them but the guy charged me 300 instead of 260. I told him I was just checking the site and he said that the 130 is only for numbers switching to vodafone. I declined to buy the phones and just checked the site again. I can't see anywhere about it being 150 on either of the "new connection" or "upgrade" and when you go to buy them, the total cost is given as €259.98 on the same page as entering credit card details etc. I was hesitant after the trip to the shops so I rang 2 stores and neither knew what the price would be. Does anyone know if I'm somehow gonna be hit with another 40 euro charge if I buy from that site? Cheers!

On Vodafone.ie the G300 is definitely €149.99 normally and you get €20 off if you port a number from another operator over so you can get them for €129.99. (The phone has been sold at different prices at different times - e.g. I got it for €129.99 - €20 = €109.99 around September last - but it has been steady at €149.99 list price for months now).

The Carphone Warehouse website certainly suggests that they just charge €129.99. They cannot add €20 onto this without notifying you before you complete checkout so maybe try buying and see what happens? Maybe the sales assistant in store was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mitekey

Aye cheers, I ended up digging out an old 085 and transferring it over to get the 20 quid reduction and avoid the wait. If the tesco cards take their sweet time arriving I'll hit up the CW warehouse for the other phone. Now on to rooting!

If Carphone Warehouse are charging €149.99 unless you port a number then their website seems very misleading as it says it's €129.99 for a pay as you go upgrade or new connection with no other obvious terms & conditions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

On stock ICS (B934 I think..), I've been reading good things on modaco about CM 10.1, so want to give the update a go. In case it goes haywire, what's the best way to back everything up so I can revert to ICS afterwards?

• Advertisement

I believe it's a nandroid back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

On stock ICS (B934 I think..), I've been reading good things on modaco about CM 10.1, so want to give the update a go. In case it goes haywire, what's the best way to back everything up so I can revert to ICS afterwards?

If you are rooted & have Superuser installed, you can download Rom Manager which will back-up everything for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I have been reading a load of negative reviews about this phone in relation to
    the battery life
    the audio jack breaking
    microphone not working
    not playing higher end videos
    the micro SD card slot not working well with lower end cards

what is the actual performance and reliability of the phone like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the battery life
    the audio jack breaking
    microphone not working

Where were you reading all this negative stuff? The phone is a budget price, but, similar to the ZTE Blade, it has features that phones twice the price have. It can easily be modded to your own preferences. It run the very latest Android system. Can be overclocked for maximum use.

Go back through this thread & you will learn all there is to be learned about it More info here http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

I can get three days of use out of mine before recharging so on that score I rate it very highly against similar spec phones.

No problem with the audio jack or microphone so far.

I do get freezes at times using BSPlayer and n7player - not sure if the phone, the ROM or the app is at fault here.

I have had occasional problems with the microSD card going AWOL. It's a cheap microSD card and I've had similar issues with other phones.

The worst aspect of the phone for me is the design of the screen/digitiser that leaves me with regular 'thumbprints' on the screen that take some fiddling to remove.

the battery life

Depends on the ROM - its ok with the Huawei-based ones but you'd still want to charge it overnight (which is my experience with most smartphones)
    the audio jack breaking
    microphone not working

these haven't happened to me

It won't play HD stuff (this may be because the screen doesn't have the resolution)

I bought a cheap 16GB card off Amazon, it works fine

Again depends on the ROM - its a cheap phone, its not perfect, but I don't think there's anything better for < €150. If you have more money to spend, buy an S3.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

the battery life
    the audio jack breaking
    microphone not working

Battery life I could get 3 days I reckon
    Audio and mic .. I haven't any probs
    Plays videos fine for me
    No problem with sd card
    It's obviously not same quality as a Samsung galaxy s3 but for the price its still amazing value for money.

I just went back to infusion ICS.

Pissed off with the Signal drops so just trying anything now.

Jayop wrote: »
    I just went back to infusion ICS.
    From what?

I'm on CM10.1 and have found it pretty good especially for a first release.

I can't send (but can receive) MMS messages but almost certainly that's my settings and not the ROM.

I do have the sporadic "3G reboot" problem but that's not a ROM specific issue and I am testing a new bootloader from Dazzozo on MoDaCo that claims to fix or mitigate it. In any case toggling to 2G on sleep/screen off is probably better since it saves the battery.

I'm getting about a day and a half battery lifetime but obviously what you get depends on how you use the phone and what you have enabled etc. My experience generally is also that you have to consider charging a SmartPhone every day or two anyway.

• Advertisement

from 10.1

the big issue I had was constant loss of signal that needed a reboot to solve. I'm hoping this might work, but it may have nothing to do with it at all. Also, Filmon TV didn't work with any of the CM mods but it works with infusion and that's a huge plus for me.

So far so good really.

Advertisement