Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Have you used any of the CM ROMS (9, 10 or 10.1) and if so how does Stock+ compare in your opinion? I'm probably going to give it at least a quick spin when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

TM wrote: »
    Have you used any of the CM ROMS (9, 10 or 10.1) and if so how does Stock+ compare in your opinion? I'm probably going to give it at least a quick spin when I get a chance.

Yep. The JB roms are based on CM 10.0 &10.1. The Shendu & its variant were the most solid. Have'nt tested Stock Plus R3 yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm getting seriously pissed off with this phone at this stage. It's riddled with niggly little bugs and I seem to spend more time trying to fix them than actually use the thing. For example it just keeps randomly losing the SD card or deciding it's corrupt when there's no sign of any problem with the card, then working fine after a reboot until it suddenly just forgets how to read it again. This is the second card it's happened with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

I'm getting seriously pissed off with this phone at this stage. It's riddled with niggly little bugs and I seem to spend more time trying to fix them than actually use the thing. For example it just keeps randomly losing the SD card or deciding it's corrupt when there's no sign of any problem with the card, then working fine after a reboot until it suddenly just forgets how to read it again. This is the second card it's happened with.

Hi pick!!

Just a little thing from Cyda, famous over on Modaco for Stock+ ROM and his Mod relating to Link2Int mod [Apps on 2GB Internal SD]

This is his advice regarding dodgy SD cards, and the best format options....
    Cyda wrote:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/360947-romics-stock-rom-b960-r3-updated-26-02/page__st__160#entry2095156

This random internal/external thing is because of the way Huawei have their internal and external storage config. It seems if the sdcard doesn't respond fast enough then the storage is switched to internal.

I fixed this on my phone by buying a new decent sdcard (I needed a bigger card anyway) but my friend had this issue at the weekend and it was resolved by formatting the sdcard with the official sdcard formatter - if you have ever formatted your sdcard in Windows then you have already degraded its performance, use the sdcard formatter if you want the best performance.

Since using that tool my friends sdcard mounts first every time and has not switched to internal once. Apart from offering this advice there is _nothing_ I can do about the problem as I refuse to start messing about switching internal/external file tables around because it causes more issues than it fixes.

You could try his advice, and you could do worse than using his Stock+ which seems to be knocking all others outta the park.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nice one. I'll run it through that formatter and hope for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Sick of the JB Roms, think I'm on CM10.1 now but I reckon I'll move back to one of the ICS Roms later.

Actually, "downgrading" from JB to ICS. Is there anything other that the usual ROM install method that I'd need to do? Or is it just, download the .zip, put it on my sd and flash it from CWM?

Actually, "downgrading" from JB to ICS. Is there anything other that the usual ROM install method that I'd need to do? Or is it just, download the .zip, put it on my sd and flash it from CWM?

If you have CWM 6.0 or higher, you can do as you propose. Thats what I've done. Make sure you do a back-up, just in case anything goes wrong.Also do all the wipes listed in CWM. Stock Plus R4 is the latest ICS rom, released by Cyda today. All his roms are excellent.

I switched from CM10.1 to Stock+ last night. I liked CM10.1 but, like others, I found it becoming laggy after a while and there to be a few too many quirks/issues with it. Obviously early days with Stock+ but looks good so far. I installed Nova as I found the default launcher (2D Home?) a bit limited and hate the way it won't sort apps. I'll see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Another happy user of stock + here, on R2 almost a week, I think R3 and R4 are more cosmetic changes but will have a closer look this weekent.

Very usable and stable rom. I'm not a heavy user by any means, but getting at least 2-3 days on the battery whereas on stock B952, 2 days was stretching it

• Advertisement

If you have CWM 6.0 or higher, you can do as you propose. Thats what I've done. Make sure you do a back-up, just in case anything goes wrong.Also do all the wipes listed in CWM. Stock Plus R4 is the latest ICS rom, released by Cyda today. All his roms are excellent.

Installed the R4 Stock+ last night. Have all my Apps back up and running again. So much more enjoyable than CM10.1.

Actually also just bought the unlock code on eBay there. Moving to Three. Adios Vodafone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Does anyone have a link to cwm6. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Installed the R4 Stock+ last night. Have all my Apps back up and running again. So much more enjoyable than CM10.1.

Actually also just bought the unlock code on eBay there. Moving to Three. Adios Vodafone!

Have just downloaded and installed R4, used GObackup to back up everything first so am hoping it all works out OK, currently restoring the backup so fingers are crossed.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link to cwm6. Thanks.
    This is the one that I use:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359191-recovery-cwm-clockworkmod-recovery-v6027-touch-hybrid-cm-last-updated-1601/

eamonnq wrote: »
    Have just downloaded and installed R4, used GObackup to back up everything first so am hoping it all works out OK, currently restoring the backup so fingers are crossed.
    Did you do a CWM/Nandroid backup of the full system first just in case things do go wrong?!

Did you do a CWM/Nandroid backup of the full system first just in case things do go wrong?!

Ah jaysus no, that would make too much sense!!

All seems to have gone smoothly, except my street view appears to be gone missing from my maps options . Shows as installed when I go to the Play Store, but no sign of it anywhere!!!

I had that with Street View when I went straight to Stock+ R4. It was listed as installed but there was no evidence of it anywhere other than if I hit "my location" in Maps and chose Street View. Is there usually an app icon for it? I can't remember...

I had a look at this but I'm a little confused. What link do i use, is it repack or touch hybrid? I currently have cwm4 but I believe 6 is alot faster. A zip file would be easier to load through cwm but I don't know which is the correct option. Thanks

I used the last link (Touch Hybrid ZIP) and flashed it from another version of CWM (or possibly TWRP) that I had installed at the time.

BTW - Stock+ R5 with some small updates is coming soon according to Cyda.

• Advertisement

I used the last link (Touch Hybrid ZIP) and flashed it from another version of CWM (or possibly TWRP) that I had installed at the time.

Worked perfectly.Thanks for your help.

I had that with Street View when I went straight to Stock+ R4. It was listed as installed but there was no evidence of it anywhere other than if I hit "my location" in Maps and chose Street View. Is there usually an app icon for it? I can't remember...

I was not getting that option when I was in maps, but it appears to have sorted itself and is now back working.

Had a few issues where apps were showing as 'installed' but I could not access them, or find them in the app drawer, so have reflashed the rom, and did not restore my backup but just let the Google 'sync' thing work away and I think all my apps are back there now, with little or no input from me.

Am going to use the Link2SD app to move most of the apps to SD card also, so hopefully won't break anything in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

Has anybody tried CM7 for baseband 2030? http://www.modaco.com/topic/361013-gb-237-cyanogenmod-7-for-2030-baseband-26022013/

I've been messing around now with this for the past hour, after having stock+ R2 installed,
    the phone is very very responsive and internet rendering is flawless.

Everything seems to be working, have it overclocked using KERNAL-SEMENTAL-GB-1.3GHZ running at 1.22ghz no reboots so far and wireless and 3g working.

Maybe people don't want to be on gingerbread but if you want a phone that is very fast
    and works without any problems this is the rom for you.

0066ad wrote: »
    Has anybody tried CM7 for baseband 2030? http://www.modaco.com/topic/361013-gb-237-cyanogenmod-7-for-2030-baseband-26022013/

I've been messing around now with this for the past hour, after having stock+ R2 installed,
    the phone is very very responsive and internet rendering is flawless.

Everything seems to be working, have it overclocked using KERNAL-SEMENTAL-GB-1.3GHZ running at 1.22ghz no reboots so far and wireless and 3g working.

Maybe people don't want to be on gingerbread but if you want a phone that is very fast
    and works without any problems this is the rom for you.

You'd want to give it the week-end at least before saying its the bee's knees. You might find that it dose'nt boot up in the morning:).I've been through most of the JB & ICS roms and have come to the conclusion that, on balance, a rom that is based on the latest stock rom is the least likely to give grief.

eamonnq wrote: »
    Am going to use the Link2SD app to move most of the apps to SD card also, so hopefully won't break anything in the process.
    Just to clarify - Cyda's link2sd is actually his link2int modded version which links to the otherwise unused 2GB internal "sdcard" and not to a second ext* partition on the external sdcard as the regular link2sd does. Not sure if you know that already? And he has a post today about using TWRP rather than CWM if you want to do a Nandroid backup that backups everything INCLUDING this internal 2GB "sdcard" if you have used his link2int to move apps out to it. Or are using it for other storage purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

You'd want to give it the week-end at least before saying its the bee's knees. You might find that it dose'nt boot up in the morning:).I've been through most of the JB & ICS roms and have come to the conclusion that, on balance, a rom that is based on the latest stock rom is the least likely to give grief.

I've been through all the roms also and imo the phone runs best with the hardware it came with, which is gingerbread.

When I first upgraded to ics from gingerbread I was so pissed off with the phones performance, it seemed like it was half the phone it use to be and
    quickly downgraded back to gingerbread.

The only reason I upgraded again was to try the JB roms to have the latest
    firmware that was available but it had lots of bugs and drained the battery very fast, then downgraded to b952 slim and from that to stock+R2.

Seen a version of gingerbread today on the 2030 baseband so didn't have
    to do the risky download, just it flash through cwm without any problems
    and glad to have gingerbread back on the phone the ics huawei passed
    through was a shambles, you should try it and see for yourself :)

jgbyr wrote: »
    Worked perfectly.Thanks for your help.
    Great! :)

The so called "3G reboot" thing is doing my head in and there doesn't seem to be any reliable fix to it. I tried the modified bootloader and the reboots seemed fewer but still too many. I was using Llama to automate the 2G/3G toggle on screen off/on but that only works with CM ROMs. Anybody got any suggestions...? :(

Even the ROM chef bills it as alpha - that's enough to put me off right now. But then again if this was the thing that solved the "3G reboot" problem I might be more interested. But nobody truly seems to know what causes this and there's a lot of speculation as far as I can see...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

I made a complete balls of this phone ever since ICS installed, kepyad doesnt repond sometimes, wont answer calls, painfully slow etc. etc. would i be better shifting from the stock rom, if so how do i go about it?

Advertisement