Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

TM wrote: »
    Even the ROM chef bills it as alpha - that's enough to put me off right now. But then again if this was the thing that solved the "3G reboot" problem I might be more interested. But nobody truly seems to know what causes this and there's a lot of speculation as far as I can see...

Is that 3g reboot prob not caused by the use of GB Bootloader on phone with ICS/JB, where Huawei locked the Bootloader??

There seems to be no real fix until Huawei release the ICS/JB bootloader code??

Have I got it wrong??

If so, apologies.

That CM 7 on 2030 looks verrrry good, just to get a functional, fast and battery efficient device........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Is that 3g reboot prob not caused by the use of GB Bootloader on phone with ICS/JB, where Huawei locked the Bootloader??
    That's one theory but as far as I can see nobody knows for sure. All the info about this issue and proposed solutions (none of which seem to work in all cases as far as I can see) is very anecdotal. I have been meaning to try to investigate a bit myself - e.g. capture logs/kmsg when it happens to see if there's any useful info there but haven't had a chance so far. The problem is that it usually happens when on the move around town and it's difficult to start debugging your phone in those circumstances! :D
    There seems to be no real fix until Huawei release the ICS/JB bootloader code??
    Again that's a hypothesis but I have seen no convincing explanation of why this would necessarily fix it.

A while back all the theories seemed to be about the problem residing in the RIL. Then the focus changed to the bootloader. I don't think that anybody really understands the problem (never mind the solution) properly yet.

I really wish that there was a known fix for the 3G reboot problem but on the other hand I'm finding that using 2G normally and 3G only on demand (unfortunately manually since I cannot automate this on non CM ROMs using the likes of Llama :() probably doubles my battery lifetime so I might just stick with that approach.
    That CM 7 on 2030 looks verrrry good, just to get a functional, fast and battery efficient device........
    I have been running Stock+ R4 for a few days now and I find it pretty good.

I made a complete balls of this phone ever since ICS installed, kepyad doesnt repond sometimes, wont answer calls, painfully slow etc. etc. would i be better shifting from the stock rom, if so how do i go about it?
    I never ran stock ICS for very long but the word seems to be that it's crap. A custom ROM might be a better bet but it will require unlocking the boot loader and rooting. And there is a danger that you may end up with the "3G reboot" problem that I (and others) have and the cause of which is unclear (as mentioned above some people thought it was different RILs (Radio Interface Layers) while others think it's something to do with unlocking the bootloader).

Another option is to downgrade to stock GB which I believe runs better than stock ICS but still has various issues:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/358872-how-to-restore-gb-from-ics/

Hope this helps.

snip.......snip......

I really wish that there was a known fix for the 3G reboot problem but on the other hand I'm finding that using 2G normally and 3G only on demand (unfortunately manually since I cannot automate this on non CM ROMs using the likes of Llama :() probably doubles my battery lifetime so I might just stick with that approach.

I have been running Stock+ R4 for a few days now and I find it pretty good.

I think what you said there, bolded, is the secret to prolonged Battery life, for sure. That and screen brightness as low as feasible.

I am just referring to the G300, which my wife has, my own Samsung S3 is a dog on Battery, but down to usage I think.

My missus phone is still on GB, so I need to prise it from her hands to try any upgrade....and that means going to ICS according to Firmware Update.

She is not too bothered about ICS/JB or anything like that, just wants the phone to work, and be fairly rapid.....

and it appears that going to ICS or JB definitely is more laggy and slower than GB, so is Stock+ worth it??

I would do it in a flash, but from her "cold dead hands" ;)

I think what you said there, bolded, is the secret to prolonged Battery life, for sure. That and screen brightness as low as feasible.
    Ah - so it's not just me?! :D There's a guy on MoDaCo claiming 6 days battery lifetime with Stock+!!! I find that difficult to believe... I have auto brightness on at the moment but I suppose I could live with a static low brightness setting.
    and it appears that going to ICS or JB definitely is more laggy and slower than GB, so is Stock+ worth it??
    I found CM10.1 a bit laggy but Stock+ seems very responsive to me so far although it's still early days. Some of the other ROMs might also be an option - e.g. Slim, Infusion etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Cyda has released R6 of Stock Plus over at Modaco.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

jgbyr wrote: »
    Cyda has released R6 of Stock Plus over at Modaco.

Have it installed. Excellent Rom. I see you're still online there:D.

Have it installed. Excellent Rom. I see you're still online there:D.
    Yep, just keeping an eye on things in case there are any issues with it.:) Shouldn't be though.

Looking forward to trying it soon - still on R4 and find that pretty good.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Got scammed on the money-back offer from Huawei. I got the phone a week after ordering it a and sent back the papers the next day. Just got a letter saying they won't reimburse me because it took more than a week after purchase to send them.

Arseholes.

• Advertisement

Apologies if it was mentioned before but what was the money back offer and where did you buy it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thats news to me as well:). Anyway the phone is down to £84.99 on Amazon.co.uk. And with the Euro above 87p as of now, this phone is an even better bargain. Locked to Voda UK, but can easily be unlocked.

Seems to be GBP£84.99 plus £25 P&P to Ireland as far as I can see so that's c. €125.

It's down to €120 on Vodafone Ireland: http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300
    Port a number and you get €20 off.
    And you might also get another €24 back via FatCheese (http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/vodafone-ireland/) although I've always found the likes of FatCheese and BeThrifty to be very hit and miss and very slow to get the money back when they did work

So you can get it locally for €100 or maybe €76 if FatCheese cashback works.

Seems to be GBP£84.99 plus £25 P&P to Ireland as far as I can see so that's c. €125.

The postage is free. Amazon is the cheapest place but they don't have stock right now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Apologies if it was mentioned before but what was the money back offer and where did you buy it from?

Maybe it was only in France (sorry, thought it was a worldwide Huawei thing) but they offered €30 cashback on the purchase of the phone in Nov-Jan when sending back the invoice and barcode.

The postage is free.
    Sorry - I misread "min spend = £25" as the shipping fee outside of the UK!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vodafone-Huawei-Ascend-Smartphone-Silver/dp/B0089C9H4G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362755942&sr=8-1#lbhuc_258844
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=mk_sss_dp_1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200039400&pop-up=1
    Amazon is the cheapest place but they don't have stock right now.
    True but marginal. And academic if they don't have it! :)

£85 =~ €98 (according to XE.com) and probably more €100 when CC/forex charges are included. Vodafone are selling it for €120 and you can get at least €20 off by porting a number in. And maybe another €24 (eventually!) via FatCheese.

The postage is free. Amazon is the cheapest place but they don't have stock right now.

Yeah, it is actually slightly dearer [£87.12] cos of higher VAT in Ireland, see pic:

amazon_order.jpg

That's about €100.00

Voda here would be about €10 dearer, with the €20 discount for switching your [Tesco] number.....

It says.....Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 months.

Voda here would be about €10 dearer, with the €20 discount for switching your [Tesco] number.....
    No - it's €120 on Vodafone minus €20 for porting a number in = €100.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

You could also try for the FatCheese €24 cashback as a bonus 3 months down the line - if you're lucky! :D

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/vodafone-ireland/

No - it's €120 on Vodafone minus €20 for porting a number in = €100.

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones-and-plans/phones/pay-as-you-go/phone-details/huawei-ascend-g300

You could also try for the FatCheese €24 cashback as a bonus 3 months down the line - if you're lucky! :D

http://www.fatcheese.ie/cashback/vodafone-ireland/

You are right TM....they've only gone and dropped the base price again!!

price_drop.jpg

It was €129.99 up to very recently.

Good cop though.

Must check out that fatcheese site..didn't know about that.

Thanx.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mitekey

Installed Stock+ R6 and the phone is like lightning, thanks for the recommendation! I was a little shaky going through the steps but followed the guide to the letter and had no problems at all. It appears to have installed everything onto the SD which I should have paid attention to, as I've only got a temp 2gb card in there which I was planning on replacing with a bigger size. Can I just copy the whole SD and dump it on the replacement or will that disrupt how the phone is working?

• Advertisement

Mitekey wrote: »
    It appears to have installed everything onto the SD which I should have paid attention to, as I've only got a temp 2gb card in there which I was planning on replacing with a bigger size. Can I just copy the whole SD and dump it on the replacement or will that disrupt how the phone is working?
    Yep copy the card contents onto your pc & then move them to your new card. Works fine.

Must check out that fatcheese site..didn't know about that.

Thanx.
    As I said in my experience it can be hit and miss with the likes of Fatcheese and BeThrifty. I bought other phones and stuff through one or other and (evantually!) got cashback. But I bought my G300 via FatCheese and the purchase never got tracked for some reason... :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 329 ✭✭Cereal Number

anyone have a foolproof guide to rooting the device and getting rid of vodafone bloatware??

Thanks TM, did you remove any vodafone apps? also, can you remove the startup vodafone screen? and indeed for shutdown too??

Thanks TM, did you remove any vodafone apps? also, can you remove the startup vodafone screen? and indeed for shutdown too??
    Actually I did the stock Vodafone ota update to ics&2030 baseband and then rooted etc then installed custom Roms. Infusion then cm9 then cm10.1 and now stock+.

Actually I did the stock Vodafone ota update to ics&2030 baseband and then rooted etc then installed custom Roms. Infusion then cm9 then cm10.1 and now stock+.

I did all that too, last night, but straight from original GB to Stock+ !!!

Bloat will not exist after that, nor will Vodafone boot screen, installed with the ICS Upgrade.

I must say, following the first link, it brings you here, is the way to go, except for the bit about backing up your IMEI....... step 4.

[For some reason, the link http://tinyurl.com/g300backup was giving a 404 error last night, but it seems to be working now. [That was on the phone browser, but it was the same on my lap-top]

I didn't bother, I don't think there is much of a chance of losing your IMEI when using the OTA Upgrade option??

Anyway, IMEI is OK, but is it advisable to do the back-up now, as the link is working now?

I did all that too, last night, but straight from original GB to Stock+ !!!
    You mean you stayed on the 109808 GB baseband and installed Stock+ directly on top? I didn't think that you could do that since Stock+ is stock ICS (hence 2030 baseband) based. I know that in the last few days a few new mods have appeared from jsevi83 to allow ICS to run on the GB (109808) baseband and GB on the ICS (2030) baseband which solves a lot of problems - in particular makes downgrading/upgrading between ROM versions a lot easier and also holds out the prospect of no more G3 reboots if you run ICS with the original GB bootloader which is inherently unlocked. Haven't tried any of this yet myself though.
    I didn't bother, I don't think there is much of a chance of losing your IMEI when using the OTA Upgrade option??

Anyway, IMEI is OK, but is it advisable to do the back-up now, as the link is working now?
    Backing up the IMEI is really only necessary for those operations that require you to zero it (or which might unilaterally change it?). No harm in doing a 5irom backup now but recent developments (see above) may render IMEI hacking and backups unnecessary. The IMEI is always on the phone itself and box but I'm not sure if it's easy to get it into 5irom format if you need to restore it. I'd do the backup just in case. Minimal hassle for something that may be very important later or may remain unused. :)

Anyone have the meteor mms settings?

• Advertisement

Advertisement