Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best use of a 4 core cable

Options
  • 28-05-2012 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently had a look at the wiring left by my electrician in a new build and the majority of cables running to downstairs windows are 4 core. Unfortunately I only started looking at the alarm system now otherwise I'd have asked for more cores!

Based on reading a few threads on this forum I believe its best to keep inertia sensors and switches on separate zones, and I want both on each window.

I assume this means I'd need to use all 4 cores for sensors and have no tamper circuit? Or should I have a tamper as a preference to the switches?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

using dual end of line will allow you to have shocks and sensors on different zones

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You could get up to 3 zones on a 4 core providing its not a HKC panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

theexis wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently had a look at the wiring left by my electrician in a new build and the majority of cables running to downstairs windows are 4 core. Unfortunately I only started looking at the alarm system now otherwise I'd have asked for more cores!

Based on reading a few threads on this forum I believe its best to keep inertia sensors and switches on separate zones, and I want both on each window.

I assume this means I'd need to use all 4 cores for sensors and have no tamper circuit? Or should I have a tamper as a preference to the switches?

Lots of ways around this, what system are you installing?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭theexis

altor wrote: »
    Lots of ways around this, what system are you installing?

Planning to install a HKC panel, but might consider the Siemens 4000 series depending on the price (can anyone give me an idea on what that panel costs?).

So as it stands I have attached a HKC combined reed/inertia sensor to each window. It looks like I have around 7 windows on each loop. For a 4 core cable, what way do I need to wire things up to get the benefit of the 2 sensors and tamper?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

|Very little difference between the 2 . The Siemens would have more options & would also allow more flexibility with your 4 core cable. You also have the benefit of the browser for easier programming & set up.

• Advertisement

I found an old diagram from Altor describing how to wire the sensor I am installing:

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/231647/121467.pdf

Couple of questions:

1. What does the link between the 2 "T" terminals mean? Does this mean the Tamper just part of the regular loop with a different resistance rather than coming from a tamper specific loop?

2. For the link between terminals 1 and 2, this is just a short piece of spare insulated cable I assume, one of the cores from a offcut?

3. Since I have 5 sensors on the loop, would sensors 1-4 all be wired per "Sensor 1" in the diagram, then only last last sensor have resistors?

4. Whats the most common way to connect a resistor between a contact and the core - would I solder these?

Thanks for your help!

The T is the tamper. It is the middle two terminals of the sensor.
    This diagram shows how to connect the sensors on a loop.
    The reeds and shock part are combined on the zone.
    If you where putting the sensor and reed on the same zone then yes.
    Terminal block, gel crimp or soldier and put in a terminal block. As the joint is inside a sensor the terminal bock or gel crimp is good enough.

Thanks, I was wondering about the T terminals on the left (HKC ZONE) not the Tamper on the sensor. The diagram only shows 3 core in use, but I'm wondering if the diagram is implying T is looped as well, in which case I don't have enough cores for this.

When the zone is set up for dual end of line, the alarm terminals in the control panel are used. The link in the control panel is just closing off the tamper section to a zone in the panel. This is not used.

Advertisement