Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 Episode 9 - *Have Not Read The Books* *Spoilers* *Mod Note Post #1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

ziedth wrote: »
    I also think Tyrion is still alive. Loved his speech and the men chanting his name. Again he has the best line in the episode with Oh fuuck.

I think his exact words were: "Fück Me!" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Why does everyone think Sansa has fled? It left it open ended - she seemed to look like staying IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Why does everyone think Sansa has fled? It left it open ended - she seemed to look like staying IMO.

I thought the same thing. Was going to rewatch it tonight in case I missed something but I thought she stayed, or at least didn't give an answer either way

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Another excellent episode, in fact, all episodes have been excellent. It's rare there is a TV show that you can say that about.

I loved the final scene, Cersei so close to killing her son!
    Also, it was great how Cersei described what her role is in the room with the women, but just sat there getting tanked up instead, and then somewhat instictively, Sansa assumed that role when Cersei left the room.

The Hound being afraid of fire was something I was not expecting. Thinking back, you could see that he has a fondness for Sansa.....saving her from the beating/rape in Ep8 when Joffrey said to leave her.

It also feels like there is alot to tie up in the final episode of this season. I'm excited already to see what happens.
    But I dont think they could top the last scene of season 1........3 words, Dragons and Titties. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Penn wrote: »
    I thought the same thing. Was going to rewatch it tonight in case I missed something but I thought she stayed, or at least didn't give an answer either way

I thought the Hound started to leave and she got up to follow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

That was just fantastic! Some great one liners and some of the best and goriest battle scenes I've ever seen.*

Bit impetuos of Stanis to be first man up the (only) ladder his lads brought with them.

* Mental note to self. When storming city walls keep an eye out for falling rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

The trailer for next week tells you what sansa did, not sure if putting that up counts as spoilers, it also gives away some other issues.

I hope next week is a long episode and ties up most of the issues

Its good the way no characters are safe, you would have thought the way they were developing liam cunningham and his son, they would have lasted a bit longer

Hope Tyrian is alive, if he is i dont think he will get the credit he deserves

pauldoo wrote: »
    The trailer for next week tells you what sansa did, not sure if putting that up counts as spoilers, it also gives away some other issues.

Its good the way no characters are safe, you would have thought the way they were developing liam cunningham and his son, they would have lasted a bit longer

Hope Tyrian is alive, if he is i dont think he will get the credit he deserves

I wonder if Tyrion will still be Hand since Tywin is here now. Maybe because of how well Tyrion did, Tywin might actually let him stay on as Hand at least until Robb Stark is dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

pauldoo wrote: »

Confirmed as 70 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

The Hound being afraid of fire was something I was not expecting. Thinking back, you could see that he has a fondness for Sansa.....saving her from the beating/rape in Ep8 when Joffrey said to leave her.

didn his brother push his face into a fire when he was a kid or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Why didn't Stannis just send in his shadowy demon child to kill Joffrey. It was able to waltz through an army camp and kill Renly so it would have been the easy option

Eldoco wrote: »

didn his brother push his face into a fire when he was a kid or something

Yes
    An argument over a toy

Littlefinger told the story at the tournament back in Season 1

That was awesome.

First episode to stay in one area as well? That really worked for this episode. Hope they show Sansa running away and Tyrion still alive.

Gonna have a beast of a scar now!

Why didn't Stannis just send in his shadowy demon child to kill Joffrey. It was able to waltz through an army camp and kill Renly so it would have been the easy option

Probably would have made Stannis himself look weaker though, if he resorted to dark magic rather than being the man who actually took Kings Landing in battle. As shown, he was first off the boats, first up the ladder. It's why his men would fight for him.

If he used magic rather than take Kings Landing himself, he'd probably be as poorly received as King as Joffrey was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

You've also got to remember that when he resorted to the shadow assassin he was heavily outnumbered by Renley whereas this time around, he had the Lannisters 5 to 1 (until Tywin turned up with both his troops and the power of Highgarden under Loras Tyrell).

• Advertisement

I've got character overload

So I think Loras is brother to Margery who said she wanted to be "the" Queen.

Natalie Dormer is one of the best known and high profile members of the cast, they wouldn't have hired her for a few short scenes

I expect she'll be back next season big time
    Maybe they'll build this up in the finale, give us some more info

So marry Marjory to Joffrey maybe?
    Cement an alliance

Maybe, I don't know

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Assassinating Joffrey would probably make the Lannisters stronger, not weaker... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Renly was leader of an army and heirless. Kill him and his men have no reason to fight Stannis.

Joffrey is a puppet king easily replacable by Tommen. Taking him out without sacking the city would make no difference to the war.

Is the shadow monster thing not controlled by the red witch, and she was not brought on the boats?

I also get the feeling the shadow assasin thing cannot travel on water, the first time we seen it, the red woman had to be brought over (smuggled) to the same land where it performed its kill.
    I wonder if Tyrion will still be Hand since Tywin is here now.

Should be, as it was Tywin that appointed him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

squonk wrote: »
    What a fantastic episode! It's been a while since I saw telly like that! Way up there with the last season finale of Breaking Bad for sheer entertainment value.

Tyrion was mega! I've always considered him to be the de facto ruler in Kings Landing and he proved it this week. He had all the best lines too "I'm not sure what you mean my lord. I'm very sure you're sure what I mean' :). On the one hand I wanted to see Cersei and Joffrey routed and to see Stannis take the city but on the other I didn't want to see Tyrion killed or even for Stannis to take the throne. I don't believe Tyrion is in great danger. To me the injury when it was being inflicted looked bad but not as bad in the aftermath. Fair play to him though. If they kill him off I'll be well pissed!

Liam Cunningham is a legend! I have to admit I know the fate of the Onion Knight because I couldn't resist a quick google after the attack. The wildfire was amazing.

I liked the scenes in the room with the ladies and Cersei and Sansa. I thought it was a nice counterpoint to the view of Tywin we got from his interaction with Arya. It also showed how uncertain and scarey the prospects of a lost battle are for women in those situations. Of course it also showed that Cersei is a bit unhinged as well.

I'm glad Sansa has finally seen sense and fled with the Hound. I cheered when that happened. Sansa has been annoying me for ages. My impression of her last season was that she was full of herself and intent on being queen and, when faced with Joffrey and hsi treatment of her, turning into a weak scared princess who seemed unable to help herself. From what I remember, even Tyrion offered to help her at one point when he saw things were not going in a good direction and she refused. I think Tyrion was probably the one Lannister that actually had her welfare at heart. Yes, he'd probably have turned her over to an ally to be kept prisoner but she'd be out of Kings Landing? Even when the Hound offered her help, she refused initially and I do think he's in love with her so the prospect of raping her would be very far from his mind. Also, he seems to be a fairly honourable guy anyway.

I know Joffrey is a kid but FFS he should have stayed on the battlements with his men. If push came to shove I think Tyrion would have removed him from the battle when the time came and given him a chance to escape. He's a complete pile of ****e and I'll be very much hoping Tywin tears strips off him at this stage.

I hope as was said earlier that the next episode will be an extended one. I have a feeling though that we're done with Kings Landing for this season. Next week could well be Danny, Robb, Jon and Theon.

I chuckled when Sansa was trying to get Jeoffrey to go out and fight with the men. "You're right it is a silly question, of course you'll be out in the vanguard with the men" (or something to that effect), as she hopes he gets killed :p

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Should be, as it was Tywin that appointed him.

I thought Tywin was too busy fighting Robb Stark to leave, so he only appointed Tyrion to be the Hand in his place until he could get to Kings Landing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm usually 99% up on GOT but the last little bit went over up head if someone could fill me in I'd appreciate it.

Who attacked Tyrion? And who is it rode in with Tywin? I seem to be totally lost there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I'm usually 99% up on GOT but the last little bit went over up head if someone could fill me in I'd appreciate it.

Who attacked Tyrion? And who is it rode in with Tywin? I seem to be totally lost there.

I think it was a member of the kingsguard who attacked Tyrion wasn't it? I'm not really sure so I'd like someone to explain that too.

Tywin rode in with Lorence Tyrell, this guy
    tumblr_m4qbcj850i1qk4ih5o1_500.gif

After Renly was killed and most of his army defected to Stannis' side, Lorence Tyrell took command of the remaining troops who were loyal to Renly. His sister is Marjorie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

tyrion was attacked by the knight jeoffrey sent to fight for him, bad with names too
    tywin had lorus the lord of the flowers with him, renly bf and brother in law

[Pedantic asshattery]
    It's Ser Loras Tyrell the Knight of the Flowers
    [/Pedantic asshattery]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

lynski wrote: »
    tyrion was attacked by the knight jeoffrey sent to fight for him, bad with names too
    Ser Mandon Moore of the Kingsguard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Also I didn't pick up on this during the episode at all

pupKl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

lynski wrote: »
    tyrion was aacked by the knight jeoffrey sent to fight for him, bad with names too

Ah great thanks, did Renley BF know that stannis was to blame for his death? I'm just trying to work out why he would help Tyson.

He swore vengeance on Stannis a few episodes ago whilst he and his sister were talking with Littlefinger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Great episode, thought the fight scenes were great considering obvious budget constraints, Sansa is a much more likeable character this season and as has been said, its great she has decided to make a run for it with the hound.

Stark kids on the run all over the place!!! Would be disappointed if any of them (even Sansa now) get killed off further into the series/books.

So, could the Starks and Lannisters call a truce or something now, since neither have any prisoners now (I don't think, do they?), huge stumbling block may still be the fact Ned was decapitated?!? :)

/waffling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Great episode, some of the dialogue was brilliant, I genuinely laughed at The Hound's "if any of you die with a clean sword I'll rape your fcuking corpses!" line. the explosion of the ships was very well done. Can't wait for next weeks finale just to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Just watching again there.... why did Bronn and the Hound confront eachother in the first place? Don't remember them meeting before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say it was more of an Alpha Dog thing marking their territory.

Or he doesn't like Bronn acting normal when he knows what he really is.

Felt sorry for Tyrion, but also had to laugh when Sansa said she'd pray for his safe return, as much as she would for Joffrey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

Tristram wrote: »
    That was The National performing "The rains of Castamere".

If you have the Season 1 BluRay the story of the song is covered in the House Lannister special feature. As an added bonus it's narrated by Dance.
    They even made a quaint song about the fate of the Reynes of Castamere...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭twinex

My God, But who'd be a soldiers head in Westeros. Gore central last night,Fantastic! :D I'm sure Sansa will flee with Clegane. I reckon there is a "Beauty and the Beast" side story in there somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

DonalN wrote: »
    Great Episode!!

Anyone know what the song was during the end credits?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm confused why people still think Sansa will flee (with The Hound at that). Didn't she make it clear enough at the end of the episode that she wasn't going anywhere with Clegaine?

Thinking about it further, I'm wondering if Tyrion might find himself in a spot of bother. Despite saving the city, I guarantee Tywin will get the plaudits & the Kings praise - which leaves Tyrion hanging in the wind as he not only insulted and bulled Joffrey, but also knows the King abandoned his troops in battle. Methinks Tyrion may find himself with no more friends in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Brilliant episode, the scene with the wildfire was up there with the opening salvo of episode 1 and the white walkers. Overall I haven't seen a better hour of TV in a long long time.

I have 2 questions? I am assuming Davos is dead as nobody in the middle of that blaze could have survived. However I have always wondered where is the black pirate from the earlier episode Salander San or something? Surely he still has to play a part in the whole saga or was he just providing Davos with ships?

The 2nd is yer wan Melisandro, I know Stannis said she won't be joining them in Kings landing but after Varys warning about her potential powers and the fact he's obviously fled the city I can't help feeling she has a trick up her sleeve. Stannis says after the WF attack that the dwarf has played HIS trick. That led me thinking he had one of his own to come? Maybe I'm just reaching.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

golfball37 wrote: »
    [...]

I have 2 questions? I am assuming Davos is dead as nobody in the middle of that blaze could have survived. However I have always wondered where is the black pirate from the earlier episode Salander San or something? Surely he still has to play a part in the whole saga or was he just providing Davos with ships?
    [...]

The pirate was simply providing ships for Stannis; he didn't have enough to sail his entire force to King's Landing, so they had to curry favour from elsewhere.

As for Davos' fate, I think he might be allright, relatively speaking. We did see him get blown back & off the ship, then into the water. The way that scene was shot and framed, it 'felt' survivable, like the director was at pains to show how he could have lived through it.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the name of next season will be called, seeing that the writers are not exactly following the books from now on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

twinex wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the name of next season will be called, seeing that the writers are not exactly following the books from now on??

The the first part of the paperback was called steel and snow if I recall. Doesn't have the same ring as a storm of swords though does it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Next season will be called
    Game Of Thrones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

golfball37 wrote: »
    Brilliant episode, the scene with the wildfire was up there with the opening salvo of episode 1 and the white walkers. Overall I haven't seen a better hour of TV in a long long time.

The 2nd is yer wan Melisandro, I know Stannis said she won't be joining them in Kings landing but after Varys warning about her potential powers and the fact he's obviously fled the city I can't help feeling she has a trick up her sleeve. Stannis says after the WF attack that the dwarf has played HIS trick. That led me thinking he had one of his own to come? Maybe I'm just reaching.

Eh? Plenty of characters we didn't see mid-battle are still going to be there; I highly doubt Varys has fled anywhere.

I'm excited that the big battle was in the penultimate episode as it gives the importunity to show some of the aftermath of the battle this season and gives time to set the deck for next season properly. I'd also imagine we'll finally get to meet Manceraider and see what Robb does about Tywin's woefully under-manned lines. If Robb's men find Jaime the Starks will be in a very strong position.

Next season will be called
    Game Of Thrones.

It was just that the name of the second season had me thinking that that was partly why we didn't see a lot of Daenerys as she is/was the Kaleesi and the potential Queen of the seven kingdoms, Not a "King" as per the seasons title. I could be reading too much into it though.....

....As an afterthought on Queens, Cersei is BONKERS. (A product of Lannister inbreeding methinks??) Some people just shouldn't drink

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It was just that the name of the second season had me thinking that that was partly why we didn't see a lot of Daenerys as she is/was the Kaleesi and the potential Queen of the seven kingdoms, Not a "King" as per the seasons title. I could be reading too much into it though.....

....As an afterthought on Queens, Cersei is BONKERS. (A product of Lannister inbreeding methinks??) Some people just shouldn't drink

Nope they just decided that it was gonna be called Game of Thrones every season. I suppose they really should have called it A Song of Ice and Fire, but I assume Game of Thrones is easier for people who have never heard of the books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

How is she bonkers? :)

Well first of all she regularly sleeps with and has children with her own brother (protecting the bloodlines be-damned I say!!)
    Secondly, She chooses to end one child's life (Tommen) while previously intervening and safeguarding the life of the other (Godzilla sized douchebag Geoffrey) A sane and logical person would surely let Geoffrey perish in a "Blaze of Glory" on the battlefield the start over and groom the other less maniacal of the boys while ruling from the wings
    Aaaand she really let herself down while on the booze (who hasn't) letting slip her mask and letting fly all her resentment at Sansa, who looked like a Deer caught in the headlights.

But as a counterpoint to all of that she's no more bonkers than any of the rest of the "so called" villains in the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

She's also a pisshead. She always has a goblet of wine in her hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Well first of all she regularly sleeps with and has children with her own brother (protecting the bloodlines be-damned I say!!)
    Secondly, She chooses to end one child's life (Tommen) while previously intervening and safeguarding the life of the other (Godzilla sized douchebag Geoffrey) A sane and logical person would surely let Geoffrey perish in a "Blaze of Glory" on the battlefield the start over and groom the other less maniacal of the boys while ruling from the wings
    Aaaand she really let herself down while on the booze (who hasn't) letting slip her mask and letting fly all her resentment at Sansa, who looked like a Deer caught in the headlights.

But as a counterpoint to all of that she's no more bonkers than any of the rest of the "so called" villains in the series.

Tbf, killing Tommen through poison is better than allowing Stannis to sacrifice him, or what happened to the Targaryen children pre-books

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It was perfectly reasonable behaviour on her part, honestly. The young prince is only a little child who is very much under her wing and he would have just met a horrible death at Stannis' hands as an illegitimate, inbred, heir to Robert's throne. This was all when she believed the battle lost.

When she 'rescued' Joffrey the battle was not lost, indeed she'd just been told that Tyrion had blown most of Stannis' fleet to pieces, so he still had a viable future in her eyes. It could be also argued that as Joffrey was older - and king - he had a right to choose his own fate if it came to that.

I don't think Cersei has ever had much of a mask covering her contempt for people in general, even King Robert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement