Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Americans arrested in Tokyo after female Irish student's death

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

not to speculate or anything.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

RTE reported on this very shortly after the story broke (the RTE app is where I first learned of it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

More here......Including picture of 1 suspect, looks like a right thug.

Two black Americans, one identified as dancer James Blackstone (James “King Tight” Blackstone or James Blackston), and another unnamed teen, (reported as Larry Perry) have been arrested in connection with the death of an Irish exchange student, Nicola Furlong, in Tokyo, Japan.

http://www.zimbio.com/Nicki+Minaj/articles/lVGYUwh_4m4/Americans+James+Blackston+Unnamed+Teen+Arrested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

black
    Racist.
    3..2..1.. Thread locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Jesus Christ. That poor, poor girl. RIP. God love her family and friends, what an absolute nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

This must be very distressing for her family, and it has to be said that speculation tinged with a lot of racism is certainly not going to help anyone. As for someone looking like "a right thug" to one poster, perhaps it should be borne in mind that ugliness - like beauty - is often in the eye of the beholder. :rolleyes:

Let's wait for the Japanese police to complete their investigation and, possibly, for a court of law to establish what happened. You can be certain Irish Embassy personnel will be liaising with the Japanese authorities and monitoring developments.:cool:

Here's what the Japan Times reports about the matter:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120527a2.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

Indo reporting the girl had been sexually assaulted and her drink spiked.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/strangled-girl-had-suffered-sexual-assault-3120057.html

Although, I suppose to be PC, we should give men involved benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

superluck wrote: »
    Indo reporting the girl had been sexually assaulted and her drink spiked.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/strangled-girl-had-suffered-sexual-assault-3120057.html

Although, I suppose to be PC, we should give men involved benefit of the doubt.

They are reporting that the Police are investigating the possibility that her drink was spiked. Bit of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Ah Shure, I know. We must remember that maybe she enjoyed being choked, you never know.

Mod note:user banned

• Advertisement

Superluck, just ask yourself if you'd say what you write in post #14 above to a member of that poor girl's family straight to his or her face, or how you'd like someone to say that about your recently deceased sister.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Well what exactly are you trying to say Ellis?

My post was actually a response to you and your belief these 2 men are innocent of any wrongdoing.

That's what you're thinking, that it was some accident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ah Shure, I know. We must remember that maybe she enjoyed being choked, you never know.

This girl was a cousin of mine, I'd kindly ask you to think how you would feel if someone posted something like this about a member of your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some posts removed and one ban for a racist remark.
    "Black" does not automatically mean "criminal" so cop on.

Well maybe Ellis can clarify exactly what she means.

Well what exactly are you trying to say Ellis?

My post was actually a response to you and your belief these 2 men are innocent of any wrongdoing.

That's what you're thinking, that it was some accident?

Read my post again and try to get your head around the idea that only a court of law can determine guilt or innocence. The principles of presumption of innocence and due process of law are things that you yourself might appreciate one day, so don't sneer at those who seek to uphold them.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Right, so you're saying what I think you're saying.. ... clear enough for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Innocent until proven guilty. In the Treyvon Martin case it turned out the media was reporting that the suspect did not have any marks or scars when in actual fact he did. Just have to wait and see what the judgement is.

Race has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

My sympathies to her family, and I hope whoever did this is caught.

I can't believe people would use the murder of a young woman to try to score some racist points, without seeming to care about her or her family.
    A new low.

The only people bringing Race into this discussion are the PC brigade.

It's already been clearly stated the victim was strangled, what don't you understand?

Ellis alluded earlier that the strangulation was an accident and the men are innocent until proven guilty.

I'm sure if the staff of the hotel received complaints, it wasn't because someone was enjoying themself.

But carry on PC brigade, we'll soon find out what happened and you can apologise later for your naivety.

• Advertisement

My sympathies to her family, and I hope whoever did this is caught.

I can't believe people would use the murder of a young woman to try to score some racist points, without seeming to care about her or her family.
    A new low.

ex nay on the urder ay. It's being investigated. It doesn't mean it is a murder for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The only people bringing Race into this discussion are the PC brigade.

No, the race of the alleged perpetrators was mentioned in post 4. Jonjo is perhaps guilty of many sins, but being PC is not numbered amongst them.

Ellis has not "alluded" to any accidental anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Another tragedy, a young female Irish student also went missing in Singapore recently. Thoughts are with both families no one should have to go through this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Ellis alluded earlier that the strangulation was an accident and the men are innocent until proven guilty.

Point this out to me please because I can't see it. All I see Ellis saying is not to grab the pitchforks till the person is proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

Court of law or not, if they're American they'll get away with it. Anyone remember Amanda Knox? Found guilty of killing a British student in Italy, so the Americans put incredible pressure on the Italian authorities to give her a retrial and find her innocent (simply because she's American). The Italian authorities eventually caved in and did exactly that, and now she's sold her story to American papers for millions of dollars, setting her up for life.

The exact same thing will happen here, especially if - as this thread proves - they can start playing the race card, too.

Look, either the strangulation was an accident or it wasn't, time to make your mind up.

You PC brigade rally to defend the perpetrators just because they're black?

How bizarre.

Do you think it makes the slightest difference what colour they are? It doesn't to me.

If they were muslims, would you give them the benefit of the doubt too?

Of course you would..

The fact these 2 young girls met 2 complete strangers on a train platform and went back to their hotel is crazy enough....

Tokyo is not some small rural town in Ireland, it's a city of 13 million people and you don't just casually mingle with total strangers on train platforms and head back to their hotel.

I don't know how many times I've heard the same story with some nightmare conclusion, it doesn't matter what colour the men are, they could be white, black, hispanic, asian..what does it matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

More here......Including picture of 1 suspect, looks like a right thug.

Two black Americans, one identified as dancer James Blackstone (James “King Tight” Blackstone or James Blackston), and another unnamed teen, (reported as Larry Perry) have been arrested in connection with the death of an Irish exchange student, Nicola Furlong, in Tokyo, Japan.

http://www.zimbio.com/Nicki+Minaj/articles/lVGYUwh_4m4/Americans+James+Blackston+Unnamed+Teen+Arrested

I clicked your link and read the story there, the article ends with this gem :eek:

Not to blame the victim, but going off to the room of a perfect stranger isn’t smart, no matter which country you are in. We have seen the tragic results such actions can have. Remember American teen Natalee Holloway, who mysteriously disappeared in Aruba after hooking up with Joran Van Der Sloot?

Seriously what the ****, the girl shouldnt have gone off with someone cause that will get you killed! :eek:

Mallei wrote: »
    Court of law or not, if they're American they'll get away with it. Anyone remember Amanda Knox? Found guilty of killing a British student in Italy, so the Americans put incredible pressure on the Italian authorities to give her a retrial and find her innocent (simply because she's American). The Italian authorities eventually caved in and did exactly that, and now she's sold her story to American papers for millions of dollars, setting her up for life.

The exact same thing will happen here, especially if - as this thread proves - they can start playing the race card, too.
    I clicked your link and read the story there, the article ends with this gem :eek:

Seriously what the ****, the girl shouldnt have gone off with someone cause that will get you killed! :eek:

I'd imagine they are just highlighting the fact that it's not wise to go to a strangers hotel room or house. Of course that's bad because it suggests guilt which is not clear right now.

But if it does become a murder investigation rather than just into her death then if there's anything to be learned from this, it's avoid putting yourself in harms way. Don't go to a strangers hotel room or house. Yes you might just get laid but you may also be raped, killed or hurt. It's not worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine they are just highlighting the fact that it's not wise to go to a strangers hotel room or house. Of course that's bad because it suggests guilt which is not clear right now.

But if it does become a murder investigation rather than just into her death then if there's anything to be learned from this, it's avoid putting yourself in harms way. Don't go to a strangers hotel room or house. Yes you might just get laid but you may also be raped, killed or hurt. It's not worth the risk.

So you've never had a one night stand then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

RIP to the poor girl, horrific that someone so young could be killed in such a way when she should have been enjoying one of the most exciting times in her young life. Her family are no doubt going through hell right now.

Never ceases to amaze me the stuff people say on forums like this when something like this happens (like Michaela McCreavey). Any normal person's first thoughts are usually along the lines of "Jesus, how awful, her poor family. Hope justice is served and they find some peace." It's NOT "oooh she probably looooved a bitta doooorty choking, it probably got her off...."

Sickos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

You really really really should read up on the Amanda Knox trial, that's not how it happened at all.

So you've never had a one night stand then?

Tried it alright. Wasn't for me, I was taller than her and had more muscle so I'd say I was safe enough.

I wouldn't have any but for different reasons than safety from physical violence. Just more aware that if alcohol is involved and she decides the next morning she regrets it, things can get very messy. If it's your word against hers, you being the male will be seen as the aggressor.

But for women, naturally men are physically stronger. To put yourself in a position in which you are at a guys mercy. It's pretty scary. I know the whole sexual empowerment and it's just a bit of fun lark but it's always a possibility especially if you don't know the person.

Better off getting to know somebody first IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

I can't believe this place sometimes. It is the most politically correct place in the world. People need to pull it together.

The poor girl passed away and it's dreadful. I can't imagine how her family feel at losing their beautiful daughter. It's heartbreaking.

Then it's reported that the suspects are 'black' and the next few posts are littered with politically correct ****e correcting comments which in the real world aren't racist.

If an Irish person kills someone we don't sit around saying "eait for a verdict" or 'innocent till proven guilty' we say 'the bastard' or 'lock him up and throw away the key' 2 black guys are chief suspects in this case and in they do look like thugs. If your names 'king tight' and you're a murder suspect you're not a great guy.

The fact people have to realise is that in America and London there is a black gang culture. Of course any educated person knows that this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that their skin is a different colour. It is the fact that Black people are more likely to be in a tougher are due to economic and social issues. This is a 100% fact not racism. This led to a black culture (which in no way is a fair refelection on black people) of guns/ drugs and all that hip hop stuff. There is again no denying this. None of this is because the people are black it is just how it works out.

My point is that people are gone so far politically correct they're almost racist again. Jumping on every small thing just points it out more. I know more than anything the colour of your skin does not affect who you are but your circumstances do. It's time people used a bit of common sense and boards is the worst for it.

I can't believe this place sometimes. It is the most politically correct place in the world. People need to pull it together.

The poor girl passed away and it's dreadful. I can't imagine how her family feel at losing their beautiful daughter. It's heartbreaking.

Then it's reported that the suspects are 'black' and the next few posts are littered with politically correct ****e correcting comments which in the real world aren't racist.

If an Irish person kills someone we don't sit around saying "eait for a verdict" or 'innocent till proven guilty' we say 'the bastard' or 'lock him up and throw away the key' 2 black guys are chief suspects in this case and in they do look like thugs. If your names 'king tight' and you're a murder suspect you're not a great guy.

The fact people have to realise is that in America and London there is a black gang culture. Of course any educated person knows that this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that their skin is a different colour. It is the fact that Black people are more likely to be in a tougher are due to economic and social issues. This is a 100% fact not racism. This led to a black culture (which in no way is a fair refelection on black people) of guns/ drugs and all that hip hop stuff. There is again no denying this. None of this is because the people are black it is just how it works out.

My point is that people are gone so far politically correct they're almost racist again. Jumping on every small thing just points it out more. I know more than anything the colour of your skin does not affect who you are but your circumstances do. It's time people used a bit of common sense and boards is the worst for it.

If it was an Irish person who was suspected the reaction would be the same. The race doesn't matter. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Justice is served through the courts. Nobody can give a definitive answer so people who say the bastards and all that are wrong. You can't assume guilt, you have to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

There were some serious questions about the Knox trial though, some very dodgy goings on indeed. There are plenty of Americans rotting in jail cells around the world, including some particularly nasty and inhumane third world ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tried it alright. Wasn't for me, I was taller than her and had more muscle so I'd say I was safe enough.

I wouldn't have any but for different reasons than safety from physical violence. Just more aware that if alcohol is involved and she decides the next morning she regrets it, things can get very messy. If it's your word against hers, you being the male will be seen as the aggressor.

But for women, naturally men are physically stronger. To put yourself in a position in which you are at a guys mercy. It's pretty scary. I know the whole sexual empowerment and it's just a bit of fun lark but it's always a possibility especially if you don't know the person.

Better off getting to know somebody first IMO

Fair enough. However when you get to know her after a few dates you don't actually know her, and she doesn't know you. You could easily just rape/attack a few dates in or else she could be some bunny boiler and cry rape the next day. If you go down the road of not having one night stands because it increases the risk of harm then where do you stop.

If it was an Irish person who was suspected the reaction would be the same. The race doesn't matter. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Justice is served through the courts. Nobody can give a definitive answer so people who say the bastards and all that are wrong. You can't assume guilt, you have to prove it.

If it was an Irish person there is no way people would be going around to defend them. As another poster correctly stated people are defending these 2 because they are black. Same old ****e on here, backwards racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Its a long way from Curracloe to Tokyo

RIP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Innocent until proven guilty = political correctness gone mad?

Facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

RIP
    What is the fact that they black has to do with it but people seem to use it to describe them instead of suspects. Image if that was done for a white guy or we refereed to people by they county.

• Advertisement

Facepalm

2 drunk girls miss their train home after a gig and meet 2 men who invite the girls back to hotel, got them pissed drunk and drag them back to the rooms with one ending up dead.

They sound like real gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Facepalm

True, while I am baying for her killers blood (as any right thinking person should be) you HAVE to realise we don't have all the facts. We're only ever working off what has been released to the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭tigger123

2 drunk girls miss their train home after a gig and meet 2 men who invite the girls back to hotel, got them pissed drunk and drag them back to the rooms with one ending up dead.

They sound like real gentlemen.

You couldn't be missing the point more if you tried.

Facepalm

Of course that would be the flaw in my argument and a fair comment. However, I would urge you to think more about what I am saying. Innocent until proven guilty is of course the way we want things to be but it isn't and really we all know that.

I can think of so many examples where the suspect is getting loads of abuse before they are found guilty. Your point suggests that on a whole Ireland is fair when it comes to this? Very rarely on boards are people going around saying 'innocent until proven guilty' and it happens this time...

There was noises from the hotel room, the media is clearly reporting it they had some sort of involvement, they deleted their online accounts. I'm not saying they definetly did it but people coming on here defending them because of their race is stupid.

I have 2 simple points. The fact is black crime is higher and this is not a race issue it is a social one. Consistently defending any issue of race is in itself nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

ex nay on the urder ay. It's being investigated. It doesn't mean it is a murder for sure.

you need to brush up on your pig latin - ixany the urdermay

Still its a horrible situation and my sympathies go to her family in this dark time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

[...] people coming on here defending them because of their race is stupid. [...]

No one's done that. We don't have all the facts, we don't know if they're guilty, that's all.

The only people bringing race into this are those banging on about "the PC brigade".

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

I think some people here need to remind themselves that at least one family member of this poor girl is reading this thread - consider their feelings before making possibly hurtful comments/speculations . . . .

My deepest condolences to the family at this terrible time

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

There was noises from the hotel room, the media is clearly reporting it they had some sort of involvement, they deleted their online accounts. I'm not saying they definetly did it but people coming on here defending them because of their race is stupid.

I think if I was all over the media as a suspect in a crime I'd, innocent or not, delete my online social media accounts too to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I know if my daughter went back to hotel room with two strangers I would I would feel little less uneasy if it was a say Tom Petty gig than a rap gig.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement