Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Americans arrested in Tokyo after female Irish student's death

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

twinQuins wrote: »
    No one's done that. We don't have all the facts, we don't know if they're guilty, that's all.

The only people bringing race into this are those banging on about "the PC brigade".

Wrong, if had bothered your lazy ass to read the whole thread, you'd see it was started in post #4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

tipptom wrote: »
    I know if my daughter went back to hotel room with two strangers I would I would feel little less uneasy if it was a say Tom Petty gig than a rap gig.

It's true. Only thieves and murderdiddleyurderers like rap. Nobody who likes Tom Petty could be a bad person...

...what's the demographic profile for serial killers like again...

Edit: Also, you're implying that only black people go to rap gigs?! OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

superluck wrote: »
    Wrong, if had bothered your lazy ass to read the whole thread, you'd see it was started in post #4

I did. There's nothing there defending them because of their race. Now how about you bother your lazy ass and pony up some evidence of anyone in this thread defending them because of their race.

I won't hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

http://www.japanprobe.com/2012/05/26/irish-woman-found-dead-in-tokyo-hotel-room-two-americans-arrested/
    The two men — the 19-year-old musician and 23-year-old dancer James Blackston — were arrested on suspicion of giving drinks with high alcoholic content to Furlong’s friend, a 21-year-old Irishwoman, leading her to fall unconscious and then groping her inside a taxi, the officials said.

The two have denied the allegations, they said. But footage from a surveillance camera in the taxi shows they were touching the unconscious woman, according to investigations.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/student-nicola-furlong-suffered-sexual-assault-after-strangulation-in-tokyo-3120057.html
    According to reports, witnesses saw the men getting into a taxi with the women in which they went to the hotel in Shinjuku. It is believed the two men have denied the allegations but CCTV footage of the group getting into the taxi has been obtained.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120527a2.html
    A guest complained about a loud noise coming from one of the rooms around 3:20 a.m. Thursday, and a hotel employee who checked the room found the Irish woman lying unconscious on the floor with the man standing nearby, according to the sources.

So, the two girls meet two lads, who then ply them with drink, and tried to say that they weren't in the taxi, when CCTV shows them fondling the unconscious women. They went back to the room, and raped the women.

They're scumbags. Does Japan have the death penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 E

Hi Mods,

This thread should be closed/removed.

It is disrespectful.. on here speculating over the last hours of this girl's life...very upsetting for her family and friends to come across this on line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the_syco wrote: »

608 people executed since 1993

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

the_syco wrote: »
    They're scumbags. Does Japan have the death penalty?

Japan's got a notoriously tough penal system. If these lads are found guilty, they won't tast freedom for many years. But the death penalty, afaik, would be for multiple murders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What utterly mortifying idiocy. People say "Innocent until proven guilty" and that the suspects' colour shouldn't lead to assumptions of guilt - you know, sensible, logical stuff. And yet a few individuals start whining about political correctness?! It's like reading Viz!
    Although, I suppose to be PC, we should give men involved benefit of the doubt.
    No it's not "to be PC", it's because we're not a judge/jury - the very same if they were white. Christ... scarlet for you.
    Ah Shure, I know. We must remember that maybe she enjoyed being choked, you never know.
    Who even remotely suggested that?
    If an Irish person kills someone we don't sit around saying "eait for a verdict" or 'innocent till proven guilty' we say 'the bastard' or 'lock him up and throw away the key'
    Wtf? No, "we" don't all say the above imbecilic stuff about anyone, whatever colour - you might. Lots of us wait until the person is convicted before passing comments in relation to them. Just because there are all those comments convicting people before they've even had a trial, doesn't mean it's right. There are often cases discussed where the moderator closes the thread due to it being an ongoing court case... and the accused is often white, shock horror!
    If it was an Irish person there is no way people would be going around to defend them. As another poster correctly stated people are defending these 2 because they are black. Same old ****e on here, backwards racism.
    Er... bit different. People here were contesting comments of the nature "What do you expect? They're black". They could be guilty but we don't know for certain until a trial's outcome.
    Innocent until proven guilty is of course the way we want things to be but it isn't and really we all know that.
    Well it should be. Trial by message-board is never right.

Grinding the auld imagined "Only white people experience racism!" axe here is bad, bad form...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Bad Panda wrote: »
    It's true. Only thieves and murderdiddleyurderers like rap. Nobody who likes Tom Petty could be a bad person...

...what's the demographic profile for serial killers like again...

Edit: Also, you're implying that only black people go to rap gigs?! OK.
    No its not fu*king ok,point out to me where in my post have i mentioned black people or that they are the only race who go to rap gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Look, either the strangulation was an accident or it wasn't, time to make your mind up.

You PC brigade rally to defend the perpetrators just because they're black?

How bizarre.

Do you think it makes the slightest difference what colour they are? It doesn't to me.

If they were muslims, would you give them the benefit of the doubt too?

Of course you would..

The fact these 2 young girls met 2 complete strangers on a train platform and went back to their hotel is crazy enough....

Tokyo is not some small rural town in Ireland, it's a city of 13 million people and you don't just casually mingle with total strangers on train platforms and head back to their hotel.

I don't know how many times I've heard the same story with some nightmare conclusion, it doesn't matter what colour the men are, they could be white, black, hispanic, asian..what does it matter.

I'm surprised nobody has called you out for your victim blaming I have to say.

Good job though, I guess it's a bit PC to point it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Innocent until proven guilty is of course the way we want things to be but it isn't and really we all know that.

It isn't the way things are unfortunately because there are too many morons like yourself in the world....and really we all know that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

tmc86 wrote: »
    Another tragedy, a young female Irish student also went missing in Singapore recently. Thoughts are with both families no one should have to go through this.

Have you a link to news of this? I can't find anything online about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

finty wrote: »
    It isn't the way things are unfortunately because there are too many morons like yourself in the world....and really we all know that :rolleyes:

So standard. It's quite easy to make an argument with the popular comment. It doesn't really matter what you say it's quite obvious that the suspects were getting extra defence because they were black. It's always the same here.

Dudess while you may think you presented a solid case there I really don't know why you picked some of the points. I can think of numerous cases in this country where people got solid abuse before been proven guilty. Like the other poster above you seem to assume I think this is correct or that is the basis of my point?

I am quite aware we live in a democratic society and a feature of this is that a suspect and a criminal are 2 very different things. I know this, I'm proud of this and I acknowledge it is the way to deal with these things.

In this case one must suspect that the 2 mentioned are involved in the case, hence why they have been detained and the media are reporting the same thing. Now this is the point I am making: In Amanda Knox's case some people were absoluely adamant that she did it. It was never an issue of her colour when people said she did do it and nobody defended her because she was white. These 2 are black men involved in a culture which has been involved with some negative cases. They are the chief suspects and suddenly people are taking little things out of context and defending them using race for example 'not like a white person ever murdered someone' well of course every human no matter what colour or creed has the potential to be evil. Social factors bring it out, black people are more likely to live in a disadvantaged area, this is a fact. Black crime is higher this is also a fact. I know this is not because the suspects are black, I know that everyone in the world is equally bad or good. I knew as soon as I saw the suspects were black that somehow or another people would be defending them based on their race.

I also knew that once I presented my opinion I would face a lot more popular opinions who can easily form arguments with soundbytes on race and innocence. It should be noted I have never said they did do it nor have I suggested their race has anything to do with it.

Racism is a dreadful thing. It is shown itself to be consistenly a fault in humanity. Consistently over defending people of a different race is producing a new discourse which is just turning into a competition about who the best liberal on boards is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

The final thing I want to say is that this story only caught my eye because of how terrible it is. I really don't want to be using this terrible incident as a tool to talk abut different opinions so I am going to stop.

I know a lot of people on erasmus and I can only imagine how proud her parents were. By all accounts she was a beautiful young girl and this is a devastating tragedy. It dosen't bare thinking about.

My thoughts are first and foremost with the family. May she rest in peace.

• Advertisement

Some folks are clearly jumping on this case to imply "They're black, what did you expect?" - that's what's leading to defensiveness, not the fact they're suspects in the first place.
    You seem intelligent and reasonable - it's a pity you've been suckered in by the "political correctness" myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

A friend of mine is also over in Japan and this scared the sh!te out of me.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I'm surprised nobody has called you out for your victim blaming I have to say.

:rolleyes: Yes victim "blaming".

RIP to Nicola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

this is one of those "I hate AH at times" threads isnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

James “King Tight” Blackstone

Ace name, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I am sorry to hear about what happened to that poor girl, it's awful. I think that ideally somebody should be considered innocent until proven guilty but from what I understand about the circumstances of the events, it seems to me that they are guilty, something seems suspicious anyway. I am not basing this on their skin colour, I would be just as suspicious if they were white. I also think that suspects are often demonised before a case, but people are too afraid to do so if the person is black, it doesn't really matter because we don't have any facts yet anyway. I agree that generally speaking, and this is a GENERALISATION, a high percentage of black people are from disadvantaged areas and therefore are more likely to commit crimes, as are white people from disadvantaged areas. I don't believe that this is a racist comment and I also don't believe that it means that all black people commit crimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

E wrote: »
    Hi Mods,

It is disrespectful.. on here speculating over the last hours of this girl's life...very upsetting for her family and friends to come across this on line.

I'm afraid that this is an unfortunate consequence of the modern world we live in. You may close this thread, but there will be a thread somewhere else, or comments on newspaper articles and on and on, etc.

I can only imagine the family are devastated and the media cycle (both traditional and online) must be dreadful for them but that is the way of it I'm afraid.

A terrible tragedy, RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I can't believe this place sometimes. It is the most politically correct place in the world. People need to pull it together.
    Implying that bringing "black" guys home will cause grief is saying that black guys can't be trusted, which is racist in my opinion.
    I am all for names and pics being displayed of suspects but saying someone did it because they are black is a bit much don't you think?

Funny how you bring in black gang culture into this. Are you saying now they did it because they are black gangsters?
    Which came first do you think, the skin colour or the gangsta culture?

I know of these gangs in London and it's a fecking tragedy not more is done to prevent the gangs but I don't really see it as a genetic issue.
    The same goes for UKs Pakistani child grooming gangs, it's a culture thing rather than genetic in my opinion.

E wrote: »
    Hi Mods,

Please don't post request to mods in thread, chance are that we won't see it. Use the report function instead.
    We'll take it under advisement.

Mallei wrote: »
    Court of law or not, if they're American they'll get away with it. Anyone remember Amanda Knox? Found guilty of killing a British student in Italy, so the Americans put incredible pressure on the Italian authorities to give her a retrial and find her innocent (simply because she's American). The Italian authorities eventually caved in and did exactly that, and now she's sold her story to American papers for millions of dollars, setting her up for life.

The exact same thing will happen here, especially if - as this thread proves - they can start playing the race card, too.

Your knowledge of the Amanda Knox case and due process in Italian law is, to put it kindly, lacking.

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I am sorry to hear about what happened to that poor girl, it's awful. I think that ideally somebody should be considered innocent until proven guilty but from what I understand about the circumstances of the events, it seems to me that they are guilty, something seems suspicious anyway. I am not basing this on their skin colour, I would be just as suspicious if they were white. I also think that suspects are often demonised before a case, but people are too afraid to do so if the person is black, it doesn't really matter because we don't have any facts yet anyway. I agree that generally speaking, and this is a GENERALISATION, a high percentage of black people are from disadvantaged areas and therefore are more likely to commit crimes, as are white people from disadvantaged areas. I don't believe that this is a racist comment and I also don't believe that it means that all black people commit crimes.
    Of course it isn't racist. What's racist is "Ah yep, blacks - what do you expect? They must be guilty"... but apparently objecting to that is "PC gone mad" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I think that it is racist to assume that a person is guilty based on their race. However, I think that the issue that people have in this thread is that it would generally be acceptable to assume the guilt of white men (in the public eye anyway) and not as many people would rush to their defence. I understand that plenty of people will not immediately assume someone's guilt, whether white or black, but there does seem to be a higher level of sensitivity if the person isn't white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Medusa22 wrote: »
    I think that it is racist to assume that a person is guilty based on their race. However, I think that the issue that people have in this thread is that it would generally be acceptable to assume the guilt of white men (in the public eye anyway) and not as many people would rush to their defence. I understand that plenty of people will not immediately assume someone's guilt, whether white or black, but there does seem to be a higher level of sensitivity if the person isn't white.

Well stastically black american males seem to commit more violent crime than other ethnic american groups. Some people will probably react to that like its phrenology though :pac:

I'm pretty sure homicide carries a statutory death sentence in japan so that's something I suppose. Hopefully it involves samurai swords and the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Dancer James Blackston, AKA King Tight, Being Held in Japan for Murder of Nicola Furlong
    Sounds like a douchebag.

such a pretty girl though. It's sad.

smash wrote: »
    Sounds like a douchebag.

such a pretty girl though. It's sad.

Would it be less sad if she was less pretty?

Bambi wrote: »
    Well stastically black american males seem to commit more violent crime than other ethnic american groups. Some people will probably react to that like its phrenology though :pac:

I'm pretty sure homicide carries a statutory death sentence in japan so that's something I suppose. Hopefully it involves samurai swords and the like

Indeed, and statistically in both England and the States black men are more likely to be a victim of crime than a criminal.

Weird, right?

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Would it be less sad if she was less pretty?

Honestly. Yes!

Honestly. Yes!
    For you maybe.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

"King Tight" - he should be sent down just for calling himself that name, and for hassling innocent passengers on the train. Gyrating his pelvis to passengers what a little c*nt
    (have to post this again)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaMxy6FF4Lk

Guilty or not if he gets sent down he'll be absolutely no loss to society. In fact it would probably be a gain for society having this guy off the streets. "Dancers" like him are ten a penny in the ghettos.

He's obviously a vile, uncouth, unmannerly little scumbag.

If the above was some scanger on the Luas you wouldn't hear the end of it, but because he's black you call him a little scut you get called all sorts of names.

Honestly. Yes!

Each to his own I guess.

Dudess wrote: »
    For you maybe.
    I know. That's why I said it.

I don't know why that kind of statement offends people. You'll be guaranteed all the papers will pick up on the fact that she's pretty. And young too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

It's hilarious that most of the focus so far is on race. Hypocrisy is alive and well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

prinz wrote: »
    It's hilarious that most of the focus so far is on race. Hypocrisy is alive and well.

Well the japanese are sorta weird.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

people are stirring it up as race,personally i wouldnt give a f0ck what race the bugger is,if he did it he did it end of story,rip to the victim a very short adult life..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Just to get the facts straight, "King Tight" was in the room with the other unnamed Irish girl who didn't die, correct?

The actual guy who was in the victim's room is an unnamed 19 year old with no pics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just read the independent article today, bascially these too animals spiked her drink strangled and sexually assaulted her and also sexually assaulted her friend.
    Death penalty will be used on these too, japan does not take murder lightly and also treat there prisoners very harsh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

jayteecork wrote: »
    "King Tight" - he should be sent down just for calling himself that name, and for hassling innocent passengers on the train. Gyrating his pelvis to passengers what a little c*nt
    (have to post this again)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaMxy6FF4Lk

Even if it turns out he didn't harm Nicola, that guys is a fúcking tool of the utmost type. If he was on my train doing that I'd take great pleasure in sticking my leg out to trip him up mid-"dance". If that's what you call it. Looks more like a seizure to me to be honest.

Bambi wrote: »
    Pretty sure that controlling for socio-economic factors it's all the same. Also New York police last year did more stop-and-frisks on young black men than the number of young black men living in their area, target a specific group and you'll "find" they commit more crimes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Indeed, and statistically in both England and the States black men are more likely to be a victim of crime than a criminal.

Weird, right?

Victims of a crime committed by who ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

American performers who come to Japan will often get girls to drink strong alcoholic beverages and then take the girls back to their hotel rooms. It is especially common with Hip Hop / R&B concerts.

Especially hip hop/ r&b concerts, now that is a surprise:rolleyes:

http://www.japanprobe.com/2012/05/26/irish-woman-found-dead-in-tokyo-hotel-room-two-americans-arrested/

American performers who come to Japan will often get girls to drink strong alcoholic beverages and then take the girls back to their hotel rooms. It is especially common with Hip Hop / R&B concerts.

Especially hip hop/ r&b concerts, now that is a surprise:rolleyes:

Most be some feeling waking up in a strange hotel room realising that a black man has all but raped you.

I'm so glad I'm male.

• Advertisement

I know. That's why I said it.

I don't know why that kind of statement offends people. You'll be guaranteed all the papers will pick up on the fact that she's pretty. And young too.
    It doesn't necessarily offend people, it's just a dreadful, ugly attitude to have - whether papers publish it or not.
    The prettier the person, the sadder the death? Fuk...

Morlar wrote: »
    Victims of a crime committed by who ?

Come on Morlar, I know you are not so stupid you can't read a thread and put two and two together.

You get a D on this thread.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Most be some feeling waking up in a strange hotel room realising that a black man has all but raped you.

I'm so glad I'm male.
    Yeah it's not as bad if it's a white man.

Prinz, the reason racism has entered the discussion is not because people want it to, nor because they believe it's racist that these guys have been arrested, nor because people are criticising their alleged behaviour (innocent until proven guilty aside) it's because of comments like the above.

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah it's not as bad if it's a white man.

If I was a white girl I'd certainly be the lesser of two evils.

I'm sorry I just don't like the look of black people, call me whatever the **** you want, I just hate the sight of them.

Mod note:user banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Also New York police last year did more stop-and-frisks on young black men than the number of young black men living in their area

Clearly the problem of trans-dimensional black crime is on the rise in New York.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement