Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hdmi adaptor

• 28-05-2012 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Was in an Apple Store on Friday and a cable to connect the I pad to a tv through a hdmi cackle is €39.99 are there generic cheaper potions out there.

Thanks
    Mcko

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

there's some on adverts for around the €30 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Looking to pay less than that to be honest, thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

You could try get one on eBay, but it would be a cheap knock-off and the quality of the HDMI signal would be disrupted. And you would be looking at around €25 anyway for the item+shipping. It's just a false economy buying a cheap one. Just get the real deal and you would be much happier with it (Unless you find a 2nd hand genuine one)

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Ok thanks will have to but the real one.
    Thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

I have one that I've never used (the official one) and probably never will. I should probably post on adverts, then direct you there, I know, but seeing as you're looking, PM me if you're interested.

• Advertisement

You could try get one on eBay, but it would be a cheap knock-off and the quality of the HDMI signal would be disrupted. And you would be looking at around €25 anyway for the item+shipping. It's just a false economy buying a cheap one. Just get the real deal and you would be much happier with it (Unless you find a 2nd hand genuine one)

There's no difference between the likes of a €70 Monster HDMI cable and a €2 generic one, despite what the manufacturers want you to think. It's true for analogue cables, such as SCART and component cables, but not DVI or HDMI.

Karsini wrote: »
    There's no difference between the likes of a €70 Monster HDMI cable and a €2 generic one, despite what the manufacturers want you to think. It's true for analogue cables, such as SCART and component cables, but not DVI or HDMI.

Good advice, but he's not talking about the cable itself, read the first post maybe?

darokane wrote: »
    Good advice, but he's not talking about the cable itself, read the first post maybe?

I did, he's talking about a cable to connect an iPad via HDMI to a TV. Same thing applies, 40 quid for a cable is just typical Apple robbery.

got a link for the €2 one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I did, he's talking about a cable to connect an iPad via HDMI to a TV. Same thing applies, 40 quid for a cable is just typical Apple robbery.

But it has to be compatible with the iPad.

• Advertisement

Oh how i love the boards population. Always going out of their way to contradict people. :)

We're both right on this one. You're right when you say that the quality of the cable makes no difference but that's only when the cable length is less than 10 feet. Any longer than that and the signal will start to get disrupted and you'd start having to look at the expensive insulated cables.

Also, please point out a €2 ipad hdmi connector. And it's not just apple doing this sort of robbery. Have a look at every tablet manufacturer out there, they are robbing the consumer blind with their "peripherals".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Apples connector is proprietary , any third party seller making money on an adaptor is risking a lawsuit , so its apple genuine or ropey knockoff.
    We're both right on this one. You're right when you say that the quality of the cable makes no difference but that's only when the cable length is less than 10 feet. Any longer than that and the signal will start to get disrupted and you'd start having to look at the expensive insulated cables.

10 meters not 10 feet , and the problem is one of attenuation over length , so once it starts , no amount of insulation fixes the issue , If you want a HDMI longer than 10-15 meters , look at HDMI over two runs of CAT/5/6 units that are out there.

Anyway , the fact that any or all HDMI cables are the same is not the issue here , were talking about a non standard connector to HDMI connector adaptor , and how exactly apple are implementing that is unknown territory unless you work for apple and have access to that kind of information.

andy1249 wrote: »
    10 meters not 10 feet , and the problem is one of attenuation over length , so once it starts , no amount of insulation fixes the issue

As I said,
    Oh how i love the boards population. Always going out of their way to contradict people. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Theres a difference between correcting and contradicting. You were corrected. I'm well aware that boards glories in circular argument threads , but this is a tech forum , and bad tech advice like you posted needs to be corrected , or it could actually cost some people some money !!

andy1249 wrote: »
    Theres a difference between correcting and contradicting. You were corrected. I'm well aware that boards glories in circular argument threads , but this is a tech forum , and bad tech advice like you posted needs to be corrected , or it could actually cost some people some money !!

I'm sorry oh wise master of the tech forums. Let me correct you too, I've rewritten your post and I've added a bit to make it snazzier:

"There's a difference between correcting and contradicting. You were corrected. I'm well aware that boards glories in circular argument threads, but this is a tech forum, and bad tech advice like you posted needs to be corrected, or it could actually cost some people some money!! And I don't know why we're arguing because I've fallen in love with correcting people so I'm moving to Mexico where I can teach young children english."

I think I prefer your corrected version, it has some added life that your original lacked. kthxbai <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I'm sorry oh wise master of the tech forums. Let me correct you too, I've rewritten your post and I've added a bit to make it snazzier:

"There's a difference between correcting and contradicting. You were corrected. I'm well aware that boards glories in circular argument threads, but this is a tech forum, and bad tech advice like you posted needs to be corrected, or it could actually cost some people some money!! And I don't know why we're arguing because I've fallen in love with correcting people so I'm moving to Mexico where I can teach young children english."

I think I prefer your corrected version, it has some added life that your original lacked. kthxbai <3

Your clearly a twat. You were wrong, get over yourself.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Your clearly a twat. You were wrong, get over yourself.

It's cus I is black innit?

Advertisement