Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling Phonewatch - what to do next?

Options
  • 28-05-2012 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

I'm plan on cancelling my Phonewatch alarm monitoring system this week. I hope to get a local alarm company to maintain the sytem but I no longer need monitoring.

I was wondering with Phonewatch:
    * Is it just a simple case of cancelling or do PW have to do something (like send an engineer out)? Basically will I get hit with a charge?
    * Can I cancel my direct debit?

For the new alarm company:
    * Do you need to check/modify the system?
    * Will their engineer be able to access the system?

And finally can someone recommend an alarm company near Mullingar?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

paultf wrote: »
    * Is it just a simple case of cancelling or do PW have to do something (like send an engineer out)? Basically will I get hit with a charge?
    Eircom may try to tell you they need to send an engineer out to disconnect it. They don't. They can simply set up their system to ignore any calls from your alarm.
    You can also simply disconnect the line from the alarm anyway.
    Can I cancel my direct debit?
    Yes providing you notify Eircom of your cancellation in accordance with the T & Cs of your contract.
    Yes & Yes

Thanks.

Take a look at the PSA register here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

I'm plan on cancelling my Phonewatch alarm monitoring system this week. I hope to get a local alarm company to maintain the sytem but I no longer need monitoring.

* Can I cancel my direct debit?

Thanks.

You can cancel once you contact P.W ro inform them and plus you will be out of contract. Just make sure you have an e-mail or letter confirming you cancelling. They will send you out a letter saying to need to have an engineer out to disconnect the system from the phone line as your system is still sending in signals when the alarm activates. God only knows what the test time is set up for. It seems to vary in there installations. I would decline and just delete the numbers yourself. It only take a minute to do.

The way it works is you need the phone numbers deleted from the control panel. I see above you where told you could simply disconnect the phone line from the panel. I would not advise this unless the numbers have being deleted. This will stop the alarm ringing the monitoring station but will put a fault on to the system. Line fault. If the system is a wire free alarm it will beep to let you know the line is gone, just when you put your head on the pillow :D

Most of there systems can be set up to contact you rather than P.W. It all depends on the system you have installed. More than happy to help you set this up yourself.

Any engineer can service and maintain your system, if they cant then get someone who can to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Thanks for the replies.

I have just cancelled my Phonewatch account. I was told by a customer agent that a call will still be made to the monitoring centre if my alarm goes off. The call is to a standard 01 Dublin landline number. The agent said I would be charged for this telephone call on my telephone a/c.

PW wanted €90 to physically disconnect the phone line from the control panel.

My existing telephone line is with Eircom. I have a broadband + talk anytime package with them so all National calls are free. This will cover the alarm calls to the monitoring centre if the alarm goes off.

If in the future I decide to turn the monitoring back on my alarm system should still work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

They make it out that they need to disconnect it so they can get a handy call out.
    I have seen some of there letters. They even keep sending it out when there system has being disconnected :D

Advertisement