Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on ex paying towards kids

Options
  • 28-05-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope i can post this here but - my brother and wife(obviously she has no money at all now with been married) - Well the story is she has kids to a previous man and he is really messing her around money wise. They have arranged betweeen them that he pays money into her account - some weeks he pays some weeks not he sees them for a day at the weekend and if he doesnt pay she doesnt send the kids - think she needs legal advice

Just really want to see if anyone here has problems and would solicitors be the way to go -

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Yes she needs to get a solicitor and see about getting legal aid. The most important thing she should do is stop using the children as aweapon. I understand she is been treated poorly but its not fair to make them suffer for their fathers actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

help21 wrote: »
    my brother and wife(obviously she has no money at all now with been married)

Has she considered getting a job?
    Daisy M wrote: »
    Yes she needs to get a solicitor and see about getting legal aid. The most important thing she should do is stop using the children as aweapon. I understand she is been treated poorly but its not fair to make them suffer for their fathers actions.

I agree, the kids are not to blame here.

She can take him to court and get a court order etc...but from experience, even with a court order, if he continues not to pay...not much will be done.
    Unless she can convince a judge to get the payments made directly from the SW (if he's on SW) or his employer, but afaik this is rare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

A solicitor would be the way to go.

But first if I was in her shoes I would stop using the kids as a bargaining tool for money in a family they're not a commodity.

His payments or lack of payments is completely irrelevant to the kids having a stable relationship with their father.

Advertisement