Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its not worth the money!

• 28-05-2012 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16236696

Jesus when will people learn.I've read numerous books about these prisons and has anyone watched banged up abroad ?the conditions are horrendous.definitely puts me off ever doing anything like that for sure.
    Also I'm told there s a humongous sign in bali airport saying drug traffickers will get the death penalty.so fair warning imo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

She obviously hadn't watched Midnight Express.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Why do the customs officials have to cover their faces? They look like terrorists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

'If found guilty Lindsay Sandiford faces a maximum penalty of death by firing squad.'

Reminded me of that bit in 'I'm Alan Partridge' where he goes on a date to the bird sancturary....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

On a lighter note the link at the side of the article says 'David Beckham Poses Wet And Topless For The Cover Of Elle Magazine', I know what I'll be doing for the next four or five minutes. :)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would imagine so that criminals would have a harder time recognizing, and subsequently shooting said face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

chin_grin wrote: »
    Why do the customs officials have to cover their faces? They look like terrorists!

Probably so they don't get murdered by drug dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I had expected a gormless teen backpacker to be the subject of the article, not a 56 yo woman.

No accounting for intelligence, at whatever age I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

A 56-year-old British woman has been arrested in Bali for allegedly smuggling £1.6m worth of cocaine in her luggage.

If found guilty Lindsay Sandiford faces a maximum penalty of death by firing squad.
    She attempted to cover her face as she was brought before the media at a news conference in Kuta, a holiday town on the Indonesian island.
    She was pictured sitting at a table surrounded by packages wrapped in brown tape as a customs official cut them open with a knife.

for all you mobile users out there

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

i'm a bit unsure on the drugs, but i would have thought bali been were it is would have been a wholesaler or drugs right climate etc. or is it that so many tourists there the demand is high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

MagicSean wrote: »
    Probably so they don't get murdered by drug dealers.

That would make a lot of sense all right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

She should have smuggled it in her crack,what a dope!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

If the drug dealers saw their faces they'd be at risk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Agree entirely, Sky isn't worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Was in Bali in January and the signs saying 'death to drug trafficker' were all over the airport.
    Singapore also had lots of the signs in the airport, as well as one of the highest rates of capital punishment in the world and I've never been anywhere else in the world where I felt so safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Bad Panda wrote: »
    'If found guilty Lindsay Sandiford faces a maximum penalty of death by firing squad.'

Reminded me of that bit in 'I'm Alan Partridge' where he goes on a date to the bird sancturary....

More or likely not going to happen as the British Government will step in to stop that type of penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

crazygeryy wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16236696

Jesus when will people learn.I've read numerous books about these prisons and has anyone watched banged up abroad ?the conditions are horrendous.definitely puts me off ever doing anything like that for sure.
    Also I'm told there s a humongous sign in bali airport saying drug traffickers will get the death penalty.so fair warning imo.
    dmcronin wrote: »
    I had expected a gormless teen backpacker to be the subject of the article, not a 56 yo woman.

No accounting for intelligence, at whatever age I guess.
    I doubt anyone's going to be thinking "Yeah cool, smuggle drugs from a country with a really harsh punitive system and get loadsa money!" Most of the time it's probably because of being coerced into it or in absolutely dire financial straits...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

*presses cock against glass*

I'm here for yooou Lindsay!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Frynge wrote: »
    Was in Bali in January and the signs saying 'death to drug trafficker' were all over the airport.
    Singapore also had lots of the signs in the airport, as well as one of the highest rates of capital punishment in the world and I've never been anywhere else in the world where I felt so safe

High rates of capital punishment suggest high rates of capital crime. I wouldn't feel safe in a country with high rates of capital crime.

Asian countries tend to have less violent crime on the streets than, say the US, whatever about the prison regime there. Where a Westerner is a victim of crime its typically a con artist playing on a tourist's stupidity/greed, i.e. a no-strings opportunity to make money fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Stupid woman.

Worst place in the world to try move large quantities of drugs. The prisons are terrible and a high chance of getting the death penalty or worse and survive for 20 years+ in prison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I'm no expert, but wouldn't £1.6million worth of cocaine be pretty heavy? How did she just try and sneak it in her luggage? Seems beyond uneducated tbh.

Nor am I. It's probably a relatively small amount of 100% 'pure' product.
    Cut with various substances afterwards to bulk it up for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

She is trully f.......d up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

dorgasm wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but wouldn't £1.6million worth of cocaine be pretty heavy? .

Not if it was pure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Not if it was pure

Says in the article it weighed 4.7kgs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

they are terrorists.. and no doubt they will sell the drugs on themselves.. crooked c*nts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

frag420 wrote: »
    She should have smuggled it in her crack,what a dope!!
    I'd say she'd have room! although where shes going she won't be long loosing that weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Perhaps she thought she was going to land in Balibunion, and only get a couple of years if she got caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Silly woman, she just looks like your average "mammy" ...her life is ruined now....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Trollsbury Trollington

Just stay away from all these whack-job countries. Watch a bit of banged up abroad.
    Europe and North America have everything you could want, theres Aus and NZ too and some places in S.America.
    Although the US are a bit fond of the ol' lethal injecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

most cover their faces cos they go undercover alot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

She should have went Ryanair. €30 excess baggage, she'd been all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

having watched banged up abroad a lot there is always one common theme that runs through each case, the pepole who do this are very very stupid.

nearly every case is the same, some guy promises them 5,000 to 10,000 pounds and a free holiday if they bring a load of drugs in their suitcase. he then tells them that customs on the other side have been paid off and will turn a blind eye.

they then get caught and reality begins to dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Another headline from the same page as the article
    World's Richest Woman Earns £1m Every Hour

Kind of fits in with the thread title too

"I did it for my children says party girl"

Mrs Sandiford, who has been described as the "neighbour from hell" and a "party girl", is believed to have told police she only agreed to smuggle the drugs because her two sons, who are aged 22 and 24, were being threatened. Appearing at a press conference wearing a prison T-shirt, Mrs Sandiford was paraded in front of the haul of drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

farmchoice wrote: »
    having watched banged up abroad a lot there is always one common theme that runs through each case, the pepole who do this are very very stupid.

nearly every case is the same, some guy promises them 5,000 to 10,000 pounds and a free holiday if they bring a load of drugs in their suitcase. he then tells them that customs on the other side have been paid off and will turn a blind eye.

But presumably 99 times out of 100 the drugs do make it from 'A' to 'B'. Otherwise the smugglers would find another way to get them into the country.

I think naive would be a better work than stupid perhaps?

It's not worth the money - if you get caught. The problem is that most people who do it, believe they won't be caught, otherwise they obviously wouldn't do it!

I've watched banged up abroad it's hard not to feel really sorry for a lot of the people on it, they got themselves into a bad situation and in some cases, when they realised what they were doing was stupid, it's too late, they're too deep into it and they fear their life more than they fear being caught.

Beefy78 wrote: »

But presumably 99 times out of 100 the drugs do make it from 'A' to 'B'. Otherwise the smugglers would find another way to get them into the country.

Exactly.it's the same old story.for all of those that are caught how many get through? Loads id imagine.

but still it must be some feeling walking towards the customs check knowing your suitcase is lined with cocaine or whatever.
    Best laxative ever lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

*Note to self - stop confusing "Banged Up Abroad" with "An Idiot Abroad" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"I did it for my children says party girl"

Mrs Sandiford, who has been described as the "neighbour from hell" and a "party girl", is believed to have told police she only agreed to smuggle the drugs because her two sons, who are aged 22 and 24, were being threatened. Appearing at a press conference wearing a prison T-shirt, Mrs Sandiford was paraded in front of the haul of drugs.
    In what weird world is a 54 year old woman a "girl"? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Exactly.it's the same old story.for all of those that are caught how many get through? Loads id imagine.

but still it must be some feeling walking towards the customs check knowing your suitcase is lined with cocaine or whatever.
    Best laxative ever lol

She could well be either a decoy/distraction for someone else to come thru with a consignment or the Customs could be in on the racket, get a few stripes and a promotion for a drugs bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Yes, she's coming up with all the excuses now. Also, I love how there's barely any mention on the 2 British men who were also arrested and face the death penalty.

Advertisement