Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commuting to UCD

Options
  • 28-05-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help with this.

I am commuting to UCD from september and just want to know the best/ quickest / cheapest way.

I can drive but drove up for an interview earlier in the year and found it so confusing and parking was a nightmare so I am not sure I can do that every day, unless parking has improved since my visit?

I have a few options:

I can get a train to heuston - but I dont know how I would get from heuston to UCD. are there any reliable buses that go directly from heuston to UCD and would get me in there before 9am. ( and where do they pick up and drop off?)

I can drive to maynooth and get a train to connolly but dont know how to get from connolly to UCD. (same questions again - are there buses that go directly from connolly - ucd, where do they pick up and drop off?)

or which would be easiest to get to ucd - from connolly or heuston?

I am completely unfamiliar with dublin and the different areas and buses!

I have looked up the different buses and trains but I just found the sites so confusing - so if someone commutes themselves they might be able to explain it better!

hope someone can help!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

The 145 leaves from Heuston and stops just outside UCD. It leaves about every 10 minutes and is pretty good, but you do need to leave an hour to get out there and expect it to be busy.
    Don't know any about Connolly but I think you'd have to get as far as O Connell Street and get a bus from there. I think the 46A goes that way and also stops just outside UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Drive to Maynooth, get the train to Connolly, switch at Connolly and get dart to dart to Sydney Parade and its a 10 minute walk from there (or the 3 bus picks you up outside sydney parade, if you cant be bothered walking)

Heuston is bad idea as you deal with quayes traffic, you'll end up killing yourself. And the parking in UCD is always that bad. Stick to train / avoid road transport as much as possible around rush hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Drive to Maynooth, get the train to Connolly, switch at Connolly and get dart to dart to Sydney Parade and its a 10 minute walk from there (or the 3 bus picks you up outside sydney parade, if you cant be bothered walking)

Heuston is bad idea as you deal with quayes traffic, you'll end up killing yourself. And the parking in UCD is always that bad. Stick to train / avoid road transport as much as possible around rush hour.

Wasn't the three cancelled just two weeks ago? If you walk from Connolly to o'connell street/ Westmoreland street you can pick up the 46a, the 145 or the Xpress buses (Make sure you get a rambler if you're using the X buses.) All of them go to UCD or if you walk down the quays you'll get the 39a :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Wasn't the three cancelled just two weeks ago? If you walk from Connolly to o'connell street/ Westmoreland street you can pick up the 46a, the 145 or the Xpress buses (Make sure you get a rambler if you're using the X buses.) All of them go to UCD or if you walk down the quays you'll get the 39a :)

I assumed that was just for the summer?? :eek: I hope not, as that's my way of getting to college...arse.

Time to find new bus / invest in bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I assumed that was just for the summer?? :eek: I hope not, as that's my way of getting to college...arse.

Time to find new bus / invest in bike.

As far as I know it's now part of the 44 route instead. I used to take it from the Santry end...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭JaneLane

What you want is a commute that is less hassle for you and one that won't break your heart every morning! :)

If your nearest train station stops in Heuston take full advantage because you'll have less than a 2 minute walk from the train to the 145 that will drop you off on the UCD flyover! Believe me, by the time November rolls around you won't want any un-necessary travel time eating in to what could be much needed sleeping time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭slick89

You could drive to Maynooth and get the 66x straight to UCD? Takes about 75 minutes but at least there iss no changing buses/trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Where are you actually coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

[Quote=[Jackass];78907902]

Time to find new bus / invest in bike.[/Quote]
    The 47 now covers the Sandymount - N11 stretch of the 3, very infrequent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jennyanne

I will be coming from laois, I can get a train from portlaoise (my nearest station) to Heuston or drive to maynooth and get the train from there to connolly! But getting from both to ucd seem confusing so heuston might be easiest with less stress.

As far as I know I could get a bus in the morning from portlaoise to UCD and it will get me in there before 9 but its getting home in the evening that is the problem (the bus leaves ucd at half 4 and as far as I know the Ma in social work timetable means being in til 5) So i need to find a different route home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 miglytia

I was commuting from Portlaoise for the whole year. Used to get a train to Heuston (~50 to 60 mins) and then use bus 145 to UCD (~40 mins) (which is frequent as mentioned before!). I liked the train cause you can do some study if you need to, or just sleep haha, cause traveling was tiring especially at the end of the semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If peeps are willing to walk from Connolly to Westmorlen ect then you would probably be just as well driving, parking off campus and walking on (although petrol would rinse your wallet).

Anyway Jackass might be right about the quays, but in my experience 145 is a great bus, so I'd recommend Heuston.

Advertisement