Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re

Options
  • 28-05-2012 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

I am finding it very frustrating to be honest. :mad:Any time I am looking at a potential "coffee shop/restaurant" which has the "to let" sign, I find when I ring the agent that it has been let but they can't be a***d to change the sign or take it off the websites such as Daft. Also equally frustrating are property agents who have an empty property ie Main Street in Malahide and when you want to discuss this with them they are not interested in necogiating re rent-free period so you can fit-out the place, lease terms or lowering rent if there is not a rent free period so this gives you time to sort yourself out. It is no wonder this country is the way it is with attitudes such as this. I have some redundancy money and would like to invest in something but am hitting "brick walls" in talking to agents. Sorry for the rant but would love to know why this is so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I know how you feel we had somthing similar in 2011 when we were looking at 1 premises in particular. Kept being told that the building was let but after persisting with agent we found out who the landlord was and said the place was for rent. When we met the landlord face to face they werent aware the place had any previous offers on it. I would push the agents and not take their NO answer. Their only agents and its not their decission to rent to you. See if you can find out who the owner is and contact them directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Thanks Neris. That is great info. I will do that trw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Also check if theres any chance the building may be owned by a Nama client and contact Nama see if they have the premises within their portfolio and tell them you keep getting told no. Theres a good chance they,ll tell the agent/owner to talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭here2surf

Sometimes it is easier and more cost effective to employ an agent.
    They will earn their fee by saving you the same and maybe more.
    Estate agents in this country are a bit of a cartel and as most know each other they will do deals.
    They will also be informed of properties before they hit market and will negotiate favourable rent free and break clauses as they are at the coal face.
    Negotiate a flat fee and only on the deal closing.
    Best of luck!

Advertisement