Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I set up a RAID 0 with my SSD's ??

Options
  • 28-05-2012 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

Hi guys , would there be a benefit to setting up a RAID 0 with my SSD drives ?? Would it make it any faster ?? Or is it worth the hassle ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You don't need raid with an SSD, Raid was used on mechanical drives to improve seek times. Seek times on SSD's are virtually zero, there is no spin up time. Raid 0 doesn't give much more speed, about 30% faster than a single drive at the cost of 2 drives. SSD's are already lightning quick, would you even notice this 30%. Give yourself more space, if you're a gamer you'll need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

would probably be worth it if you only have sata2 as the bottleneck is going to be the sata ports rather than the ssd(s) themselves.

i went from a single 60gb sata3 ssd on a sata2 system two two 60gb sata3 ssd's in raid0 and you definitely notice the speed difference booting the system and playing games, but other than that its so quick even with one ssd that you wouldn't see it with regular stuff, so if you are a speed demon who reboots your pc a lot and play a lot of games then it might be worth it, but otherwise, probably not.

Advertisement